[HCDX] VOA and RFA Increase Broadcasts to Tibet

VOA and RFA Increase Broadcasts to Tibet

PRESS RELEASE -  Washington, D.C. March 17, 2008 - U.S. international radio
broadcasts to Tibet will increase by four hours daily beginning tonight at
6:00 p.m. EDT, 6:00 a.m. local time in Lhasa.
"The violent crackdown by Chinese authorities in Tibet compels us to
increase our broadcasts," said James K. Glassman, Chairman of the BBG, which
oversees all non-military U.S. international broadcasting including the
Voice of America (VOA) and Radio Free Asia (RFA). "Our audience clearly will
benefit from these trustworthy sources of news and information, which differ
sharply from Chinese government sanctioned broadcasts."
At present RFA broadcasts eight hours daily to Tibet via shortwave radio.
VOA broadcasts four hours daily, also via shortwave. Each will expand radio
programs by two additional hours daily. VOA also will double its weekly
Tibetan-language television programming from one to two hours via the
AsiaSat 3 satellite.
"RFA's Tibetan service is working around the clock to bring authoritative,
breaking news to the Tibetan people. These additional hours will greatly
enhance our capacity to deliver this news, including live updates, to people
on the ground," RFA President Libby Liu said.
Tibet's media is tightly controlled and most Tibetans are deeply suspicious
of Chinese domestic media coverage. BBG audience research, while limited to
Tibetan refugees in Nepal, indicates that VOA and RFA are among the most
well known foreign broadcasters and an important source of information in a
society where word of mouth is the top way to share news.
"We know from experience that Tibetans will tune to VOA at pivotal times
such as these," said Danforth Austin, Director of the Voice of America. "For
example, a VOA special TV program about the Dalai Lama receiving a gold
medal from the U.S. Congress was recorded and widely distributed in Tibetan
regions inside China."

(VOA Press Release )
Alokesh Gupta
New Delhi