[HCDX] WNTP DX test barely heard in OK

** U S A [and non]. Tried for the postponed WNTP 990 Philadelphia DX test UT
March 15, using DX-398 in the yard. Fortunately it had stopped raining a few
hours earlier and things had dried off somewhat. First try around 0420 UT
yielded nothing, nor expected with day pattern toward SE.

Listened intently from 0450 to 0500 during the ND 12.5 kW portion. XET was not
much of a problem, close to a right angle, and no sign of CBW, which can boom
in when K-indices are low. SWPC says: The mid-latitude K-index at 0300 UTC on
15 March was 2 (18 nT). But aimed toward Philadelphia, there was still a pile
of QRM, multiple subaudible heterodynes from all the other stations, almost
like a graveyard. However, at 0451 I could hear an occasional tone, but never
copy any Morse code ID. At times the tones seemed evenly spaced like a
timesignal. Sweeps definitely heard peaking around 0454-0456. So I count this
only on the basis of assuming no other station would be transmitting such
material. Right at 0500 on came the Cuban National Anthem, from the SE,
presumably R. Guamá, Pinar del Rio, as mentioned by Arnie Coro in DXLD 8-031,
if that is the only Cuban on the frequency, but not noticed prior to that. No
IBOC from KTOK-1000 audible, which wipes out 990 here in the daytime.

No doubt those closer to Philly or with better equipment heard the WNTP test
more definitely than I did. Many tnx to René Tetro for putting it on (Glenn
Hauser, Enid, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Looking for last minute shopping deals?

Order your WRTH 2008: