[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 27-28, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 27-28, 2008

** ALBANIA. Further chex of R. Tirana`s new schedule Oct 27: the English broadcast at 1945-2000: at 1950 found 11645 fair-good with no QRM, but nothing audible on scheduled // 7465. However, at 2000 recheck, 7465 was audible with IS, opening French with schedule, making me wonder if this transmitter was really off the air when I checked a few minutes earlier. No, the difference is that the English broadcast is non-direxional while the French brings up the same 310 degree antenna used for many other broadcasts to western Europe and North America.

2100-2130 in English: next check was on the DX-398 portable in a grocery parking lot at 2110. Both 9345 and 7510 were audible, fairly good, with 9345 a bit stronger. After 2130 in Albanian, only 9345 is on the air and continued to be well heard. Nothing else heard on 7510 which could also be used. 9345 continued to be heard at several checks, but fading somewhat by 2230.

On the next transmission, 0000-0130 in Albanian, Oct 28 at 0018, 9345 was just barely audible, and // 6110 fairly good but again with DentroCuban jamming against former VOA Spanish frequency.

At 0130-0145 English on 9345: not audible by now; 6110 instead probably would have been, and only a trace of jamming was still to be heard.

0245-0300 English on 7390: poor, but could recognize the woman announcer`s intonation. 6110 still open except for lite jamming.

0330-0400 English on 6110: fair but with subaudible heterodyne and lite jamming; the SAH may have come from a jammer as I don`t see anything else likely to be heard on 6110. 6115 is clear and could be used until 0400 Romania – but nothing heard there; I guess Tiganesti is still off the air.

0430-0500 English on 6100. About the same as 6110 an hour earlier, including residual jamming by Cuba. Nothing audible here on 6105, 6110, 6115 or 6120, tho there are supposedly other European stations on each of them to targets other than North America (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** AUSTRALIA [non]. R. Australia, Indonesian ID on 11550, Oct 27 at 2215. I assume this is the same usage as in A-08 which per Aoki was 2200-2330, 100 kW, 205 degrees via Tainan, Taiwan (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA [non]. What has become of Radio República? Can`t find it on any of the former frequencies in the 22-04 UT period, which in A-08 were two hours each on 9515, 9640 and 6100. Oct 27 at 2212 there was relentless jamming on 9515, but no sign of R.R.; Cuba has been jamming this frequency long hours anyway far beyond 22-24 whether República was using it or not. Not found on 9640, 6185, 6155, 6135 or 6100, so I scanned the entire 6, 7, 9 and even 11 MHz bands looking for signs of it, but nothing.

They dropped relays via WRMI 9955 previously, and now poking around the website http://www.directorio.org/ I am beginning to suspect they have decided to `broadcast` via YouTube rather than shortwave; nothing found about radio schedules, and what used to be there was long out of date anyway. One can`t look this up on VTC schedules, since listings were always kept secret (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** EGYPT. Confirming R. Cairo`s new frequencies for English in B-08: 2115-2245 on 6255: Oct 27 at 2203, good signal but undermodulated YL introducing show whose title I could not copy, about ``excellence of Arabs in the domain of medicine and surgery``. This is for Europe but carries on well in same direxion to North America. 2300-2430 on way-out-of-band 6850 to NAm: some R. Cairo schedules fail to break out this English sesquihour, listing it as Arabic as well as the following hours on same channel, but Oct 27 at 2326 I confirmed it is in English, undermodulated as usual (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GERMANY [non]. DW`s only Rwanda relay frequency for the 2100 English broadcast to W Africa, formerly in A-08 well heard onward in NAm on 15205 and 11865, is now 11690, and just as I expected, clashing with perpetual very heavy RTTY on the low side, checked at closing with ID at 2158 Oct 27 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GREECE [and non]. As I expected, VOG 9420 is now hit by co-channel from 1Africa, CVC Lusaka, Zambia which has inexplicably decided to use the same at 17-22. Oct 27 did not check until 2201 and found Greek music with 5 Hz SAH from English-speaking station almost as strong, a 21-year-old YL from South Africa testifying about her faith. So CVC was running a few minutes late, off around 2205 I think, and not heard at 2210 check, just Greece // better 7475 with sirens, not // Makedonian program on 7450 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NETHERLANDS [non]. RNW English to Africa via Madagascar, 11655, is fairly well audible in CNAm at 20 UT, // 17810 Bonaire, and 11655 can also be heard before 20 starting at 18 in English. However, I was surprised to hear a station on 11655 closing in English at 2157 Oct 27. I was also checking VOA and DW at the same time and missed a definite ID on 11655, but RNW is supposed to be here in Dutch via Madagascar until 2157; feed mixup or am I mixed up? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN. REE on new 9640, VG signal and modulation, so has to be direct rather than via Cariari, Oct 27 at 2200 with news from Radio Nacional --- I believe REE is no longer allowed to do separate newscasts. This is 19-23 at 290 degrees from Noblejas (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SWEDEN [non]. R. Sweden 2130 in English to Africa via Madagascar, 7390 put an adequate signal into OK as well on 280 degree beam, at 2150 Oct 27 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U K [non]. Some more BBCWS frequencies now funxional for uninvited listening in North America: Oct 27 at 2204 news on 6155, fair signal and in the clear; at 2229 also found it on 6110, weaker but also clear at the moment before Dentro Cuban jamming; 2232 both into Business Daily. Per VTC A-08 sked, 6155 is 100 kW, 330 degrees from S to W Africa at 22-23 only; 6110 is 300 kW, 180 degrees from Skelton to N Africa at 21-23 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Of all the hours VOA is on 15580 in B-08, only one is from Greenville, 21-22 UT, 94 degrees, but also putting a huge signal backwards to CNAm. Fortunately, that`s for the Music Mix string of shows, such as American Gold on Mondays, heard wrapping up at 2156 Oct 27. Earlier, 15580 comes via Botswana, Sao Tomé, Bonaire and UAE. In fact, it`s the highest G-B frequency in use this winter. Lower ones carry Hausa, Portuguese to Africa, Creole, Martí, Spanish and Spe-cial Eng-lish.

Also heard 11610 in VOA news at 2214 Oct 27, item about Russia`s falling population expected to drop below 100 mega by mid-century; quick lite echo from long path vs short path. This is Tinang, Philippines at 21 degrees toward us, same as used for 9345 before 1500, 9760 afterwards, when the latter was also inbooming in English lessons. At 2214, // 9490 which is Tinang at 200 degrees, no echo audible there (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WORLD OF RADIO confirmed once again still running Monday at 2200 on WBCQ 7415, as heard Oct 27. Tnx to Allan for this extra airing, which if still going next week will shift to 2300 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. I am becoming able to recognize the unpleasant pastoring of alleged sex and child molester ``Tony Alamo``, such as Oct 27 at 2209 on WINB 9265v. His own website claims to be on WINB at 7 pm EST, while WINB site shows 6 pm EDT, so the latter is correct (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: