[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs September 7-8, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs September 7-8, 2008

** CUBA. As Hurricane Ike traverses the island, RHC is of course required listening for news of its impact. Sept 8 at 1303 on 12000 it was mentioned that Ike would be subject of Mesa Redonda, Monday evening, this time starting at 2200 instead of 2230, on 6000 and 9820.

Despertar con Cuba was airing reports from various cities in central and eastern Cuba about coping with Ike (well-pronounced as in English, despite temptations to Spanishize it), including large evacuations from low-lying areas subject to flooding.

Without missing a beat, however, RHC goes from Ike news to Cinco Presos stuff, which is required to be mentioned at least every 5 minutes. It seems the tenth anniversary of their incarceration is imminent, so expect even more of that, if humanly possible, hurricanes or no hurricanes.

At 1308, strong 15370 was splashing over weak 15360, a risk you take by putting two of your own transmitters only 10 kHz apart. Perhaps in SAm the situation is reversed.

How are the jammers doing? Still obliterating WRMI 9955 at 1347 check; mixing with Martí on 13820, and a bit earlier also dominating 7405. Both the DJCJ and RHC appear unhindered so far, but that could change as Ike goes closest to Habana. However, the SW jammer sites are probably not all concentrated near Habana like the RHC sites. Where are they, exactly, Arnie? Since you assert Cuba is perfectly justified in jamming unfriendly broadcasts, even citing ITU regulations against cross-border broadcasting, why aren`t these in the ITU database? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** IRELAND [non]. As I tuned across KJES, 11715, Sunday Sept 7 at 1312, there was unmistakable QRDRM centered on same frequency. Both signals weak, but that means DRM was a considerable problem for those of us hankering for a KJES-fix, preacher talking in English, then off-key singing with guitar accompaniment. Checked the online DRM skeds, and nothing anywhere near 11715 at any time! O yes, this is the day Irish hurling goes hi-tech with special one-day-only DRM transmission via Woofferton UK at 102 degrees on 11710-11715-11720. A considerable oversight by the DRM schedule maintainer. After 1500 I also checked the analog frequencies via Meyerton, South Africa, 11695 and 11960, but heard nothing. So a `successful` DRM transmission at the expense of poor KJES. Made me want to hurl (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** JAPAN. At the end of NHKWNRJ news, 1410 Sept 8 on 11705 via Canada, I was able to copy the name of their deep-voiced news announcer, I hope correctly: Hirokazu Sanamaki. He is apparently too modest for it to appear on the website (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN [and non]. REE`s Clásicos Populares show, originally from RNE R3, Mon-Tue-Wed 1305-1400, seems to be gone again, for Sept 8 at 1330, 1350 chex they were apparently reading something from Cervantes, with only some incidental music in background, on 17595 and via Costa Rica 15170. The latter signed off at 1400, and before 1401* I could hear it mixing with something else, which per EiBi must be R. Liberty via Rampisham in Turkmen, just starting (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. After a few weeks, the Sunday 2030 UT time of WORLD OF RADIO on WRMI, 9955, is gone again; checking webcast Sept 7 heard exile program instead, which Jeff White says is Foro Revolucionario Democrático Cubano which had to be rescheduled since it wanted to expand from half an hour to half a sesquihour. Jammed, anyway (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. SOS! Sunday Sept 7 at 1320-1330, came across reading of Song of Solomon chapter 5 on WYFR 25m, hot stuff about breasts and such, but all in the usual ponderous style of all other Bible readings. Just once, I would like to hear this read with a bit of leer. O yeah, it`s allegorical. I was so excited that I failed to notice whether it was 11830 or 11865, both on the air in English to WNAm with separate programming. Checked 24 hours later: 11865 the one with Bible readings, but no SOS this time (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: