[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs June 27-July 1, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs June 27-July 1, 2008

** BIAFRA [non]. V. of Biafra International, weekly clandestine show via WHRI, Fridays 20-21, still on 17650 when checked June 27 at 2053 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA. Firedrake, barely audible on 17550, July 1 at 1412, presumably against V. of Tibet, whose frequency jumps around this area. Somewhat better Firedrake on 12260 at 1416, against Sound of Hope. I don`t bother to relog all the usual Firedraxe against RFA, etc. (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also CUBA

** CUBA. Surprised to find CRI English relay on 13760 instead of 13740, July 1 at 1414 check and still at 1542. So it applies to both hours, 1400 and 1500. Nothing on 13740. 13760 had been in use for RHC itself until 1500. Usual poor modulation and much weaker than RHC on 13680. So is this a second-semester permanent change from 13740 to 13760 for CRI, or a mistake, or a temporary substitute with one transmitter down, or what? Time may tell (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. VOI, 9526, June 27 at 1249 with Indonesian music, no het or tone today (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. FMDX: can`t get a decent signal from XEQM 6105v, so I`ll just pick up their FM station! Axually, as always with Sporadic E, one is at the mercy of when openings occur, all or nothing even tho analog.

June 29 at 1640 UT, the MUF was at least channel 5 TV, so I broke out the DX-398 portable, and started checking FM. It helps to be able to manipulate the whip rapidly to avoid all the local QRM. Altho we have some Spanish around here, such as KAMG-LP 92.1 Enid, that language really stands out on other frequencies when bandscanning.

Soon found some on 89.3 at 1644 UT, ID as Radio Energía, Mexican PSA, 1646 live DJ with timecheck, ad for Club de Golf de Yucatán. 1652 phone in sportstalk about soccer and an upcoming game somewhere in Europe. Got back to 89.3 slightly after 1700 so missed ID if any at hourtop, still phoner sportstalk, gone by 1703 and I quit at 1708. This is doubtless XHMIA licensed to Kanasin --- why necessary to rimshot? Near Mérida. Cantú linx to website http://www.radio893.fm/ which shows this is axually called Ultra 89.3, but also with radio energia slogan.

95.3, at 1654 UT June 29, Spanish DJ mentioning Candela in passing, and ``la mera mera Candela 95.3``; gone at 1658, 1701 in and out weakly in talk. So this is XHMH Mérida, which gets relayed on 6105v.

Checked all the other listed Mérida frequencies but above MUF and/or blocked by adjacent/co-channel QRM. One more made it, tho:

92.9, 1656 UT June 29 slogan ``la pirinola [? Not sure of spelling, a name?] gira la radio``. 1658 news headlines about Tíbet, sports, outroed as announced by Jesús Alejandro Torres, for Sistema Nacional de Noticiarios, Grupo IMER, ID but with fades so missing some words:
``XH-Yuc, FM, 92.9, transmite desde . . . Calle 90 . . . con 100 mil watts. . .``. XHYUC is also in Mérida, one of the local public radio outlets, website http://www.yucatanfm.imer.com.mx/ I would like to have heard XERUY on 103.9 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TAIWAN [non]. RTI still going via WYFR, UT July 1 at 0200 on 9680, better here than 5950, despite announced plan to drop English to NAm as of July 1. Maybe this will be gone UT July 2. I listened to the last dekaminute until 0300 in case they said anything, but no, and ran usual closing announcement with full English schedule ``every day`` as if nothing were wrong; while 9680 went into WYFR Spanish at 0300, 5950 restarted the RTI English broadcast, now with better signal. RTI`s German and French language web pages say those relays via WYFR are terminated, but nothing about the same on the English pages (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WBCQ, 15420-CUSB, good signal at peaks, but with deep fades, due to huge sporadic E opening over eastern US, (and trans-Atlantic), June 27 at 2059 with NM preacher; 2101:45 voice-over quick WBCQ ID, but then NM stops, and WBCQ plays standard sign-off announcement which never mentions any frequencies or times; and off. Meanwhile, I compared frequency WWV 10000 using DX-398 40-Hz click-counting, as corrected, and decided WBCQ was around 15419.95; definitely on the low side (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 11710.5, approximately, weak het to V. of Korea in French on 11710.0, July 1 at 1418. 11710v brings to mind Argentina, but should not be on this frequency at this hour. Aoki shows RAE weekday Spanish on 11710 until 1400; EiBi until 1300. SAm propagation was OK, with RNA Brazil 11780 in well. Or could be a spur from something else on 25m, even another VOK transmitter (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: