[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 28, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 28, 2008

** AFGHANISTAN [non]. R. Solh continues to provide very good reception here on 13830 via UK, mostly music, Oct 28 at 1406 check; could barely hear another station under and making very slow SAH, presumably still BVB via Germany (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** AUSTRIA. R. Austria International, Oct 28 at 1327: 17855 was in English, 13730 in German and with a SAH but I don`t know of anything else supposed to be on the frequency; clear after 1330. Possibly was really receiver cross-modulation from a strong nearby signal (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** BULGARIA. R. Bulgaria, 15700, putting out spurious spikes at modulation peaks, worst around 15720 and 15680, but also audible around 15740 and 15660, Oct 28 at 1330. May have been bothering the DRM from Sines on 15720-15725-15730 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. RHC, 15120, Oct 28 at 1357 ending Despertar con Cuba, Tony crediting staff, including himself, Antonio Gómez, and the other main announcer Bárbara Betancourt, reiterating that DcC is on the air from 6 to 9 am local time (EST).

Correcting my earlier remarx, that is indeed now 11-14 UT. It`s the entire morning transmission which runs to 1500, i.e. 11 am by DST, 10 am by ST, the final hour on weekdays being other programming such as Voces de la Revolución, old diatribes by Fidel et al., and Formalmente Informal at 1430, by then a MUCH needed partially musical respite (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. VOI, 9526, day 13, Oct 28 at 1318 saying Indonesia had been committed to democracy since 1998, more of a consensus model than one-man-one-vote, in Focus Today feature. Then P- and E-mail addresses; 1320 news in brief; 1323 plug listening via website http://www.voi.co.id and piano music introducing Indonesian Wonder about a dance festival in Jakarta Oct 28-31. Usual very good signal, no het, some transmitter hum (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** JAPAN [non]. R. Japan, English on 11780, Oct 28 at 1403, running three words behind 11705 Sackville relay. This is 62 degrees via Rampisham UK (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KURDISTAN [non]. Tuned in 11530, Oct 28 at 1359 just in time to hear a final music minute, no announcement before 1400* That`s Denge Mezopotamya in Kurdish via Moldova, now scheduled 05-14 on 11530 and 14-21 on 7540. Was weak and quite fluttery on 11530 (Glenn Hauaser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA. Still hearing lite buzz on an unlisted 13600 transmitter, Oct 28 at 1335, talking about Ukraine, but am quite sure the language is Russian; and then found // without buzz on 12025, but the two were a reverb apart, not exactly synchronized. The latter is listed as VOR via a Moscow site. Wolfgang Büschel has reported a terrible buzz from VOR Lesnoy(?) site from 6120 to 6140 at 1600-2200, so maybe this is more from the same (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN [and non]. The 1-kHz-off-frequency operations of REE via Cariari, COSTA RICA, have finally been rectified, following our note to the engineer in Madrid last week, tho he has not replied directly.

Oct 28 at 0625, 5965.0 ex-5964, now within a SAH of Vatican co-channel, English which was // 7250; REE was playing a singer sounding like Piaf. So I also checked the others a few hours later:

Oct 28 at 1313, 9765.0 // 11815.0 ex-9764 and 11814, in RNE Diario Hablado. It`s quaint that a radio newscast is called a ``spoken daily [newspaper]``. Also // 15170 which never was off-frequency, and still buried by Romania in B-08. All the CR relays are very undermodulated whether on- or off-frequency.

These off-frequencies had been observed since February and March. First reports of each in DXLD:
 5964, DXLD 8-025, February 24
 9764, DXLD 8-035, March 15
11814, DXLD 8-039, March 30
Tho they all could have begun as early as Feb 24.

One version of the B-08 REE program schedule no longer lists the newscasts in Catalan, Galician and Basque, but there are lots of other anomalies in it, and I gather that it is an imaginary proposed (?) schedule. In fact, the 3-language news is still running. It`s been a good many months since I axually listened to them, so I did so again Oct 28, as it`s fun to see how much one can understand knowing only some Castilian and Portuguese.

In B-08 these have shifted an hour later to M-F 1340-1355. Forget 15170, ruined by Romania, but 17595 direct from Noblejas has excellent signal and modulation. I no longer hear these called ``Lenguas Co-Oficiales`` so I assume this politically correct terminology is no longer in vogue.

Oct 28 started promptly at 1340 in Catalan direct from Barcelona studio, lots of short items ending with something about the Lakers and the Blazers (Blaisers?)! 1345 switched to Galician with cute Celtic-influenced nautical jingle, M&M with weather et al. 1350 to Euskadi, and same as months ago, this Basque segment is about Basque country, but IN Castilian --- only the opening and closing announcements are in Basque. Items included literature prizes, 22-year-old arrested for rape (``violación`` as the Spaniards call it), ETA arrests. 1355 PSA for Instituto Cervantes, music fill.

Castilians speak rapidly and stacattoly, but all three of these are at breakneck pace, heavily produced with two alternating announcers, quick axualities, music bed and stingers. What would you do if you only had 5 minutes a weekday to convey your region`s news to the world? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SWEDEN. 11540, R. Sweden in Swedish, except for ID in passing pronounced in English, inbooming at 1400 Oct 28, so strong I suspected Sackville relay had resumed, ex-11640. But no, this is Hörby direct aimed 95 degrees, and on the air this semi-hour only, unfortunately, no English before or after (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Don`t be too excited if you hear a strong signal in Arabic on 7465, as I did Tuesday Oct 28 at 0617. It`s just WHRA, in B-08 scheduled there at 75 degrees, despite outdated listing for 7490 on WHR website: 0615-0620 Mo,Tu,We,Th Bible Pathway Rich Hash 7490
If entry is correct, it`s yet another one not specified as in a language other than English (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. VOA Korean service on 9555 collides with WYFR in Spanish, which tends to be on top here, until 1400, as I tried at 1315 Oct 28 to hear the daily tune in English, but instead got lexure about sheep, goats, Christ, unleavened bread, intestines. So had to go to 5890 for VOA music (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. 11805, pop music in Spanish, strong signal and one of few at all on 25m, Oct 28 at 0614, besides NZ 11725 and RA 12080. But nothing on 11665 --- so it`s CVC La Voz, Miami via Chile, moved from there, confirmed by // 6070 which has the CFRX SAH most of the night. 11805 now scheduled 00-08 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Order your WRTH 2008: