[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs August 12, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs August 12, 2008

** CHAD. 4905 still audible as late as 0550 Aug 12, presumed this (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA [and non]. VOA finally has won the battle for 6180 at 0500-0700. The English to Africa service has been there from Greenville since Morocco was closed at Marchend, colliding with the last two hours of RHC English.

RHC finally got the message we have been sending for months that something has to be done about this, combined with our recent observation that there is a large vacant area in the 49m band, at least after 0530, between 6090 and 6165.

Aug 12 at 0539 I found RHC English on new 6140, loud and totally in the clear, as is VOA now on 6180. Presumably runs until 0700*, to be determined when 6140 now starts in English, but probably at 0500, since that has already been in use for Spanish until 0500. Also to be determined whether English stays on 6180 in the 0100-0500 period when its major competitor has been Brazil, but that recently shifted to 6188v, perhaps unintentionally, and not for the entire period every night anyway. Could be that English and Spanish have swapped 6180 and 6140 at 0100-0500.

The move from 6180 to 6140 also moves the leapfrog mixing product off Sahara`s frequency 6300, another benefit! That`s now on 6220, where it was barely audible at 0540. Another Cuban transmitter was jamming nothing on 6100 at the same hour.

RHC is suddenly in a frequency-change mode. As reported Aug 11, there are two new morning frequencies on 19m. Checked again Aug 12 at 1240, the old frequencies 9550 and 11805 were again missing, but at this early hour, 15120 and 15360 were just barely audible. This probably means they start at the beginning of the transmission 1100, when 19m propagation is even more problematical. Tuned in 15370 at 1359 for the frequency announcement, earlier than usual 1402, and it was the same old one taking no notice of these changes, and as always in Moscow-frequency-order, in translation:

``13760 and from 9AM 13680, 11760, 11805, 12000, 9550, 9600, 6000, 6180 and from 9AM also 15370``. What they always fail to make clear is that 6000 and 9600 close at 9 AM = 1300 UT. At this time, 1500, 15120 and 15360 had built up to listenable levels altho still much weaker than 15370, which is aimed this way. 15120 had a hum on it too. It will likely be a long time before these changes are updated on the announcements and website.

As for the het on 15360 at 1400-1415, Wolfgang Büschel confirms that TWR Swaziland is likely to be off-frequency (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** EQUATORIAL GUINEA. RNGE, 6250, hilife music Aug 12 at 0601 and a few minutes more, 0605 talk, so I assume their clock is still running slow unless news is not supposed to appear at hourtop (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA [and non]. Looking for VOI around 11785, Aug 12 at 1413, very poor signal in talk and a weak het, so it`s still not in the clear during this hour. I thought I heard some Portuguese in the mix, and the other station is R. Guaíba, Brasil, which has been reported slightly lower than 11784.84. This time they were about 0.2 kHz apart. Meanwhile, Brasília was quite audible on 11780. The adjacency of these two stations is a matter of consternation for Brazilian DXers (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 4800 with open carrier at 0546 Aug 12 and several minutes thereafter, presumed XERTA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NIGERIA. 4770 with some music at 0545 Aug 12, with heavy QRM from CODAR and ute beeps from the hi side, presumed FRCN Kaduna currently active (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ROMANIA. RRI English to NAm at 0000 peepless here at 0030 UT Aug 12 check on 11790; maybe still not regular transmission from new 300 kW Galbeni Continental transmitter. A few nights earlier we had pronounced it a winner. It could also be subject to uncoöperative MUFs (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** WESTERN SAHARA [non]. RN RASD, 6300, now clear of spur from CUBA [q.v.], but not on the air yet at 0601 Aug 12 when Equatorial Guinea was audible on 6250. Recheck at 0609, 6300 now on with Qur`an (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: