[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs May 18, 2008

** CHINA. Firedrake musical jamming check Sunday May 18, noting some differences from the day before:

17565, poor at 1336, so must be the current jumpy frequency of V. of Tibet via Uzbekistan? Not 17557 as in Aoki, but probably lands there upon occasion. Ends at 1400.

17550, FD at 1406, no doubt vs V. of Tibet via Madagascar, which I believe does not jump around or vary. Starts at 1400.

14410 and 13345, FD at 1411, both against low-power Sounds of Hopes. 14410 had quite a good signal but with flutter. The 13345 transmitter was on 13365 the day before (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** JAPAN [and non]. Good signal with music on 13630, May 18 at 1413 initially seemed Solh-like, but not when the Japanese lyrix came thru. And yes, // but not synch with NHK 11705 via Canada. 13630 is Skelton at 70 degrees, but I suppose might be useful in NE America, too close to Sackville for the 1400-1430 English broadcast.

11815 in Japanese at 1417 had annoying het from REE Costa Rica, still off-frequency 11814. This is a problem only on Sundays as Cariari does not start `11815` until 1800 on weekdays, 1600 on Saturdays, but 1200 on Sundays (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA. 17660, May 18 at 1406 with Qur`an, 1407 talk in French, very poor signal but better than usual. This is the BSKSA 14-16 French service of R. Riyadh, aimed due west. At first I was thinking this should be V. of Africa, Libya, in English, during the same bihour, but that is now on 17725 aimed due south, unheard (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. See UNIDENTIFIED 9840 in previous report. Andy Sennitt says the live sports broadcast I heard Saturday morning on 9840 coincided with BBCWS coverage of the FA Cup Final at Wembley, live at 1400-1550 UT. I checked 24 hours later, May 18 at 1358 and heard WHRI as scheduled, with long-version in-your-face, Moslems, ``Onward Christian Soldiers`` theme, which I must admit is a stirring piece of music, and continuing with gospel huxter in English, rechecked at 1420. Not a very good signal here as aimed 25 degrees.

(BTW, Aoki lists this as ``Furman-Noblesville``. Please! Noblesville, Indiana is nowhere near Furman, South Carolina, and Noblesville has been kaput as a SW site ever since WHRI bought WSHB years ago! Drive a stake through it. HQ of WHR is still in South Bend, Indiana, which is NOT next to Noblesville either, an Indianapolis suburb.)

Anyhow, my theory now is, since WHRI is also scheduled on 9840 on Saturdays at this time, but was not heard, instead BBC, and this was a Very Important Sporting Event, and BBC still has a relay relationship with WHR (Spanish at 12-13 on 9410), that this was a one-off special BBC relay via WHRI that they didn`t bother to tell us about. How many silly ballgame fanatix did not know about it either? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VENEZUELA [non]. Sunday May 18 check of Aló, Presidente service via Cuba: at 1408, 17750 was audible, contrary to usual situation, but much better on // 13750, and also // poor 11875 which had co-channel, which per EiBi and Aoki could only be Taiwan in Indonesian. 1409 starting Mundo 7 runup program produced by RHC, with Entre Cubanos to follow later. Also audible at 1416 on 11670, which made an echo with 13750 due to different transmitter site and/or program feed routing (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: