[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs March 31, 2008

** AFGHANISTAN [non]. Looking for Radio Solh on A-08 frequency 17700 via
Rampisham UK, ex-15265: March 31 nothing audible before 1500, but at 1504 had
started to fade in with usual great mix of music, but different selexions than
we had been hearing before 1500 on 15265 in B-07. Some fadeouts, but still
going past 1542. Scheduled until 1800, but not audible at 1733 recheck (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ALBANIA. R. Tirana, still on 13640 in English to NAm, but one UT hour
earlier at 1430 exc Sundays. Checked March 31 at 1432, finishing announcement
of English schedule, into news. SINPO 25332 with some deep fades. If I could
get rid of my line noise level, it could be listenable, but Tirana is doing the
best it can under the circumstances, and at least there is zero interference
from broadcast stations. There is some CODAR, which became audible toward the
end and was clearly on 13640 when Tirana closed at 1458* (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** AUSTRALIA. A bit of welcome classical music at tune-in 1329 March 31 on
15400; must be a BBC program closing. Imagine my horror when at 1330 I heard an
ID for HCJB Global Voice, Australia, and into Chinese! A-08 scheduling shows
BBC Ascension breaks on 15400 between 1130 and 1500, and HCJB is on there from
1030 to 1430. HCJB Kununurra was also heard with gospel rock on 15540 until
1328*. CVC Darwin in English on 13635 was much stronger than either HCJB
frequency (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. Just like yesterday`s report of Sackville mixing products on 15220
and 15280 produced by the too-close transmitters on 15240 and 15260 until 1330
--- March 31 at 1502 the CRI Chinese relay on 15260 and the R. Sweden Swedish
relay on 15240 did the same to 15220 and 15280 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST) See also SWEDEN [non]

** CHINA [non]. The CRI relay via CVC Chile in English at 1300 in A-08 is on
new 15440, as fairly heard March 31 at 1326, instead of 15540 where it was last
A; there now until 1328* is HCJB Australia. CVC Portuguese 15410 was stronger
than CRI 15440 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** HAWAII [and non]. KWHR, 9930, audible in presumed Chinese with Sound of
Hope, Monday March 31 at 1417, under Firedrake. Before 1400 when in Korean
there was no jamming audible (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA [and non]. VOI has been active on 9526 the last several days but
now in A-08 after 1400 March 31 there`s a big collision and 1-kHz het as there
were in previous seasons, with equally strong station in Russian on 9525.
That`s CRI from SZG site at 35 degrees to zones 33 and 34, i.e. southeast
Russia, and incidentally onward toward NAm. So much for VOI`s
Indonesian-language hour, but should be OK for Korean until 1400 (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** JAPAN [non]. NHK World Network, R. Japan, 11705 via Canada, Monday March 31
at 1411 had YL introducing new daily (meaning week-daily?) segment, ``Today`s
Angle``. This one was about, what else, cherry blossoms, sakura. 1414 into
``technical`` sub-segment with Robert Jefferson, a native speaker of English,
on non-pink sakura existing and being developed, notably yellow ones. 1423-1427
another new, or reactivated, sub-segment, easy Japanese lessons, starting with
the essential particle ``ano``, which I gather can mean ``hey, you``, altho
more politely, to attract someone`s attention, or ``I am about to say something
to you``. (No snickering from the SS, please!). 1429 cut to RCI IS & ID before
closing announcement could give the frequency for next English broadcast, just
the time, 2200, as we are left destitute for 7.5 hours (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. XEYU has been missing again for the last few days, sought at various
times of day and night on 9599.3v; it had come back only briefly as last
reported (Glenn Hauser, OK, March 31, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NETHERLANDS [non]. RNW, on A-frequency of 9890 via Madagascar in English to
S Asia at 1400-1600, also making it here, fair signal at 1417 March 31 with
news about Turkey. We can forget about // 11835 next to WYFR (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA. BSKSA, Call of Islam service, remains on 15435, March 31 at
1502 good with muezzin. If the // is 15225, it`s blocked by CRI/Canada 15220
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN [non]. REE is still running classical music in the 1300 hour weekdays,
ex-1400 during standard time, as checked at 1310 Monday March 31 on muffled
15170 via Costa Rica, 17595 direct not having faded in yet. 1330 announcement
about Ataulfo (one must avoid thinking ``that`s awful``) Argenta. Not sure it
is the same listener-participation show any more; hope not. At 1409, 17595 was
in, with El Vestuario = the Locker-room, sports talk (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** SWEDEN [non]. R. Sweden relay via Canada in English to WNAm now one UT hour
earlier, despite WNAm except Arizona and Saskatchewan having gone on DST two
sesquiweeks before, i.e. at 1430 on 15240. Checking March 31 at 1429, George
Wood opened transmission, but 1430-1431 dead air. 1431 ``technical
difficulties`` announcements in Swedish and English, and some annoying music.
1434 cut to news already in progress. Seasonal transitions are never smooth for
RS and RCI relays. See also CANADA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** THAILAND. Have not yet checked R. Thailand transpolar to ENAm 0030-0200 on
A08 new 12120 ex-12095, but I could not help but notice at 1336 March 31 there
was strong RTTY on 12120; let`s hope not during the HSK9 sesquihour.

Also noted VOA Special English, quite good but somewhat fluttery, March 31 at
1347 on 9465. This is the same 6-degree beam from Udorn used on 12120 to ENAm,
but I wonder if they employ a much lower take-off angle for NAm? (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. VOT, 15450, March 31 at 1310 with good signal in A-08 English
frequency at 1230 for Europe, and thence NAm, ex-12035 which was seldom
listenable earlier in March. // 13685 eastward is out of question here with
Cuba 13680 adjacent (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. The A-08 frequency for VOA English to Africa from
Greenville is 15410, at 1730-2000, aimed 94 degrees but with great off-the-back
coverage into C&W NAm beyond the skip zone. The trouble is, CVC Miami
Portuguese via Chile is already on 15410 all the way from 1100 to 2400. Checked
at 1734 March 31, VOA was way atop Santiago here, in discussion of beautiful
African women being ``full-bodied``, but undercurrent of CVC audible. Closer to
Greenville in skip zone, or depending on daily, hourly propagation variations
even here, the QRM will be more equal, or even with CVC dominating (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. KTBN Salt Lake City appears to be history. Nothing on 7505 at 1350 UT
check March 31, nor on 15590 at 1805. I suppose the QRT was at 0600 or 0700 UT
March 31, as ambiguous info from station was that it would be at ``midnight
March 31``, instead of UT April 1. BTW, they had been missing for a few days in
a row more than once several months ago, and I bet these were temporary
deliberate closures to assess whether anyone noticed and the SW station was
worth keeping. Now we know the answer. Keep an ear, however on 15590, 7505,
plus 7355 in case WRNO really reactivates in April (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. Looking for WRMI on new 9955 to NAm at 1400-1600, March 31
at 1416, no trace of it even tho unneeded Dentro-Cuban jamming level was
lightened (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VATICAN. VR, 13765, March 31 at 1502 with South Asian music, and at 1523.
Good after Habana closed 13760 around 1600 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: