[HCDX] RE; Dxers Unlimited´s mid week edition for 18-19 March 2008

Radio Havana Cuba

Dxers Unlimited

Dxers Unlimited´s midweek edition 18- 19 March 2008

By Arnie Coro

Radio amateur CO2KK

Hi amigos radioaficionados, around the world and orbiting planet Earth… ONCE AGAIN, with a zero sunspot count, and NO CORONAL HOLES, I give you my welcome to the mid week edition of Dxers Unlimited .I am Arnaldo, Arnie, Coro, radio amateur CO2KK, your host here at this Radio Havana Cuba twice weekly program, devoted entirely to the promotion and development of our wonderful hobby , yours and mine: RADIO… a hobby we can enjoy in so many different ways that they defy imagination… from having the unique opportunity of helping to save the lives of people aboard a sinking boat via amateur radio, to enjoying the beautiful sight of a valley below a TV tower where you have climbed to install a new ham radio repeater for your radio club, or perhaps you may be fascinated by the beautiful music heard on the 60 meter Tropical Broadcast Band coming from several African stations… Si amigos, yes my friends, oui mes amis, radio is a really challenging hobby, where you can relax placing small electronic components to circuit boards in your quest towards a new receiver, or simply desolder parts from old circuit boards removed from electronic equipment that otherwise will go to the junk yard and pollute the environment. So far , my list of the many ways we can enjoy our radio hobby has grown up to 83 and for sure, there are many more to be explored.

Item two: A broken down, or an obsolete cellphone can be the source of two highly valuable devices… a nice high quality electret microphone element, and an also high quality optimized for voice communications earphone… So, don´t throw away the old analog cellphones before removing the microphone element and the earphone capsule… My amateur radio two meters band handie talkie now has a much better microphone element than the original one, thanks to that simple surgical electronic transplant operation… it took about an hour to extract the analog Nokia cellphone microphone element and then install it on the old 1991 vintage YAESU FT 411 two meters band handie talkie… Reports received on the local 145.190 Havana Metropolitan Area repeater were very encouraging, telling me that the Nokia microphone element from the cellphone was a much better quality mike than the original element used by YAESU… And of course that as soon as I am able to get a hold of another broken down cellphone I will use it to replace the active element on an very old 6 meters band transceiver that has received some not very nice audio quality reports…

Item three: Radio hobby related questions keep coming in to arnie at rhc dot cu on a daily basis, they add up, and now I have a big backlog … that I hope to be able to catch up with during the weekend… In the meantime , here is the answer to a question sent in several different forms by nine listeners from places so far apart as South Africa and Australia, and as near to Cuba as the Bahamas, that by the way, is the closest to Cuba nation… because Cayo Lobos, or Lobos Key that forms part of the Bahamas archipelago is just 22 kilometers away from the northern coast of Cuba across the Old Bahamas Channel…The question is about wideband receiving antennas that can be built and installed by the average short wave listener that obviously is not a radio engineer… So now, here is ASK ARNIE, the most popular section of Dxers Unlimited, answering today the question, which broadband antenna design is the easiest to homebrew by the average short wave listener…

Well I must say that the reply to this question has to be divided in two parts: the first part is about the FAN BROADBAND ANTENNA, that is the easiest of them all to homebrew, and the second part is about the somewhat more complicated TTFD or Tilted Terminated Folded Dipole Broadband antenna, so well researched by my good friend and topmost antenna ¨¨guru¨ Professor L.B. Cebik , radio amateur W4RNL.

So, let´s start with the FAN DIPOLE , after a short break for station ID… stay right on this frequency or world wide web connection , as Dxers Unlimited´s mid week edition continues in a few seconds… I am Arnie Coro in Havana…

…..

Si amigos, you are listening to Radio Havana Cuba´s radio hobby program… Now , as promised here is information on how to assemble and install your own fan dipole antenna, one of the easiest to build broadband systems for short wave reception.

In actual practice, I have tested and experimented with three different sizes of FAN ANTENNAS… one, designed to work from 3 to 10 megaHertz, but also capable of good performance up to around 20 or 22 megaHertz, another one of a much more practical size that works nicely from 6 to 18 megaHertz and a compact, much smaller version that was designed during the peak of solar cycle 23 for optimum performance between 15 and 45 megaHertz. As you may realize , these antennas cover a typical three to one frequency ratio, but they will still provide rather good reception on higher frequencies.

Let´s start with the medium sized FAN DIPOLE, that according to letters and e-mail messages received from Dxers Unlimited´s listeners around the world, is the one most feasible to homebrew and install… It is made of number 12 bare copper wire. You start by cutting six identical lengths of wire that are 9 and a half meters long each… Each wire is attached at one end to a high quality insulator, that you can even make yourself to save money. The FAN antenna is a dipole, that has three wires on each side of the center insulator, that is made from a heavy piece of polyethylene used as a kitchen cutting board in its original application.

You will have to drill several holes to the polyethylene cutting board in order to hold the six wires to it, and also to hold the antenna feeder wires.

The wires forming each leg of the antenna spread out from the center insulator so that at the end they are separated by one and a half meters from each other ….

The antenna feedline is connected to each of the wires forming the dipole, and my advice is to use a very easy to homebrew air dielectric one to one balun or balanced to unbalanced transformer that will interconnect the antenna to a coaxial cable feedline.

The overall length of the actual antenna is about 20 meters, including the required insulated cords that hold the antenna wires to the two support structures.

The actual antenna length is 18 meters, so it will operate as a dipole with broadband characteristics between 6 and 18 megaHertz, allowing very nice reception of the international short wave broadcast bands starting at 49 meters, and going up to 41, 31,25, 22, 19 and 16 meters… So you end up with an antenna that works very well for receiving the seven most used international short wave broadcast band… But that´s not all amigos !!! There are more good things about this FAN DIPOLE… it will allow amateur radio operators to use if on 40, 30, 20, 17 ,15, 12 and 10 meters too…again on the seven most active ham bands…

And because the antenna works so nicely from 6 to 18 megaHertz it will make a very worthwhile addition to your communications utilities monitoring station too.

The SIX WIRE FAN DIPOLE, is also a nice looking antenna system, that can be installed easily by just two persons… Please don´t attempt to install this antenna all by yourself, because it will be rather difficult due to the many wires involved…

By the way , the air core balanced to unbalanced wide band transformer is made on a length of white PVC pipe of twelve millimeters diameter to which three interlaced wires are wound for a total of twelve turns… This makes a very nice high performance low loss BALUN, that will cost next to nothing…

For cable runs no longer than 15 to 20 meters you can use RG58 or RG59 coaxial cable, but if the antenna is located more than 20 meters away from the shack,, it is a much better option to use LOWER LOSS RG213 50 ohms coaxial cable…

One final comment about this general purpose broadband short wave antenna system… I have even used it, with the help of an antenna tuner, to operate on the 6 meters or 50 megaHertz amateur band, and made contacts with stations several thousand miles away from Havana !!!

There is no magic involved in the overall length of this antenna or in the separation of the wires at the ends… just plain good sound radio engineering , confirmed by actual highly reliable practical results… Of the three FAN DIPOLE designs , the one just described is certainly the most popular one, although the smaller more compact version has also received good comments from Dxers Unlimited´s listeners that have built it because they had no other choice due to lack of enough space to install the 18 meters long version of the FAN ANTENNA…

If you need any help , or want to clarify something about this antenna design, just send an e mail to arnie at rhc dot cu and I will be very happy to reply as soon as possible… The better antennas you have, the more you will always enjoy our hobby amigos !!! As the spring equinox approaches, installing a new short wave antenna will be a very rewarding project amigos !!!

……

You are listening to the mid week edition of Dxers Unlimited, and here is now our next item…it´s about amateur radio operators here in Cuba now getting ready for the upcoming Atlantic and Caribbean Tropical Hurricane Season, due to start on the first day of June. Among the many preparations in progress are reinforcing some of our two meters band repeaters antenna systems, so that they can be able to survive to more than 150 miles per hour winds. Antennas installed atop high towers that are located high up in mountains or high raise buildings are always subjected to extreme forces that can destroy them precisely at the time that they are most needed, and that´s why our radio clubs are involved in the building and installation of very rugged antennas for the two meters band repeaters that play such an important role handling emergency communications…

And now amigos at the end of the show, here is Arnie Coro´s exclusive and not copyrighted HF plus low band VHF propagation update and forecast… Be ready for the first nice equinoctial DX openings on the 17, 15, 12 and 10 meters amateur bands…They will be starting during this week, so they are a very good solid reason to keep your ham radio transceivers on and tuning around the many beacons that provide information about band openings… If you hear even just one single beacon, then it´s time to start calling CQ DX and raise some activity on the band where the beacon is heard… Solar flux still at very low levels and no signs of cycle 24 anywhere to be seen, but again, the equinoctial DX will be here for us to enjoy despite the very low solar activity… See you all at the weekend edition of Dxers Unlimited next Saturday and Sunday amigos !!! And don´t forget to send me an e-mail with your signal reports and comments about the program, plus any radio hobby related questions that you may want to ask, as always I am at your service my friends !!!

Order your WRTH 2008: