[HCDX] Comments on the hobby

For many years already, I have been a devoted fan of the Short Wave bands. I
feel that while listening to the bands, several issues are in place: the
type of antenna I use at the moment versus any other day, the radio I use
and its capabilities to copy: filters, sensitivity, selectivity, if by any
chance I am using a base station or a portable radio.

I take into consideration propagation factors even though I am not too well
versed on this matter. And there might be many other factors an individual
takes, been the most important, the radio station you hear in order to enjoy
the hobby.

Last but not least, I also love to send reception reports and from timer to
time, collect QSL Cards.

I also place just but a few postings on the forums in which I participate.
Very few postings because I am the type of person that sticks to the idea of
hearing just a certain station at a time.  WRMI, Radio Netherlands, VOA,
Family Radio, Radio Netherlands and lately, very much interested in
development of WBCQ in Monticello Maine.

The real satisfaction I get from my hobby is when I can hear a specific far
away radio station. Here is when I can say that a certain radio (from the
ones I have in my collection) is sensitive enough to catch this foreign
station and if my antenna is performing accordingly.

Checking on my two bibles Password to World Band Radio and WRTH I roam the
bands looking for that great catch, that far away country. HCDX forum is
another great source to me. I look into the things other members are
posting. But some times, I have to say that I get somehow frustrated to
learn, that such posting or caption (ej) Vietnam, is not airing its program
directly from down town Hanoi and by the contrary, program being aired from
time bought at (ej) Radio Canada.

It is somehow difficult to explain. Short wave is a hobby devoted to hear
radio programs from far away places. To hear what other countries has to say
on certain issues. To mentally, travel to this countries that possibly, I
will never be able to visit. But on the other side, I feel that the other
joy of listening to radio falls on the combination of both good radio/good
antenna to pick that far way station.

Looking at the postings made by people on the different short wave forums, I
feel that somehow if possible, such captions should carry a note on it like
(ej) Albania (Via DW) or Albania (direct) .

I will be interesting to see, what other colleagues here at the forum feels
on my comments.

Best 73s for all

Luigi KP3003SWL San Juan de Puerto Rico

Order your WRTH 2008: