[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs March 24-25

** ALGERIA. ~1 kHz het on WLS 890, March 25 at 0530, surely Algeria as often
heard before, but this time on my new Sony SRF-59 ultralight barefoot, given by
Kraig Krist. However, people may relax. No doubt I will make good use of this
radio, but as soon as a fad develops, I run in the other direxion, and am not
about to join the ultralight craze, dropping everything else, giving up my
bigger radios, which has overtaken once serious DX groups. BTW, axually pulling
identifiable audio from Algeria 891 is quite another matter on any radio this
far inland (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. XEYU, Radio UNAM, back on 9599.3v, March 24 at 2152 with classical,
het, after missing a few days. Also heard since then, but seems quite weaker
(Glenn Hauser, OK, March 25, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. V. of Turkey announced their 2008y contest during Live from Turkey
on March 25, as heard on webcast [6050 broadcast at 1950]: this essay writing
contest is titled ``Why the Voice of Turkey?`` Tell us about ourselves --- are
you pleased with our programming? Suggestions to make it better? Satisfied?
Maximum two pages [undefined]. Deadline 7/31/08 [postmark or receipt?]. There
will be 8 winners of a 12-day holiday in Turkey beginning this October. Send to
VOT, P O Box 333, 06443 Yeneshehir, Ankara, Turkey, or englishdesk at
trt.net.tr  That`s a paraphrase of the announcement which no doubt will be
heard many more times. IIRC, no one writing in English won last year (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U K [non]. WHRI still on 9525 during ex-BBCWS hours, March 24 at 2150 check,
but playing gospel rock fill music, of which they have an endless supply. WHR
online schedule still shows BBC during the 4 hours previously relayed. Hey, why
not just `fill` with BBC anyway, a helluva lot better than that music, whether
BBC buys the time or not. Would BBC disallow? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

**  U S A [non?]. VOA in African language at 1504 March 24 on 9605, soon
confirmed with VOA jingles at 1509, to 1530* with usual non-specific sign-off.
This was so strong I just about concluded it had to be Greenville, probably an
early replacement for Morocco; atop some CCI which would be BBC Singapore in
Chinese, jamming. However, listings show the 1500-1530 broadcast on 9605 is VOA
Hausa via São Tomé, 335 degrees, so it`s azimuthally favorable for us.
Greenville is used at other times for Hausa aimed east, and I would expect to
see more usage, at least temporarily, of Greenville for Africa as Morocco
demises (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VENEZUELA [non]. RNV CI via Cuba, 11680, March 24 at 1511 check had YL in
English doing hard-to-follow voiceover to a Chávez pronouncement (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Checked 2980 as reported by the Albertans, March 25 around 0550,
and occasionally traces of music surfaced above the high local noise level;
that`s all (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Looking for last minute shopping deals?

Order your WRTH 2008: