[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs August 15, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs August 15, 2008

** ANTARCTICA. I frequently look for LRA36 at various weekdays times between 19 and 21 on 15476, but no luck lately, with poor propagation and/or too much local noise. But Aug 15 at 1817 I was definitely getting a carrier on 15476, evidenced by the het it was making with Gabon, also very weak, on 15475. Checked again at 1947 but nothing. Maurits Van Driessche in Belgium tells me he was getting RNASG during that hour on 15476.03, peaking at 1917, but weakening by 1940 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ARGENTINA [and non]. When I was not getting Antarctica, I was getting a variable het on 15345 from RAE, at 1948 Aug 15, which must have been about 15344.8 vs Morocco, which provided the only modulation audible, Arabic music on 15345.0. Usually the het is fairly constant, maybe varying slightly but this time it was alternating irregularly between two different pitches, revealing a further instability in the transmitter. Or maybe Morocco was the unstable one, but I doubt it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** BIAFRA [non]. WHRI, 15280, loud and clear Friday Aug 15 at 1958 with sign-on, and 1959 starting V. of Biafra International early with its own opening including anthems, several IDs mentioning 19 meter band only, not the frequency. Listened to a few minutes of the usual orator, against the ``Satanic Nigerian government``, and something about the Sokoto Caliphate (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA. Looked for Firedrake again on 13570, Aug 15 at 1257, but no sign of it under WINB, despite having been there Aug 14 at 1328. Sound of Hope probably had moved on again (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. Just for giggles, I checked RHC`s Portuguese service on 11750, closing announcement at 2028 again Aug 15 to see if they know what frequency they are on yet? Of course not! Still claims ``faixa de 16 metros, 17750 kHz`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** IRAN. Weak and fadey signal in German, Aug 15 at 1815 on 15085. I would hazard a guess this is VIRI, Kamalabad, which is the only station in the world on this frequency and is scheduled in German at 1730-1830 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. We are grateful for so much sporadic E this summer, still going into mid-August, even if it doesn`t reach TV channel 2, for it makes WWCR 15825 a big solid signal much of the time, only one megameter away here, vs a just-barely-audible signal if we were depending only on the MUF-starved F2 layer --- including during the Friday WORLD OF RADIO broadcast, which August 15 I noticed was starting at 2029 instead of 2030. This should allow it to finish before the frequency change announcement to 7465 has to start (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. My logbook would not be complete without at least one entry per month of the awful spurs from KVOH. Made it for August, as last heard July 2, but much stronger this time. August 15 at 1953, very distorted FMy music on about 17922, matching relatively clear 17775. The spur was only slightly weaker than the fundamental, at peaks S9+15 vs S9+18. On the spur I could see the S-meter fluxuating slightly with modulation variations. Then looked for the match on the low side, and there it was around 17628, with same distortion, but as usual significantly weaker than the other one, plus/minus 148 kHz (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. Looking for VOA Korean service, 11740, via Tinang, Philippines, Aug 15 at 1300, instead heard Sakura, NHK timesignal and opening Chinese. Some co-channel turned out to be VOA, way underneath, with American song segment at 1315 identifiable only by // 5890. This is quite unusual, as VOA is normally very dominant on 11740, 250 kW at 21 degrees, vs NHK via Singapore, 250 kW at 1 degree. The target zones are officially separate, but looks like another bad collision in East Asia until 1330.

Later on VOA English, 9760 via Philippines, I heard a promo mentioning that Issues in the News is now heard on both Saturdays at 0230 and 0530 and Sundays at 0130 and 0430. The website which also has it OD, http://www.voanews.com/english/NewsAnalysis/issuesinthenews.cfm adds Sunday 1230. I wonder what program has been cancelled that it is filling in for.

At 1352 Aug 15 on 15790, was hearing a woman speaking English, with a very heavy South Asian accent --- not it`s not --- yes it is --- she seemed to be going in and out of English and Urdu, for this is VOA`s Radio Aap ki Dunyaa via Sri Lanka, and soon mentioned Voice of America (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: