[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs August 31, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs August 31, 2008

** CUBA. Sunday Aug 31 at 1402 on 11760 caught a bit of RHC news in Spanish, mentioning that Gustav had been clocked at sustained winds of 240 kph as it crossed western Cuba, with gusts to 340 = 211 mph, which seems a bit too hi from other reports, but still plenty.

Here we go with today`s discrepancies: At 1407 on 21 mb, RHC 13760 had better signal strength than usual, but barely modulated! 13740 with CRI was at normal modulation level for it, which means inferior but adequate.

Aló, Presidente service, separate from mainstream RHC 11760, at 1404 Sunday Aug 31, was underway on 11875, but running a show about the history of RHC which is hardly a Venezuelan topic. At 1407, 13680 was strong but undermodulated with hum. Wiggle that patchcord! Not on usual 13750.

At 1413 found another scheduled A,P channel, 17750, inbooming S9+20 contrary to usual JBA: likely some sporadic E had kicked in. Not only that, but accompanied by ratchety noises at modulation peaks on center channel and splattering plus and minus 20 kHz, with worst peaks at +/- 10 kHz while playing a bit of ``Guantanamera``; 1431 recheck, 17750 had weakened somewhat and the splatter consequently lessened (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA [non]. No doubt the fueracubanos at R. Martí just want to help dentracubano family members, but jamming is unrelenting, on 11930 Aug 31 someone was phoning into newscast about H. Gustav destruxion; 13820 was stronger and well atop jamming here, always Greenville NC site (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Altho XEPPM was in the clear on 6185, around 0145 Aug 31 tnx to absence of Cuba 6180, and Brasil for that matter, when I rechecked at 0618 I could not hear R. Educación, only a very weak carrier, Vatican? on frequency, but was also heavily splashed by VOA Greenville 6180. I am afraid that XEPPM is indeed no longer running all-night, as Harry Helms pointed out, apparently closing at 0500 UT, local midnight (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN. REE, 17595, Sunday Aug 31 at 1412 was playing an Egyptian male singer from years of yore. Nice, but does not match either program shown for domingos 1600 HOE+ at
http://www.rtve.es/archivos/70-9383-FICHERO/ParrillaREE_2008_VERANO.pdf
i.e. Tablero Deportivo and Corresponsales del Sur, so have they revamped their program schedule again without publishing an update? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** WESTERN SAHARA [non]. LV de la RASD, 6300 via Algeria, Aug 31 at 0612 with seemingly reverent recitations from Qur`an, but quite different from what we hear on other Islamic world stations in regular Qur`Arabic. Isn`t this rigidly supposed never to be in vernacular dialects? Or is this some other religious service not strictly Q. recitation, and thus allowed? Quite mesmerizing, and heard any day from opening around 0600. But at 0614 switch to YL announcement, then music involving voices, drums and wind instruments. Fair with persistent ute pulsing in background (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. David Goren in NY(?) says he was not hearing any CODAR at 0515 Aug 31 on the 60 m band, so I checked a bit later at 0621. Sorry, it`s still there; maybe David was in a propagational or operational anomaly. CODAR swishes of once per second audible around these frequencies: 5230, 4790-4770, 4550, 4430 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. As a possible consequence of H. Gustav, no Cuban spy numbers, cut numbers or ear-splitting whines were heard on 5800, or any other frequency up to 5900 when checked UT Sunday Aug 31 at 0622 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: