[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs May 28, 2008

** ALGERIA [non]. Surprised to hear same Qur`an on three different 7 MHz frequencies in // --- well, not quite; comparing on different receivers, they were slightly out of synch with each other, May 28 at 0537, 7305 leading 7260, more melodic than your average muezzin, with pauses for plain speech in Arabic; 7150 slightly behind 7260 and 7305 at 0542 when segué to secular music, Arabic talk. At 0545, 7305 definitely strongest and 7260 weakening. Per new sked from DX Mix News, Bulgaria, Issoudun, France relay started May 24 on 7305 during the 0500 hour; per old skeds, 7260 is Skelton and 7150 is Sines, both under auspices of VTC while 7305 is TDF. All these are aimed back at northern Africa (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ANGUILLA. Defunct Gene Scott, 11775, absent May 28 at 1326 check. At some point they will probably close down for a while to install the ex-KTBN transmitter, but I don`t know if this is it. So will they be running two frequencies at once, or retire the old one? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. VOI definitely back on frequency 9525 after months on 9526 instead, May 28 at 1300 with English announcement that Japanese was ending, Korean starting. Axually, it`s a shade below 9525 by a few tens of Hz perhaps (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. The Atwoods parking lot on the west side of Enid is a hot spot for MW groundwave, low noise too, so I did a quick bandscan May 28 on the caradio. A few significant observations.

1340, KEBC, OKC normally alone on channel in daytime here in Enid, but could hear something underneath sportstalk at 2022 UT. Most likely is KJMU Sand Springs, near Tulsa. Maybe I could have pulled it thru a null if I had a directional antenna. KJMU was off the air from last Oct to Feb, per reports from Bruce Winkleman via DXLDs 7-136 and 8-020. I wonder if they did any upgrading in the meantime. They are of course limited to 1000 watts non-direxional, but the ground system, etc., could have been improved.

Indeed KJMU is the only possibility, assuming there is no skywave. Altho a heavily-populated `graveyard` channel nationwide, 1340 has a big unoccupied hole around here, as is obvious from the NRC AM Pattern Book --- in KS, only two stations along the extreme eastern border with MO. None in the TX panhandle, unless you include Lubbock. None in SE Colorado.

I should have tried harder in the daytime at quiet rural locations in western OK or KS, and/or with defacto fence beverages, to better my NRC distance record for KSSR Santa Rosa NM, which I think has been silent for a few years now, perhaps never to return.

Per FCC AM Query for facility number 29504, there was an involuntary transfer of ownership after the original owner J. MICHAEL ESQUIBEL, was DECEASED, to JOSEPH M. ESQUIBEL, PERSONAL REPRESENTATIVE, presumably his son or heir, which went thru on Feb 13, 2006. KSSR is still LICENSED: as of 01/01/2008 and License Expires 10/01/2013. And as far as FCC are concerned, on the air, even if it isn`t.

If anyone is travelling along Route 66 (or rather I-40), or US 54/84 in the Santa Rosa area before I get out there again, please note whether 1340 is on the air (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1170, KFAQ, Tulsa at 2026 UT was accompanied by IBOC buzz on each side. It is not listed as an HD station by iBiquity, at
http://ibiquity.com/hd_radio/hdradio_find_a_station?state=OK&sortBy=undefined#stationlist
Has anyone else noticed IBOC from KFAQ at night, or day?

1000, KTOK, OKC, an IBOC station, but seems to be more and more sporadic. Not on at this time, 2027 UT, allowing Spanish gospel from Texas on 990 to be audible, KFCD Farmersville in The Metroplex, and also C&W music on 1010, KIND Independence KS. When KTOK IBOC is on, these are totally blown away by the buzz.

930, WKY, OKC, still IBOC-free, despite reports it would be next.

640, WWLS, OKC/Moore/Norman, strong IBOC on as usual totally blocking 630 and 650, and as always, also bothering KSKY 660.

620, KMKI, Plano TX, Disney for The Metroplex, has IBOC on, as can be heard bothering 610 Kansas City, tho not distinguishable from much stronger WWLS IBOC on 630 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA. BSKSA huge buzzy transmitter centered on 11915, no doubt the same unit as before 1800 on 15205, heard May 28 at 2118. It only spread about 5 kHz above and below here, but messes up most of the 25m band in Europe (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Glad to confirm that WBCQ, 15420-CUSB, aired new WORLD OF RADIO 1410, when checked at 2102 UT Wednesday May 28. Quite weak signal compared to Chile-15410, etc. (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. VOA, Greenville, 15390, supposed to carry Creole service to Haiti starting at 2100 until 2130, but May 28 at 2104, found open carrier only, a farting noise, off and on the air a few times; finally brought up audio at 2106 joining program in progress, which I had already confirmed was running OK on // 13725; also on // 11895 checked at 2117. The old GB transmitters must be quite temperamental (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WHRI`s spur from 11785 is getting worse and moving around. May 28 at 2113, found a huge blob centered on 11771, a bit further from fundamental than before. Earlier in day, Anguilla was missing from 11775 and may still have been as I could not hear any trace of it, no beat with an 11775 carrier. During music, the 11771 blob was just about as loud as 11785, but more distorted. Also matching spur at 2115 on 11799, this one colliding with RHC on 11800 in Spanish, which I had not been able to hear a few minutes earlier. Christians vs Commies! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WTJC, 9370 is another POS transmitter. May 28 at 2122 found an extremely distorted FMy blob with music spreading 9255 to 9285, centered around 9270 when first checked, a few minutes later more like 9275. WTJC has done this before so I suspected them immediately, but on 9370 itself there was a carrier with barely detectable modulation I could not be certain was //. However, WBOH 5920 was audible, with a familiar hymn tune, and it was definitely // the blob which by 2126 was centered about 9260 spreading plus/minus 30 kHz. So much for Wadi el Nil on 9250! However, at 2129 all the 9 MHz stuff vanished as they turned off the WTJC transmitter + parasitix. It stayed off most of the half hour, but at 2200 recheck, 9370 was back on with full modulation, ID and IRN `news`, no spurs, fortunately for WINB which had also just opened on 9265.

BTW, Dave Frantz of WWRB once told me that helpful people from FBN in Newport NC came over to run his previous station WGTG in McCaysville GA when he had to be away, but they stole the plans for his homemade transmitter so they could build their own, which in a few years signed on as WTJC/WBOH (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: