[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 1-2, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 1-2, 2008

** ALASKA. KNLS, 6150, Nov 1 at 1245 in English with distinctive organ riffs, about equal level to co-channel Chinese, // weaker 6915, 1246 ID and short features (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ALBANIA [and non]. R. Tirana reconfirmed active and audible in English to North America Nov 1 at 1535 on 13720, as checked on the DX-398 portable while at the Enid hamfest.

Nov 1 at 2356, 6110 R. Tirana IS started prior to the Albanian sesquihour, and NO jamming, but there was a bit of a SAH from some other carrier. However, at 2359 I could hear some DentroCuban bubble jamming building up against vacated VOA underneath Tirana.

At 0443, the R. Tirana English to NAm on 6100 could be detected underneath Cuban pulse jamming, this time against non-existent Radio República. These would be good frequencies for Albania if the Cubans would just put their jammers where they are `needed` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** AUSTRALIA [and non]. 5995, Nov 1 at 1236 Christian choral music with piano accompaniment, 1240 Chinese announcement, so it`s YFR via Pet/Kam; mixing with DRM centred on 5995 from RA Brandon, Australia, two rather incompatible modes (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** BULGARIA [and non]. R. Bulgaria, 15700, starting news in English at 1230 Nov 1. This semi-hour transmission is at 306 degrees to Europe, and might as well be to NAm too in the same direxion. I usually hear this frequency after 1300 in Bulgarian.

Radio Bulgaria`s English broadcast to North America at 0000-0100 is totally ruined on 5900 thanks to that defective motorboating Russian transmitter always operating in B-season from one of the Moscow sites on 5900, as heard 0010 Nov 2. Absolutely nothing was readable either from it or from Bulgaria.

As in DXLD 8-115, 5900 is on VOR`s B-08 Spanish schedule at 0100-0300; not sure what service is on it during the previous hour. Aside from the QRM they cause to neighbors, waste of electricity and effort, ¿are the Russian engineers sinvergüenza? But we can still hear Bulgaria on 7400 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA [non]. CRI theme music on 9560, Nov 1 at 1258 almost // Cuba relay on 9570, but 9560 cut off at 1259* uncovering R. Australia. 9560 CRI is now a relay via Sackville, CANADA, in Cantonese at 1200, 240 degrees (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA [and non]. DCJC, 5745 pulsing against nothing Nov 1 at 0555.
DCJC also continues jamming frequencies long vacated by other victims, and now causing collateral damage to innocent bystanders. See ALBANIA about 6110 and 6100. But they have found current VOA Spanish frequency 5890, which altho very strong Nov 2 at 0009 in music, had some bubble jamming underneath.

I am no longer hearing RHC on 11690, which had been in use before and/or after 0000. Which is fine, since DW German is now there, teletypeless, Nov 2 at 0020 // 6075 but an echo apart. Kigali is now running 11690 all the way from 21 until 02. Nor is RHC on ex-11680. I wonder where that transmitter has gone? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ECUADOR. A week into the season, I`ve yet to see an HCJB B-08 schedule, tho maybe I`ve missed it. So surprised to find it loud and clear in Spanish on new 11625, UT Sun Nov 2 at 0022. At first I wondered if it was VOA, since the program was all about the good things the US Embassy is doing in Imbabura, Pichincha and other Ecuadorian provinces, such as medical aid, scholarships. Signal dumped off the air for a few seconds at 0026; and then closed ``Reportaje`` show with ``Ecuador y Estados Unidos --- Amigos y Socios``. Makes me wonder if show was produced by USA as a public diplomacy effort.

0029:30 to automated ID which astonishingly gave two wrong frequencies. Wait a minute --- it`s not astonishing, as HCJB was doing that for months, years on their morning Spanish broadcasts. Now claims to be on 9745 to Mexico (not), which this apparently replaces, and 21455 to Europe and Pacific, which as we have reiterated several times, HCJB dropped completely, months ago.

But here`s a first: the automated timecheck was wrong too! At 0030 it claimed to be 1900 local = 0000 UT. Does that mean all their timechex are a semihour off now? Until reset, anyway, and it takes them forever to notice any discrepancies (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** EGYPT. R. Cairo, secret English broadcast on 6850 to North America, Nov 1 at 2352 as hefty S9+22 level, but modulation so low that it was a whisper compared to normal listening level on other stations. I could turn the volume control to maximum and then hear it OK: fortunately with that much signal there was almost full quieting, but woe betide anyone tuning away without turning down the volume first. This is at 2300-2430, then continues in Arabic, instead of all in Arabic as on ERTU schedules (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** FRANCE. 12015, Nov 1 at 1740 with talk in Brazilian Portuguese and what sounded like gospel songs in English, but not // HCJB 15295. 12015 was atop persistent RTTY infesting this frequency. Looked up later, it`s RFI`s Portuguese service to Africa, not Brasil, running a megawatt of this frequency from 2 x 500 kW at different azimuths from Issoudun, 160 and 204 degrees at 1700-1800 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GABON [and non]. AN1, 17630, as previously reported, still suffers from a big collision caused by DW via Rampisham moving onto frequency for B-08, as heard Nov 1 at 1325. At 14-16, AN1 has long had another collision and still does with CRI English via Mali --- as AN1 does not bother to register its usage with HFCC, so the others may pretend it does not exist (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GERMANY. 15745, Nov 1 at 1404 with gospel rock, good signal and I suspected a US station, but it`s listed as CVC in English via Jülich, 145 degrees to E Africa at 14-18 (Glenn Hauer, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GERMANY [non]. 11690 in African language, good at 1810 Nov 1 but with RTTY on side, which is still causing problems. It`s DW in Hausa via RWANDA, 1800-1857 at 295 degrees (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. VOI, having missed Oct 31, was back on 9526 Nov 1, making that day 16, at 1253 with flutter, music, Suara Indonesia ID; running late, finally 1304 closing Indonesian hour, 1305 opening English, 1306 program summary, 1307 news: The VP warns Indonesians not to expect any big change in relations with US if Obama is elected, as he ``would keep a distance from Indonesia`` and is not directly related to the country, but ``he would be superior to George Bush.``

The Mohammedia organization praises passing of an anti-pornography law to ``stem the culture of liberalism``. Prince Charles will be visiting Yogyakarta Nov 4 at 11:30 am-4:50 pm, et al. Trade with Spain exceeds 2.1 gigaeuros, and their embassy has invited 60 Spanish businessmen to visit Bali. Bank-Indonesia not getting a bailout; Dutch Central Bank also mentioned. 1318, ``Our Today`s Bright Spot`` [which is not proper English], on presidential and vice-presidential elexion in Indonesia (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** JAPAN [non]. NHKWNRJ, 6145 via Canada, very good UT Sun Nov 2 at 0007 in World Interactive, and since it`s the first Saturday, featuring haiku; at the conclusion they were talking about starting a quarterly haiku contest, once they figure out how to do it. This is the final daily repeat of each English program cycle (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KOREA NORTH. KCBS, 6285, soprano performing revolutionary (what else?) music at 1243 Nov 1, good here on C&SAm beam, and also audible on much weaker // 6185 to SE Asia; no sign of Mexico, q.v. (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** LAOS [non]. Hmong Lao Radio, reconfirmed on the last day of DST, Sat Nov 1 at 1320 via WHRI 11785. Only further monitoring will tell whether it moves one UT hour later and/or to another frequency from next week. Hmong North Radio, which had been appearing for a few weeks UT Sundays at 0100-0130 on 5875, was missing Nov 2 at 0115 check, just WHR gospel rock instead (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [and non]. Altho I did not hear XEPPM, R. Educación, Nov 1 at 1243 when I was getting North Korea on 6185, I did hear it the following evening, having moved the sign-on an hour later already last week when Mexico went off DST. Nov 1 at 2355 rumbling het between two stations at least, Brazilian Portuguese song atop open carrier from XE. At 2358, RN Amazônia said it was almost dez horas (p.m.); 2359 Mexican national anthem started (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NETHERLANDS [non]. Some classical music caught my ear on 5955, Nov 1 at 0558, but it cut off a minute later, replaced in a few seconds by RNW IS and opening in Dutch. This is listed as Sines, PORTUGAL, at 55 degrees, but nothing known before 0600 on a Saturday, unless BBC Rampisham really was on then, not just M-F.

RNW on 9670, Nov 1 at 1255 in Dutch but playing phone intercept messages in English, why? Postbus 222 address in Dutch, fair. This is 267 degrees via TINIAN to SE Asia at 1159-1257.

Altho Bonaire 17810 eclipses it during the 20 UT hour only, 11655 via Madagascar in English can also be heard in abandoned NAm during the previous two hours. Nov 1 at 1811, report on the food shortage in Zimbabwe. At 18-20 it`s at 300 degrees, 20-21 adjusted to 295. The 18 and 20 hours carry the same programs; on Saturday, The State We`re In, while at 19-20 earlier shows repeat, on Saturday, Network Europe Week, and Curious Orange (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NEWFOUNDLAND [and non]. Tuning across 6160, UT Sunday Nov 2 at 0005, heard Randy Bachman introducing his Vinyl Tap show, atop the co-channel at times; ergo this is CKZN since the show would not appear until 3 hours later from CKZU. I could barely detect it also on CBCNQ 9625, but not synchronized, from different network feeds, and bothered by 9620 adjacent signal (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NEW ZEALAND. RNZI still not operating according to its own posted schedule. Nov 1 at 2123, on 17675 AM again, instead of 11725 which is supposed to run from 1951 to 2235; and abutting CVC Chile 17680; while DRM was on 15715-15720-15725 as scheduled (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PORTUGAL. 15465, fado music Nov 1 at 1745 with pauses for quick program promos, O Fado e a Guitarra Portuguesa, on RDP Internacional, and at 1755 O Fado em Silêncio; in fact, the latter was the program I was hearing, scheduled Sat 1708-1800 per their Nov 1 online listing where it may also be heard: http://ww1.rtp.pt/multimedia/?prog=3226
Also on // 17825 even stronger, as to be expected from 300 vs 226 azimuths (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SERBIA [non]. International Radio Serbia is one of those stations which shift all their broadcasts one hour by UT depending on whether DST is observed locally or not, something that makes no sense for an external audience. So in B-08 we expect English to NAm to be at 0100 and 0200 rather than 0000 and 0100. Indeed, Nov 2 at 0004 I did not find anything on 6190, but at 0028 there was an open carrier, and 0030 opening in Serbian; I think I heard them give the frequency as 6185, which was replaced by 6190 months ago on our suggestion, to get away from Mexico, Brazil, but which they kept announcing incorrectly also in English.

The supposed B-08 schedule on their website is not dated, and also incorrect now, but labeled B-08 when copied at http://www.bclnews.it/b08schedules/serbia.htm
It is nothing of the sort, showing summer times and outdated frequencies. I have not yet monitored further myself for the English times, but Bob Thomas in CT has, and he says as of Oct 29 they are 0100 and 0200 on 6190 --- except the first one skips UT Sundays (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOUTH CAROLINA [non]. WBCQ, 15420-CUSB, another Saturday with Brother Scare at 1405 // 9330-CUSB, tho the 15420 sked at WBCQ website does not include The Overcomer Ministry. Also on WINB 9265. By 1712 recheck, 9330 was off, scheduled until 1600 only; 15420 had switched to the NM prophet; and WINB B.S. was *still* on 9265v, far past its authorized span, not // WWRB 9385, or at least far from synchronized. Sometime between 1712 and 1743, WINB had finally switched to 13570v, still Scary (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN. 11765 good in Arabic talk interspersed with fiddle tunes, mentioned Hispaniya giving away that it`s REE, confirmed at 1732 by ``Huna Madrid``, scheduled 17-19 at 110 degrees from Noblejas (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TAIWAN [non]. RTI, 5950 via WYFR, Nov 1 at 0600 opening in Spanish, admitting that their news is stale, dated Oct 31. Strange that one of the Okeechobee relays they would keep is the one in the middle of the night to Central America. Axually, it`s 285 degrees to zone 10, which is Mexico, NOT Central America; and in the western timezones of Mexico it`s only 10 or 11 pm, but the great majority of the Mexican population is in the Central timezone = midnight (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TINIAN. After hearing a big open carrier from WRNO on 7505 for several hours the morning of Nov 1, I checked the frequency again at 1715 and could hear a very weak station with music, and announcements in a SE Asian language, i.e. Radio Free Asia in Burmese at 1630-1730, 279 degrees from Tinian. Also bits of RFA Mandarin on 7445, also Tinian; or the Chicom jammer (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also NETHERLANDS [non]

** UKRAINE. RUI`s unexpected extra frequency, 15635, noted here Nov 1 at 1330 with music akin to that of Greece on 15650; 1340 ID in Ukrainian. 1345-1355 had a talk feature, slowly and clearly enunciated, so one could tell better how Ukrainian differs from Russian. 1359 IS interrupted and off. 15635 is reported as 600 kW to Australia & New Zealand, also for the English hours now shifted to 10 and 12 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U K [and non]. 11665, BBCWS in English with reports about Africa, Somalia in particular; poor at 1719 Nov 1. It`s 16-18, 180 degrees from Skelton.

I wanted to hear the final BBCWS special from the USA, from Minnesota this time, Talking America: the Challenges Ahead, discussing ``tribal politix``, Sat Nov 1 at 1806; the only audible frequency I could quickly locate was 17830 Ascension, but not very strong and aside PORTUGAL 17825, q.v. So I converted myself from an SWL into a web listener for the remainder of the hour (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 7505, big open carrier first noted at 1250 Nov 1; must be WRNO warming up for another revival; left a receiver on this, but never any modulation, still in at 1341, 1347, 1402, 1425 but not at next check 1711 when I heard something else on frequency. Subsequent check was at 2346, and now VG signal S9+22, gospel music, so WRNO is back in business, on expanded schedule from former 0100-0400 only, unless this is just temporary for testing. Still at 0032 Nov 2; weakening by 0115 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WBCQ, 15420-CUSB, another Saturday with Brother Scare at 1405 // 9330-CUSB, tho the 15420 sked at WBCQ website does not include The Overcomer Ministry. By 1712 recheck, 9330 was off, scheduled until 1600 only; 15420 had switched to the NM prophet. At 1815 I found 9330 back on, now QSO with Ted Randall, another play of the interview with a YL about the space station, etc., and with lo het from Syria 9330.0 vs WBCQ 9329.9.

Only had time for a quick webcheck after 2100 Sat Nov 1 to confirm that Marion`s Attic has indeed moved to that new time (2200 from next week), ex-0100/0200 Sundays.

So what has replaced her at 9 pm Eastern Saturdays? TimTron was running a bit late, belch, until 0103 UT Sunday on 7415, and then started up with Star Trek theme, another replay of QSO with Ted Randall interview with YL about space station, which I thought was supposed to be on two hours later. TimTron had said his show was being simulcast on 5110, also not on published schedule, tho I did not check, but at 0135, 7415 was missing, and QSO was on 5110. BTW, 7415 was unusually getting some splatter from VOA 7405 until 0100* In this case, not Martí or DCJC.

BTW, I see on the WBCQ online schedule, a new show has been added to 9330, 7 days a week at 10 pm-mn eastern, 0200-0400 tonight when I was too busy compiling this report to check it, but thence 0300-0500 UT, The Roger Fredenburg Show. What`s that about? Will it propagate that late in the winter night on 9+ MHz from Maine? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WWRB transmitter on 5050 is way out of whack: Nov 1 at 2348 all I could hear on 5050 were swishing noises in a cadence resembling talking, but totally unintelligible. Also putting out spurs peaking around 5034 and 5066 as I have heard before, the latter now strong enough to bother its neighbor WWCR on 5070. At 2357, 5050 had settled down a bit, undermodulated but recognizable with choral version of ``Wonderful Words of Life``. At 0000 Nov 2, Dave Frantz`s quick lo-fi legal ID interrupted a preacher titled ``--- Truth Broadcast``.

Brian Alexander in PA had monitored more spurs and measured them 22 hours earlier: 5002.78, 5018.52, 5034.26, 5065.74, 5081.48, at 15.74 kHz intervals --- hmm, that`s very close to the nominal horizontal sweep frequency of black and white NTSC TV --- does Dave have an old TV set hooked into the homemade transmitter somehow? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WWCR`s 5935 transmitter for PMS continues to suffer from ``ringing`` spurs of roughly plus/minus 4 kHz, but which beat against the main signal very annoyingly and vary with modulation, as Nov 2 at 0008. Have not noticed this on any of their other frequencies, even the same transmitter when in daytime on 13845 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** WESTERN SAHARA [non]. I often hear La Voz de la República Árabe Saharahui Democrática after 0600 on 6300, but it`s only in Hassania Arabic then; the final hour is in Spanish, but I only heard the end of it Nov 1 at 2354 with Spanish talk and music, 0001 Nov 2 closing show about refugee camps, sign-off, 0002 anthem by amateur band, 0003 to open carrier (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ZANZIBAR. 11735, RTZ, Sat Nov 1 at 1735 with co-channel QRM and a low het; as I outpointed before, Romania is gone from 11735 in B-08; at first I thought V. of Korea, but not on 11735 at this time. Next thought is the Brasilian, R. Transmundial, likely the source. Fortunately, it had abated at 1800 when Zanzibar began news in English from Spice FM, but still hard to copy with fading: items about DR Congo, attack in Islamabad, 1805 ID amid, ``You`re listening to Spice FM``, more news, 1809 back into Swahili, sounding like the same announcer as in English. Had occasional QRM from DW 11725 splash, which just signed on at 1800, 295 degrees from Kigali. BTW, several others have logged the English news on Thursdays only at 2000 instead (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ZIMBABWE [non]. 11745, new frequency ex-12035 for SW Radio Africa, Nov 1 at 1721 with interview re the Zimbabwe situation; 1734 ending Weekend News Roundup, ``another depressing week``, vernacular ID, back into English with Health Beat; good signal at 152 degrees from Woofferton (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 9490, Nov 1 at 1301-1302* unstable noisy carrier, hard to describe, but not like Cuban bubble jamming; with polar flutter. CRI via Kunming to S Asia is scheduled here before and after 1300 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 17410-17520, earsplitting whine was back again Nov 1 at 1747, extremely strong, with multiple carriers across the broad band, peaking at 17450; and just as I was noticing a secondary peak around 17510 at the edge, they all cut off at 1748* What is this??? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: