[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 25, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 25, 2008

** AFGHANISTAN [non]. Enjoyed the last day of good reception from R. Solh, via Rampisham UK, on 17700, Oct 25 from 1426 until fading after 1630. Music at 1501 included the word ``whatever``; 1610 some rap partly in English --- we recognized a music string which months ago was appearing 2 or 3 hours earlier including at 1622 the bilingual one partly in English about ``Be my only one``. But still haven`t heard for ages what we dubbed the ``Solh theme``. Fortunately, we have that and a lot more on tape for replays at will.

Aside from the anti-Taliban messages several times an hour, I am just about convinced the tactic of this US psyop is to get all the Afghans dancing joyously and thus stop killing each other. From B-08 I expect Solh to appear as follows, none of which are likely to come in so well here, so far from the target area: 03-12 11675 via UAE, 12-15 13830 Rampisham, 15-18 9875 Rampisham. Last winter 15265 was used 12-15 and rivalled or exceeded 17700 reception. If Solh really uses 13830, it will collide with Gospel for Asia via Wertachtal at 1330-1500 per the B-08 DTK schedule! 11675 during the early hours may also collide with Kuwait which at least is scheduled to switch from DRM to AM at 0300 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GUAM [non]. AWR, 15320 via Germany, monitored again on its last transmission at the end of A-08, Saturday Oct 25 at 1330, just after scheduled weekend Uighur service (how many Uighurs are potential Adventists??? Doesn`t matter), with multilingual ID break in English, French, German, Italian. In French the name AWR was properly translated but in German they said it in English, ``Adventist World Radio``. What`s up with that? Then opening ``Mandarin`` with Grieg`s ``Sunrise`` melody (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. VOI, day 11 on 9526, Oct 25 at 1345 check with rock music, English announcements, 1357 to gamelan vamp, and het de China did not start until 1358 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** LIBYA. V. of Africa, better than usual on 17725, Oct 25 at 1417 in English about how the Leader of the Revolution had established a man-made river from the desert 4000 km to the northern regions in 1977. A bit of reverb on the modulation; the lexure frequently paused for some music; 1422 talking about Senegal. Recheck at 1616, only open carrier audible on 17725 when it was supposed to be in French after 1600 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOUTH CAROLINA [non]. Another Sabbath, so another check of just how Brother Scare is appearing on four frequencies from three US stations, Oct 25. WBCQ 9330 cut on at 1355 joining organ music in progress as also heard on WINB 9265 and WWRB 9385, but never synchronized. Then checked WBCQ`s other frequency as heard last Saturday, also on air today at 1359 with same organ music and fast SAH with DW via UK carrier, and modulation from that started at 1359:30, first with bells, then Russian 1400 overriding WBCQ. But last week there was an audible het, and this week WBCQ is much closer to being on frequency only making a subaudible het. And there is still no mention of this on the annotated program guide http://schedule.wbcq.com/main.php?fn=sked&freq=15420
For B-08, no more DW collision at 14-16, just a much weaker BBC. Recheck at 1613, 15420 was clear of DW, 9330 was off as it runs at 14-16 only, and 15420 was close to matching WWRB 9385. At 1621, WINB was still running same on 9265, long after its scheduled switch to 13570 at 1200; on some weekdays they switch at 1400 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SWEDEN [non]. The end of an era. Radio Sweden`s last morning broadcast to North America, Oct 25 at 1430 on 11640 via Canada. I recall it was primarily a morning station for many years before the Sackville relays started; reception direct from Northern Europe to Central North America was much more reliable in our mornings than our evenings (and still is). This was the usual Saturday review of the week`s stories, no mention of giving up in the mornings, and no announcement of new transmission schedule as had been run during the previous week. Items about how fewer and fewer countries since WWII maintain the death penalty; and a film festival in Uppsala; 1459 IS and into ``Radio Sweden, Lordag`` -- yes, in Swedish IDs they pronounce the station name in English; what`s up with that? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: