[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs May 16-17, 2008

** CHINA. The morning of May 17, Firedrake musical jamming was all over the place, so I checked some of them out, here arranged in frequency rather than logging time order. Victims looked up in Aoki:

17565, the Firedrake jammer against variable V. of Tibet via Uzbekistan was on here until 1400* and did not return later. The day before yesterday was on 17575, the day before that on 17565.

15285, FD very good mixing with BBCWS Chinese ID (via Singapore) at 1359. This one produces an interesting effect by tuning to 15280 or 15290 during the high-audio-frequency segments, which I have not noticed on other FD outlets. Sort of like listening to a different version of the music. With BFO on, no spurious carriers on the sidebands, however.

14410, FD as Sound of Hope jammer at 1411. SOH not audible.

13830, FD audible at 1350, vs inaudible RFA Tibetan via Tajikistan.

13365, first one checked, FD at 1349 // 11990 and all the others. 13365 presumably against one of the inaudible low-power Sound of Hope transmitters. Rather than turning off at hourtop for monitoring check, 13365 was in open carrier at 1402, resuming music at 1404:30.

12040, FD very good at 1412, but with SAH of about 5 Hz and victim audible under, VOA Chinese via Philippines.

11990 at 1349, FD vs inaudible VOA Chinese via Novosibirsk.

11965 at 1417, weak FD vs inaudible VOA Chinese via Tinang.

11805 at 1415, FD overriding RHC Spanish, not usually the case. Commies vs Commies! Vs. inaudible VOA Chinese via Tinian.

11665 at 1413 FD; vs inaudible RTI Chinese.

11510 at 1413 FD mixing with something, i.e. VOA Tibetan via Sri Lanka.

9845 at 1421, FD, SAH and co-channel audible from victim, VOA Chinese via Tinang

9605 at 1420, FD mixing with Chinese, BBCWS via Singapore.

9450 at 1418, FD against a hi-power Taiwan Sound of Hope, with SAH.

These are just the tip of the Firedrake iceberg, against many more victims if I had kept digging or FE propagation were even better.

How can China expect any respect from the nations whose broadcasts it tries to block, let alone from the world at large? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** COSTA RICA [and non]. TIRWR, 11870, May 16 at 1313, with a wavering het. This one has been off-frequency before, and now I expect it is this transmitter with is somewhat unstable compared to another 11870 station, which would be IBB Tinang, Philippines; after 1330, however, RVA Palauig, Philippines takes over, and it too could be unstable/off frequency. In any event, unlistenable due to WYFR 11865 splatter.

Checked again May 17 at 1342, Defunct Gene Scott with same warbling het, but now it`s against RVA, so the same thing happens against two different 11870 stations, further confirming the problem is at Cahuita, which is slightly on the low side.

BTW, TIRWR has not been heard at all on 9725 mornings or evenings for a good many days (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. RHC anomaly report: May 17 at various chex between 1325 and 1414, 11760 was just open unmodulated carrier. 11805 was modulated, but under Firedrake at 1415 --- Commies vs Commies! 12000 also had co-channel QRM, from VOR Chinese via Khabarovsk (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ECUADOR [and non]. Finally had a chance to check out HCJB`s ham-transmitter on 21455, supposedly USB but recently reported as LSB. May 16 around 1830 a weak signal, but it was in German and equally LSB/USB --- that`s WYFR to Europe, weak enough to be HCJB but which uses this frequency 1600-1945, with HCJB before and after. At 2038 in Spanish, now it`s really HCJB and yes, reduced carrier plus USB, not LSB, very weak. So there (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. VOI has been pretty regular on 9526 lately, best before 1400, but May 17 at 1419 must have been off, as CRI Russian had no het at all to 9525 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** JAPAN [and non]. NHK Warido R. Japan via Sackville, 11705, May 17 at 1423 during World Interactive also had a weak pre-echo, indicating another transmitter site also on 11705. In fact, we found it odd that in A-07, Yamata is also registered to 11705 at 1315-1430, 235 degrees in various languages, and indeed we heard it earlier at 1315, but it`s normally inaudible, and I thought it really went off at 1400, but the current schedule http://www.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/radio/shortwave/all.pdf
does show 11705 as in English at 1400-1430 to SE Asia, following Indonesian at 1315. This was an above-average ``FE morning``, cf all the Firedrakes (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** LAOS [non]. Hmong Lao Radio via WHRI, Sat May 17 at 1330, talk and bits of traditional music, no rap, thank a god. Altho a good signal, this is no longer the super-signal it used to be from 250 kW Angel 2. It has been demoted to 100 kW Angel 6, as implied but not stated in the WHR online schedules, and confirmed in registrations as 100 kW now while in B-07 this was 250 kW, still at 315 degrees toward Hminnesota. IBB Udorn at 30 degrees toward us + Firedrake still audible underneath (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MOROCCO [and non]. 15345, May 16 at 2038 had Arabic dominating in poor signal, but with a very fast SAH estimated around 25-30 Hz. With BFO on, it was obvious there were two carriers offset, as two hets at once could be heard by sidetuning slightly, the other being of course Argentina (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Looking for WBCQ-4 (should we call it that?), not heard at all May 15, or morning of May 16 but finally just barely audible at 1705 May 16 on 15420-CUSB, with New Mexico prophet intoning. Poor at peaks, between fadeouts. Also around 1945 recheck. Hard to believe this is 50 kW, even PEP, aimed toward TX if not OK. Allan Weiner later confirmed they were off the air May 15, back May 16, and working on raising the power. May 17 at 1308 could only hear DW Russian via Rampisham. The hours WBCQ is active on 15420 are quite unclear and variable. See also WHRA item (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Altho the WHR online schedule for Angel 5 at http://www.whr.org/customcf/dsp_schedule_read.cfm?Search=Angel5
claims it is on 15710 until 1400, then 15195 seven days a week, I have not been hearing it on weekdays. On Sat May 17 at 1359-1400 they were inbooming at the QSY time. These are of interest only to compare with the other Maine station on 19m, WBCQ 15420-CUSB (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Super-enthusiastic sports coverage in English, Sat May 17 at 1421 on 9840. I figured it must be BBCWS so tried to // it to 21470-Ascension, which was just barely audible. I think it was // but less certain once I look up 9840 and do not find BBC there. WHRI is normally dominating 9840; the online WHR sked, however shows Angel 2 during that hour only on Sat and Sun, and this nevertheless was Sat (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: