[HCDX] Logs for Al Muick 30-31 October

QTH:	Kabul, Afghanistan
RX:	WinRadio G303e
ANT:	100m longwire
ACC:	Palstar MW-550P mediumwave/LF preselector

Well!  I thought things were calming down around here, but I guess the
Taliban had other ideas.  We had two suicide bombers in the Ministry of
Information on Thursday.  One of them detonated, but the second one
apparently got cold feet and was eventually taken into custody by the
authorities.  Not too bad a weekend-day for DX, so without further ado:

873	BANGLADHESH, Bangladesh Betar heard at 00.00 on 30 Oct. with s/on,
call to prayer and some pretty groovy sitar work reminiscent of 70's acid
rock.  S/on is officially at 00.00 (06.00 Bangladesh local) per monitoring
and web sked and not 00.30 as listed in WRTH.  Truly magnificent S4 signals
without the need for the pre-selctor.

15295	MALAYSIA, VoM English Service heard at 07.00 on 31 Oct. with EG
news, and then a program of 70's/80's pop and rock.  Many station IDs and
fair signals with a severe fade.  This service is for Asia, so I suspect I'm
off the back of a beam.

15360	SWAZILAND, TWR, heard with Urdu program at 14.13 on 31 Oct. until
s/off at 14.15 then IS and English IDs until 14.16.  Very good sigs.

15630	GREECE, VoG heard with Greek programming and pop music with station
IDs at 0920 on 31 Oct.  Weak signal and completely wiped out by R. Ukraine
Intl. on 15635.  Had to peel them off with my variable IF bandwidth.

15635	UKRAINE, R. Ukraine Intl., heard with Ukrainian programming at 09.50
on 31 Oct. going into English at 10.00 aimed at Australia.  S5 signals all
the way here in Kabul.  Transmitter site is Lviv (Old Empire: Lemburg) and
100kW.

"The only security for the American people today, or for any people,
is to be found through the control of force rather than the use of
force."
 - Norman Cousins: American essayist and editor, long associated
with the Saturday Review, 1912-1990

Order your WRTH 2008: