and
KGO San Francisco..fascinating and long forgotten callsigns and names
of
broadcast pioneers..now at www.radioheritage.net

Coming soon..Australia Radio Dial 1931.

Plans to privatize the Samoan Broadcasting Corporation feature in our
multi-media presentation Samoan Radio Sale Threatens Public Radio
Future. Online you'll find the full story plus exclusive images,
expert
analysis of public radio changes in Samoa, Cook Islands and American
Samoa and
what the future holds as new and free public radio services enter the
airwaves. At www.RNZI.com you can listen to the audio version as one
of our growing number of documentaries featuring on the long running
'Mailbox' program. [Click on January 21 audio]

            This is one of a new series looking at challenges facing
Pacific radio that we'll be releasing over the coming six
months.leading up
to the Pacific Radio Conference to be held in Wellington, New Zealand
in lateSeptember 2008. You'll find more information about the
conference
shortly at www.radioheritage.net.

Keep September 26-28 free and make plans to attend. We've booked
substantial room blocks at several central city hotels at excellent
rates, and it just so happens that the world famous Wearable Arts
Awards will be on in the city at the same time!

RNZI/Radio New Zealand Shortwave 60th Anniversary...September 26,
2008 is also the anniversary of shortwave broadcasting from New
Zealand. We're
looking for old audio recordings, program guides, QSL cards, magazine
or newspaper clippings, photos, and memories of the station, its
programs and personalities. Can you help? Let us know what you have
as it may help us as we research special radio documentaries for RNZI
to celebrate the
anniversary. What you have, may be a vital part of the story!

            Please email info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or write to us at
Radio
Heritage Foundation, PO Box 14339, Wellington 6241, New Zealand. You
can also see our online account of the first broadcasts from Radio New
Zealand on shortwave at www.radioheritage.net today.

More New Content Online ..our series about radio broadcasting in the
Borneo and Singapore region continues with the story of Radio in
Brunei, our series about American broadcasting from Australia during
WWII now
includes VLC Shepparton and the story of early American shortwave
radio heard
around the Pacific has added CBS on Air from Philadelphia [WCAU].and
we'll continue to add more to these series shortly.

            You'll also find the story about Radio Pasifik Nauru the
new station on the island, and one that may hold some of the answers
to the challenges facing Pacific radio today.  Golden Memories looks
at how
radio broadcasting of music from the 1930s-50s may help elderly
Australians
cope with the challenges of growing old.

Volunteers Needed to Grow Website Content...our webmaster needs help!
Do you have a spare hour or two a week? Some basic knowledge of HTML,
CSS, ASP, image optimization, RSS and FTP desirable, but also
suitable for
people wanting to learn.

            The job involves taking stories and provided images and
making them up accurately according to a template, deciding on image
size/placement and optimizing for the web, modifying an RSS file,
uploading the files to a test site. Opportunities are available to
undertake functional
development with ACCESS databases and ASP if suitable.

            These are volunteer roles, and you'll be contributing to
the growth of the Radio Heritage Foundation website
www.radioheritage.net
During 2007, the number of hits to the site rose 65% over 2006 to
reach almost 2 million, and the number of visitors grew almost 60% to
reach nearly 200,000. Volunteers welcome from anywhere in the world.

Contact us today at info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you'd like to help us
expand. Volunteering with us is fun!

Kiwi Radio Campaign....you'll see we now have a special zone at the
website for news and information about the 3 year
campaign...including an
item about our first Kiwi Radio Celebrity.Ambrose Reeves Harris, the
founder of the Radio Broadcasting Company of NZ.

Pacific Radio Guides.......Bruce Portzer in Seattle continues to
expand this wonderful online service for listeners, stations and the
business community. As well as the Pacific Asian Log Mediumwave guide
we now have the Pacific Asian Log Shortwave guide and work has now
started on the new Pacific Asian Log FM guide to reflect the massive
growth in FM radio across the entire region.

            These are major efforts, with thousands of stations,
transmitters, locations and other data available to freely download or
search online at www.radioheritage.net.

            You'll also enjoy our new series of Pacific Radio Guides,
coming online shortly, and starting with New Zealand AM Radio,
Australia Narrowband 1611-1702 AM Radio, Hawaii AM Radio, Pacific
Islands AM
Radio and Pacific Islands FM Radio.

            Our highly popular New Zealand Low Power FM Radio Guide
will be included in the new series, and is currently online with
nearly 1,200
entries. Check out the NZLPFM Blog for some great art work and news
from some of the great LPFMs on air today! We'll also be making guides
easier to access, easier to use, and expanding the information
available. In the meantime, enjoy!

Pacific Wide Content.also coming in 2008, many more early Australian
AM stations from our popular Long lost Australian Radio Stars series,
more in our Armed Forces Radio Heritage series, more of our popular
on-line art exhibitions in the Art of Radio series, and more from our
Radio
Dial series.

            Los Angeles, San Francisco, Argentina, Japan, China,
Canada, Papua New Guinea, Australia and New Zealand, as well as
Antarctica, are just some of the places covered in our planned
content during the year..and if there are places and stations you
want to see included, write to us at info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and tell
us.

Like what we're doing, and want to be part of this incredibly popular
cultural preservation project? Here's how to help us today!

1. Visit www.radioheritage.net regularly and check what's new, buy
our books and CD's

2. Send us your stories, your radio memorabilia, photos, audio
[tapes, CDs] so we can share them and make sure precious items don't
get lost or destroyed

3. Tell your friends about us and encourage them to tell their
friends too!

4. Volunteer as editors, researchers, assistant web developers and
editors, local representatives, and become part of a global team
[only an hour or two a week is needed]

5. Send us station promotion items [caps, t-shirts, CD's and other
merchandise] that we can then sell to help cover our operating costs
as print cartridges, filing cabinets, power, telephone, storage
folders and other consumables cost real money

Donations

6. Make a donation towards our non-profit research, publishing and
promotional work. We have one fulltime worker who depends on your
donations to pay the daily bills and has mortgaged his own home to
get this project to the growth point and popularity it now enjoys.
Online donations are warmly welcome at www.radioheritage.net, using
your VISA/Mastercard.

The Radio Heritage Foundation is a registered charitable trust in New
Zealand. From April 2008, you'll be able to see our financial
accounts and budget online. Donations of $5 or more in New Zealand
are tax deductible. We receive no regular funding from any source and
are denied funding by New Zealand On Air. Please support our helpful
partners www.2day.com, ProCopy [email: mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ] and
www.pcwiz2u.co.nz.

Our address: PO Box 14339, Wellington 6241, New Zealand.
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and our website: www.radioheritage.net

subject line. However, we hope you don't mind hearing from us from
time to time. Our apologies if you get more than one copy.

Please pass this newsletter on to friends and colleagues who you
think will be interested in making the connections between radio and
popular culture across the Asia Pacific region. No state funded radio
or sound archives in the entire region makes their collections freely
available online 24/7 like we do.

Order your WRTH 2008: