[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 6, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 6, 2008

** AFGHANISTAN [and non]. The marker now to confirm whether Radio Solh via Rampisham UK, 13830, is still playing exactly the same music day after day at the same time is an abrupt cutoff of one piece at 1348, few seconds pause, start another one with a hi-pitched soprano, as noted again Nov 6. But no sticking or skipping (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CZECHIA [non]. R. Praga, Spanish on new 7420, UT Thu Nov 6 at 0021 mentioning Praga, fair with quite a bit of fading, but at the moment WBCQ not on the 7415 air. This is a new relay via Ascension, 245 degrees to deep SAm; alternate 15300 where nothing heard. RP is always behind getting its website up to date, especially regarding relays, and early UT Nov 6 it still shows ex-7275 for this relay: http://www.radio.cz/en/frequencies

Maybe VTC and/or R. Prague are finally deciding to respect the 40m hamband in the Western Hemisphere (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. I finally missed a day checking whether VOI was still on 9526, Nov 5, so unless I see someone else reporting it, I will have to suspend my enumeration of the days it has lasted, but it has definitely exceeded three weeks with two days off. It was there on Nov 6 at 1312 check, YL news in English, with hum and flutter (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** JAPAN. Nikkei Radio, Tampa Hoso, 6055, Thu Nov 6 at 1319 with French lesson presented in Japanese, conjugations of ``coucher``, ``s’arrêter``. Prof has a good Parisian accent except when it comes to ells. ``Ils`` sounds more like ``iru``. 1329 sign-off announcement in Japanese listing numerous JOZ- callsigns, frequencies and kirowatu, with the Z apparently pronounced not zee nor zed, but zeta (or zedu?), and off at 1330* (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ROMANIA. RRI, 15105 and 17745, Nov 6 at 1336 with bio of Enescu and his Romanian Rhapsody on piano, both with good reception in 13-14 English to WEu and consequently NAm (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA [and non]. Tho DX Mix News, Bulgaria, says new 7335 via GUIANA FRENCH is in use for VOR in English to NAm at 0200-0600, the first part is axually in Russian, as checked Nov 6 at 0307. VG signal blowing away CHU.

11630 in Russian about US elexion, atop Qur`an from Kuwait, Nov 6 at 1307. VOR Moscow is scheduled 1200-1500 at 100 degrees.

6075, R. Rossii, 6075 via Pet/Kam, has some enjoyable world music during the final hour of the broadcast day until 1400, good for SWLing. Nov 6 at 1326 it was banjo, or balalaika? Fair with some flutter. This frequency is scheduled 20 hours a day, 18-14 UT, 100 kW at 15 degrees. And to cap it off is the CW at 1400; see UNIDENTIFIED 6074.

13600, still with big buzz marring Russian transmission from unknown site, Nov 6 at 1348; also CW QRM on low side (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** THAILAND. R. Thailand, 7365, Nov 6 at 1315 big open carrier goes to HSK9 chimes, R. Thailand World Service ID in English, introducing Mandarin service; very good and unjammed (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U K [non]. 6065 weak with ``BBC Radio English``, i.e. lessons for Chinese speakers, Nov 6 at 1318. This transmission does not appear on the seemingly exhaustive VTC schedule in DXLD 8-115, perhaps because VTC has nothiing to do with this relay via KBS in S Korea, 1300-1530 at 290 degrees (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Tho WWRB came up on 3270 a while ago for Brother Scare in the evenings, I have not found it lately; for example, nothing there at 0230 Nov 6. Is anyone hearing it? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WRNO still running music tests on 7505, Nov 6 at 1316, very strong (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. After listening to R. Rossii on 6075 via Pet/Kam, Nov 6 at 1400, I had the BFO on to catch the mysterious CW marker on 6074. After the final timesignal from RR, pause a few seconds, and very weakly audible, starting before the RR carrier went off, there it was, hard to copy but I could make out CQ DE 8GAL K, with the CQ and 8GAL repeated.

8GAL is exactly the same ID I was hearing until last February, altho Ron Howard in CA recorded it Oct 29 and listening to that clip, the ID was instead VZAI. David E. Crawford told Ron that ``the callsigns are typical of Russian Army (4 random alfa/numeric characters), almost certainly unrelated to the SWBC transmission``. I listened to Ron`s clip again, and yes, that was definitely: ``DE VZAI VZAI K`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 9640 with strong open carrier, Nov 6 at 1310; suspected Greenville or something in N America, but only thing scheduled here is IBB Thailand at 130 degrees, VOA in English per schedule in DXLD 8-115. No trace of modulation, so perhaps this was it having lost feed. R. Thailand [q.v.] was also inbooming on 7365 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Order your WRTH 2008: