[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs, December 30-January 1

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs, December 30-January 1

** AUSTRIA [and non]. Tuning around for something to monitor at UT +1
yearchange, Dec 31 at 2250, found Ö1 on 5945 with runup, but before 2300 I
switched to better signal on // 6155, where there was a countdown, full strike
of some clock, and then --- what else --- ``On the Beautiful Blue Danube``, no
doubt by the VPO, but it had not finished when transmission cut off abruptly at
2308* which is precisely the time 6155 normally closes, per Aoki. Just this
once, couldn`t they have made an exception? BTW, once it was off, I could hear
lite DentroCuban jamming, a prélude to the fierce full force pending at 0000
when Radio República comes onto the frequency (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** BENIN. ORTB, 5025, on late for NYE beyond normal listed 2300* Unfortunately,
it was for naught, as all it did was QRM Cuba with a fast SAH and some audio,
Dec 31 at 2340 and still Jan 1 at 0023, 0038 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** BURKINA FASO. 5030 normally runs until 2400, but NYE Dec 31 it was on later;
Jan 1 at 0001 in French with RTB`s resolutions to serve the public, 0003 choral
hilife singing group; still on at 0023 and 0038 chex (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. CBC North Quebec, 9625, Jan 1 at 0104 with local ID and address in
Montreal, 0105 part two of Dispatches. Fair signal but no QRM and less than
full modulation was adequate for comprehension (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** CHAD. RNT, 4905 was on late NYE, Dec 31 at 2334 with speech in Arabic? Long
pause during which I could enjoy CODAR unobstructed; after a minute announcer
called ``alo?`` and then talked on phone in French to someone with gunfire(?)
in background. No, he said the explosions were ``feux d`artifice``. Next check
at 0014 Jan 1, 4905 was off. Brian Alexander says it went off at 0006 (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA [and non]. MUF was really down Jan 1 at 0045, not much propagating on
25m, but good signal on 11640 with Blue Danube version, la-la-la singalong,
0046 Chinese announcement. Believe this was CNR-1, as jammer to CBS Taiwan,
beaming 310 degrees into Mainland, per Aoki. Neither registered in HFCC, as the
ChiCom are ashamed to admit what they are doing, and Taiwan perhaps pretends
there is no such service but that doesn`t keep it from being jammed to the
point that no sign of CBS was audible here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** CUBA. Wires, or feedlines, were apparently crossed again Sunday morning Dec
30: at 1426, I found that the Aló, Presidente program from Venezuela was on
13760 which normally carries the regular RHC service. 13760 was // 13750, and
weak 13680, 11670 which were an echo apart, as well as 11875 under WEWN. 17750
inaudible if on, under WYFR. RHC itself was still going with separate program
on 11760, 11805, 12000, 15370 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA [and non]. DentroCuban Jamming Command, 5890 // 5940, Jan 1 at 0031
mixing with subversive music on VOA Spanish service, and still at 0109 recheck.
Third frequency 9885 was not audible at first and barely audible at second
check. Why doesn`t the USA jam RHC with some of our spare transmitter capacity?
It would only be fair. Have a real happy 49th (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** CUBA. RHC, 9550 // 9600, the latter with hefty het from XEYU, Jan 1 at 0100
with 8 pm timecheck, programa gigante de fin del año, which would be on until
0400 UT or local midnight, as the announcer was still confused about DST/ST/UT
time conversion. Semi-retired announcer Manolo de la Rosa joined in for the
occasion. Would this be a nice non-political, musical celebration? Of course
not! Into year-in-review news starting with the 5-yearly general elexions in
Cuba. And if I had stayed tuned a few minutes longer, I am certain I would have
heard for the millionth time about Posada Carriles and the Cinco Presos (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GERMANY [non]. If it`s Deutsche Welle, it can`t be Germany. Dec 31 at 2310
on 6075 via Rampisham and/or Sines per Aoki, feature in German about immigrants
and how those speaking various native languages are learning German. Heard the
same thing exactly two hours later on 9545 Ascension (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** IRAN. V. of Justice, 7160, 0144 Jan 1, M&W alternating with news in English,
mostly about Iraq, casualty count, US politics, Pakistan. 0150 segment
tentatively called ``Iran`s Parliamentary Spoxeman Remarx``. Sounds like they
are obsessed with the US occupation of Iraq. Good, clear audio, and impressive
signal, unlike // 6120 barely audible, QRM (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** JAPAN. This year, NHK cut back SW coverage of their NY Eve special to only
two SW frequencies, for Asia. But I could hear one of them, 9750 at 1432 Dec 31
with mix of pop music, live audience response and talk, story-telling? in
Japanese only. Unlike the last few years, however, they actually stayed on the
air and acknowledged the arrival of 2008 at midnight local, 1500 UT when there
was a countdown, brief celebration and fireworx sounds. No gongs heard until
almost 1505; reception was only fair but peaked at 1515 during drumming, and
still audible tho weak at 1538. I also heard R. Japan in English on 9875
closing at 1427 giving frequency for next broadcast at 2200, 13640. To find out
the frequencies for the 1400 broadcast you have to listen to the end of the
1310 broadcast (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST

** MALI. Observing UT, 5995 might`ve been a yearchange option at 0000; checked
at 2255 Dec 31 and was in call-in thru hourtop, 2317 singing with thumb piano
accompaniment, but blocked at 2325 by OC from Sackville, 2328:30 RCI IS & ID,
2329:30 into R. Praga relay in Spanish (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MAURITANIA. Altho R. Mauritanie usually runs to 0100 or even all night, not
so NYE: no sign of 4845 Dec 31 at 2340 or later (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** MEXICO. After a period of weakened signals, XEYU, Radio UNAM, was back at
fair-good level on 9599.2, Dec 31 at 1434 with classical guitar; 1538 even
better signal with harp music. Usually news/talk during these hours, but not on
NYE (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SERBIA [non]. Finally I could check myself for the strangely inappropriate
Italian service to North America from Belgrade, Jan 1 at 0130 on 7115, theme
and ID as Radio Internazionale di Serbia. Program would be 30 minutes of
Serbian music, but interspersed with announcements by W in Italian. At times
slow CW QRM from novice ham on low side (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN. REE, 6055, with interesting discussion of NY observations in Spain,
Dec 31 at 2313 in French (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** THAILAND. New Dynamic English with good signal Dec 29 at 1507 on 15460. At
first I thought this was one of those services to Sudan, but it`s just VOA
Special English, scheduled this hour via Thailand at 166 degrees, presumably
for Indonesia rather than Australia? No, CIRAF targets are SE Asia, Indonesia,
Australia, NZ, but not New Guinea. Why are we teaching English to the Aussies
and Enzedders in the nightmiddle? They are entitled to Border Crossings instead
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** UKRAINE. RUI reactivated on 7440 with the hi-power Lviv transmitter, now
that a new fiscal year has begun, Jan 1 at 0010 in Ukrainian talk, theme music.
Includes English to NAm at 0100-0200 and 0400-0500, which has been off SW for
two sesquimonths. 0116 recheck in English, music for NY, G signal, better
modulation than neighboring Tirana 7425. 0121 into Close-up program with
several topix including one genius in one hundred is Ukrainian, and new female
premier elected. Glad this is back, since music quality is better here than on
their webcast. Last we heard in Sept, were planning to use 7530 upon  comeback
in B-07, but not so. The imminent return was emblazoned in red on their website
checked Dec 30 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ZAMBIA. ZNBC, 5915, reported to be running late on holidays, so I checked
Dec 31: before 2300 blocked by Algeria via UK. At 2331 poor in too much
splatter from WBOH 5920 even in LSB and synch-LSB, yelling and hilife. 0001 Jan
1 kid group singing, 0037 check apparently off;  0040 heard some audio again
but Brian Alexander says that was Vatican. Somewhat better reception from Voice
Africa, 4965 at 0004 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 4800.0, checked late Dec 31, but nothing heard until 0011 Jan 1,
music and talk in uncertain language, quite poor signal having a battle with
CODAR. 0041 undermodulated YL talk I could almost conclude was Spanish.
Believed to be XERTA, ex-4810 after months of silence, at least away from the
hash next to 4810 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 5954.1, the unknown transmitter which was carrying R. República
for a while, was not on the air around 2230 check Dec 31, but back on the air
at 2333 with nothing but music, mostly instrumental. No jamming at all, and no
need for it, as no sign of RR programming until abruptly off at 2359* Also
checked 15710 for DentroCuban Jamming Command, but it was already off by 2230
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Order your WRTH 2008: