[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 8-9, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 8-9, 2008

** CUBA [and non]. Radio República had been missing in the evenings since B-08 began, except for one frequency, 9600, which was colliding not only with jamming but Radio Habana Cuba, as previously reported. Now that has been replaced by a revived schedule:

2200-2400 Sat/Sun 11835
2300-2400 Mon-Fri 11835
0000-0200  daily   9785
as well as, already running:
1100-1200 Mon-Fri  6100

Evening service started Nov 8, and we were standing by on 11835. Huge carrier cut on at 2159:30, then R. República theme music and sign-on with a false start, so repeated, but no times or frequencies mentioned; right into first program, ``Pasos a la Libertad``. Despite the very strong signal, could detect another carrier underneath from 2201, causing a slight SAH, and then traces of talk under R.R.; not jamming, but nothing else scheduled here. Cross-modulation in receiver?

At 2300 a slight mistake at Sackville as República was cut off for several minutes while an RCI Spanish program ran instead, and then back to R.R.

It did not take long for the DentroCuban Jamming Command to find this; at our next check 2352 there was heavy jamming on 11835; at 2356 R.R. was talking about boxing. This cut off abruptly at 2359 without any change-of-frequency announcement. The jamming continued, still at 0002 against nothing.

>From 2200, R. Ukraine International is on 9785 with its additional service to S America at 245 degrees. This was quite weak here, and bothered in the 23 UT hour by Sackville TDP QRDRM from 9785 to 9790 to 9795. Fortunately this went off by 2359, allowing RUI to be in the clear very briefly.

9785 came up at *0000 with a brief OC, then a República program called ``Por Cuenta Propia``, way over RUI, but probably a considerable collision where the beams cross in S America, on the air until 0200. No jamming audible by 0007.

I still could not hear any jamming on 9785 by 0100 when R.R. were starting ``Los Protagonistas de la Música``. But the MUF from dentroCuba had dropped, with RHC much weaker on 9820, 9600, etc.

Final check at 0155, found nothing but jamming for the first time on 9785. Either R.R. had already signed off or faded out.

Meanwhile I was also checking RHC frequencies. At 2209, 9600 was free for Vatican in Chinese, no jamming, Dentro- or Fuera-Cubans. At 2353, RHC and jamming were vying for 9600, but nothing audible from República, so apparently 11835/9785 replace 9600. At 2357 I could make out Vatican IS on 9600 under RHC and jamming.

RHC had hurricane preparedness special on 9820 at 2355, VG signal not // other frequencies, talking about embalses (dams) in Santiago de Cuba, evacuating flood-prone areas once again. 9820 is the Mesa Redonda frequency on weekdays. RHC not audible on 11690 at 0002 where it had been colliding with DW Rwanda the night before (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GERMANY [non]. DW`s English broadcast to W Africa, 295 degrees from Rwanda, carries on well to NAm, where DW does not want us to listen on SW, at 0600-0630; Nov 9 at 0620 playing ``Joy to the World`` and asking listeners to send in Xmas greetings and music requests ASAP for pre-Xmas specials (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. VOI, 9526, screwed up again but at least still on the air, Nov 9 at 1350 with undermodulated music, announcement by YL in non-English, seems Indonesian but could be Malay; modulation also cutting out occasionally but not as bad as the day before. Still no English at 1402 when had QRM from VOA in Korean, maybe spur from Tinang 9555? Next check at 1423, VOI was finally in English, so running well over an hour late, with This Day in History, and then this week in review. Het from 9525 came on at 1427, which would be Turkey`s Bosnian service; 1457 VOI still in English with some modulation cuts, 9525 het starts again at 1458, this time scheduled China Kashi in English; VOI 9526 went off the air sometime between 1510 and 1520 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN [and non]. REE, sports coverage in Castilian, Sat Nov 8 at 2208 on 9630, not 9640, where we had heard them during the previous week during this time period. It seems that REE made identical registrations for both frequencies at 1900-2300, 250 kW at 290 degrees from Noblejas for zones 4, 7-11 --- so they would use one or the other but not really both. 9640 was published in their original B-08 schedule. Perhaps they found that DentroCuban jamming wastage against former República frequency 9640 might as well be avoided; 9630, after all, is a traditional REE frequency.

There has been a lot of confusion about the scheduling of Amigos de la Onda Corta, the Spanish DX program in the B-08 season. The program grid at http://telefonica.net/web2/radioescuchadx/reeb08p.pdf shows in the 15-16 UT hour Tablero Deportivo, but with ``duplicidad`` of Amigos de la OC and El Cine. This presumably means that certain frequencies carry the alternative programs, but which? M-F during same hour there is another duplicidad, Africa Hoy, so perhaps these other programs are on the African frequency only, 17755, which I did not check, not having figured this out until afterwards.

I did find that 17595 direct and 15125 via Costa Rica, were running Tablero Deportivo after the 1500 news, and still at 1545, saying a game was about to start a las 5, i.e. 1600 UT. Before 1500, two CR relays were simul 15125 to SAm and 15170 to NAm, the latter quitting at 15. This happens on Sundays only (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SWEDEN. Here`s another chance to hear R. Sweden direct in our mornings, despite deletion of Sackville relays and deletion of Hörby aimed usward: Nov 9 at 1343, fair signal but short/longpath echo on 7465 in interview about how relations with USA would change thanks to Pres. Obama. This semihour is aimed 40 degrees from Hörby, targeting China, Japan and SE Russia (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. VOA Kriyol service to Haiti, Sat Nov 8 at 2206, VG on 15390 and 13725, but missing from listed // 11895, which only had a weak signal with Far-East flutter. Talking about the hurricane hitting eastern Cuba, which may also affect Haiti?

VOA Spanish service features American music at least on weekends; Sunday Nov 9 at 1348 on 9885, ``There`s a Slick Chick a-Waitin` in my Chickasha Home`` by Roy Rogers, which is about the last thing I would have expected to hear on La Voz de América; it was ``el clásico country de la semana en Música Country desde Wáshington`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. QSO with Ted Randall in progress, Nov 9 at 0628 on WRMI 9955, repeat of the Iraq-troops ham-station interview, mixed with jamming but generally intelligible. Presumably now scheduled 0600-0800 UT Sundays, one hour later than during standard time.

Before 1500 Nov 9, WRMI could be heard at times in Cuban exile program, along with heavy jamming. At 1501, must have switched to NW antenna, as R. Prague relay in English was strong enough, but still some jamming audible underneath (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. So far I have been able to confirm DXing with Cumbre on only two of the several times scheduled on the WHR website: Sat 1530 on 11785, and UT Sun 0230 on 5850. Many of the others are inaudible in the case of T8WH, or obviously not on the air at all in the case of WHRI and WHRA. UT Monday and weekday broadcasts yet to be checked (Glenn Hauser, OK, Nov 9, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: