[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs September 4, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs September 4, 2008

** AUSTRALIA. RA with throw-away feature Perspective, Thu Sept 4 at 1355 on 6020 and 9580. It only lasted 3.5 minutes this time, but nevertheless, both frequencies dumped out of it at 1358, 6020 going immediately to unnecessary IS before closing in time for Shiokaze at 1400, inaudible here; and 9580 just cutting rudely off air, forcing us to retune to inferior 9590 for the rest of the show. The remaining sesquiminute before 1400 news was filled by the RA news sounder already and promos.

Perspective is so dispensable that it isn`t even shown for 1355 at http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/programguide/141.htm
but just M-F 0955 and 1654 and Sat 2105, none of them convenient times for SWLs in North America. Fortunately, via its website http://www.abc.net.au/rn/perspective/
one may read transcripts or even subscribe. The one I heard was actually for Sept 3, ``Staying good while playing God - looking after animal welfare when applying biotechnology`` and Roger Broadbent said it was the first of a series (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. RHC 6180 still missing, Sept 4 at 0110. This is supposed to be in Spanish to CAm, ex-6140, which swapped with it for English. Have not checked the entire evening to learn if 6180 ever appears. If not, where did this transmitter go? Meanwhile, English on 6000 and 6140 still suffer from low modulation and hum, 6000 being worse. Those searching for a frequency associated with my last report around 1400: I happened to be listening on 13680 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INTERNATIONAL. This is not a log per se, but a follow-up to my previous report of VOLMET from AUSTRALIA, HAWAII, JAPAN. Tnx to Jari Savolainen who sent link to VOLMET info for Asia and Pacific,
http://www.icao.or.th/meetings/2008/opmet_tf6/wp12.pdf

The schedule can be summarised as follows, in minutes past each hour; we wonder if all frequencies are always used at once, or whether the highest are day-only, the lowest night-only, which is SOP. The document also shows which airports are covered in each 5-minute segment; that could also help to ID source. Notice how several frequencies are 3 kHz apart. These aren`t often reported even by utility DXers; they could be considered SWBC. Presumably everything is in [robotic] English, the ICAO language, even tho `VOLMET` is derived from the French:

PACIFIC: 2863, 6679, 8828, 13282
Tokyo       10-15, 40-45
Hong Kong   15-20, 45-50
Auckland    20-25, 50-55

However, a separate entry further down the list conflicts with above!
One would have expected Honolulu to fill in the 55-10 and 25-40 gaps if really on the same frequencies. And in fact my log on 6679 had Honolu2 ID at :35 past!

PACIFIC: 2863, 6679, 8828, 13282
Honolulu    10-25, 40-55 [sic]

ASIA: 3458, 5673, 8849, 13285
Guangzhou   00-15, 30-45
Beijing     15-30, 45-60

EUROPE/ASIA: 3461, 4663, 5676, 10090, 13279
Tashkent    05-10, 35-40
Novosibirsk 10-15, 40-45
Khabarovsk  15-20, 45-50
Moskva      25-30, 55-60
Kyiv [blank, but presumably if active would fill one gap or the other:
            00-05, 30-35
            20-25, 50-55]

ASIA: 2965, 6676, 11387
Sydney      00-05, 30-35
Kolkata     05-10, 35-40
Bangkok     10-15, 40-45
Karachi     15-20, 45-50
Singapore   20-25, 50-55
Mumbai      25-30, 55-60

Then Liz Cameron sends a much more comprehensive VOLMET schedule, tnx to Bill Hepburn`s site http://www.dxinfocentre.com/volmet.htm which confirms my suspicions about Honolulu; includes callsigns for most, and many more exotic ones like Damascus. One could easily specialize in DXing and even QSLing these VOLMETs, or at least add some countries otherwise difficult or impossible on regular SWBC, such as IRELAND, GIBRALTAR, URUGUAY (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. One of my three local AM stations, KGWA 960, whose major lobe I inhabit, is normally tolerable away from 960, but UT Sept 4 at 0055 I found it was putting out dirty spurs audible between 860 and 1060, worst on 920, 1010, 1040, when checked on a 10-kHz-step receiver.

BTW, the local morning 1200+ UT ``Total Information`` news show is televised on Pegasys, local public access cable channel 12 at noon weekdays; more convenient than reading the paper myself, and it sounds like the newscaster is doing just that. Fun to watch him move around the studio, gulp coffee during an axuality, rub his nose, adjust the pantograph inaudibly. That`s J. Curtis Huckleberry --- his real name? See him at http://www.audiostream.net/KOFM/jcurtis2.html To find anything about KGWA you have to go to the website of its FM master http://www.kofm.com --- even tho KGWA predates it by sesquidecades (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SWEDEN. Andy Sennitt corrects my previous comments about the demise of Sweden Calling DXers: don`t blame George Wood, but the management. Any program at all like that could continue only if he dumped SW DX news for satellite stuff, as gh paraphrases it, so MediaScan was born. My apologies in that case. Meanwhile, it was announced on Thursday`s RS show, which had a feature on Aland, that the anniversary special would repeat on Sunday Sept 7 (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WBCQ, 5110 was still on the air with rock music at 0106 UT Sept 4, presumably a postlude to Area 51, scheduled 2300-0100. Not // 7415 which at 0113 was airing a preacher sounding suspiciously like Brother Scare. Remember, WORLD OF RADIO is to appear on 5110 Fridays at 2300, then INTERNATIONAL RADIO REPORT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. On 1060, UT Sept 4 at 0058, heard weather from the Radio Colorado Network, then a quick string of IDs including KKKK Colorado Springs, but that doesn`t apply to 1060, and then mentioned another chain, Rocky Mountain Radio Network. Strangely enough, neither net is mentioned in the introduxion to the year-old 2007 NRC AM Log, altho the former is in the entry for 1060 which is really KRCN Longmont, and KKKK is on 1580 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: