[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 11-12, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 11-12, 2008

** BULGARIA [and non]. R. Bulgaria missing from 15700 Nov 11 at 1409, tho other signals from the region were OK, e.g. GREECE on 15650. I hope 15700 is off the air because they are fixing the spurs it was putting out. Neighboring Portugal on 15690, tone test on 15710 were unimpeded; the latter presumably Cairo following Indonesian transmission until 1400; gone a few minutes later.

R. Bulgaria still missing from spiky 15700, Nov 12 at 1411. I wonder if more transmissions are missing one of their two frequency-transmitters, as admittedly happened a few weeks ago (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA [and non]. On weekdays, R. República via Sackville 11835 starts an hour later than weekends, i.e. 2300. But at 2200 Nov 11, DentroCuban jamming was already running against nothing on 11835; it was however, lite. (Why don`t they use dummy loads, when in standby mode? Ha!) Recheck at 2325, R.R. and jamming both on in force.

Jamming was also running at 2325 on 9600, not against RR but against RHC in French, ha ha, // 5965 which was not jammed. BTW, the 2300-2330 French broadcast is supposed to be only on 5965, per http://www.radiohc.cu/espanol/frecuencia/frecuencias-espanol.htm

RHC, 12000, reciting evening transmission schedule just before closing in the morning, Nov 12 at 1457, including 6180 at 0200-0500, which reminds me, I have not heard RHC on that frequency in weeks; is it really on? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CZECHIA. 11600 with fife and drum, Renaissance music had me guessing, Nov 12 at 1427, soon resolved at 1429 by R. Prague IS and off, so that was just music fill after English to S Asia, and presumably // 13580 to NAm (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GABON [non]. Africa Numéro Un still missing from 17630, Nov 12 at 1414 and 1504 checks, just CRI English via Mali in the clear. That probably also eliminates the blockage of Antarctica on 15476 at 1800-1900 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GERMANY. New signal on 15185, Nov 11 at 1443 with South Asian songs, unID language talk concluding with ``amen``, post box address in Orissa. Per DX Mix News, Bulgaria, this is ex-13830 which was colliding with R. Solh --- Gospel for Asia via Wertachtal, 1330-1500 at 90 degrees in ``SE`` Asian languages, but seems S Asian to me (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also SOUTH CAROLINA [non]

** INDONESIA. VOI, 9526, Nov 11 at 1357 check in English interviewing someone about music in Banjarmasin. Reconfirmed Nov 12 at 1355 with Indo rap (or monkey rap? Quite a cross-cultural combination), English announcement. This is in the so-called ``music`` segment at the end of each transmission (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PHILIPPINES. Tuned 9760 for VOA News at 1500 Nov 11, but nothing there --- cut on a minute late, news in progress at 1501. Transmitter just switched from 9345, both on the beam USward. O well, the news is just filler until the Spe-cial Eng-lish at 1505. 9345 was also missing after 1400 Nov 12 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DGIEST)

** SOUTH CAROLINA [non]. Brother Scare, 17485, Nov 12 at 1502, good signal but crummy internet feed with artifacts in speech, theme music. Then found synchronized // approx. 17540 fading in and out, and likewise on 17430, ergo spurs from 17485, which during this hour only is 160 degrees from ``Jew-lick``, as R. G. pronounces the German transmitter site (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN. Checking 11780 for scheduled Sephardic weekly broadcast by REE to S America, UT Tue Nov 11 at 0115+ I was hearing continuous pop music, more likely from Brasil. 0135 recheck, yes it`s Brasil, in Portuguese; I can`t really detect anything under it, and Spain is not making it on 11680, poor to nil propagation from Europe. However, it is inadvisable to broadcast on 11780 to South America when there is a South American station on 11780! The final repeat, for NAm at 0415-0445 UT Tuesdays, was confirmed on 9690, not 9650, at 0430 check Nov 11 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. VOT, 12035, Wed Nov 12 at 1405 concluding Letterbox by recommending the TRT-4 stream for those who like Turkish classical music. That`s button 4 on the bottom side of the player at http://www.trt.net.tr/wwwtrt/canli.aspx since the one at the top labeled TRT-4 is for television. Ah, just brought it up, nice music, except for news on the hour, when they keep playing non-classical music underneath, the news being just too boring to listen to without a music bed (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U K [non]. BBCWS in English, which had been missing from 5975 the last few days due to flooding in Thailand forcing the relay station off the air, was back Nov 12 at 1335, something about WWII, and recheck 1431 in news headlines. Weak but clear, about the same as Thailand had been, so where is this coming from now? Andy Sennitt, Media Network heard from VTC that Nakhon Sawan would not be back until next week. There could be multiple secret substitutions for the idled 4 x 250 kW transmitters, and we hope they were not actually damaged, but the only substitutes we have been told about concern three other transmissions moved to Madagascar (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. KJES, 11715, I rarely hear tho I scan 25m every morning. It was weakly audible with off-key singing, Nov 12 at 1402, with CCI and SAH; slightly better at 1425 check, and more so at 1456 but still poor overall. Per EiBi the other station on 11715 this hour is R. Liberty in Uzbek via Lampertheim, GERMANY. So the question remains: is KJES irregularly on the air, or is it just propagation, as it`s really too close and mostly skips over OK? FCC shows the 3-hour KJES transmission at 14-17 changes azimuths each hour from 70 to 350 to 150 degrees. Most favorable for here is certainly 70, but the later hours with MUF buildup might still make it better here later on the others. No, recheck at 1627, still singing, and still very marginal signal but without the QRM (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. 13645, Wed Nov 12 at 1406, screaming American gospel huxter, suffering from vocalized breathing/gasping, worked himself into a lather with frequent amens; fair signal with some flutter. Per EiBi this is Pan American Broadcasting via Wertachtal, GERMANY, to S Asia. Those lucky South Asians! Or should that be Ban American broadcasting? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. A slow sweeper descended the 31m band, putting swishy QRM across each station it met, Nov 12 at 1350-1352, at the rate of roughly 100 kHz per minute, tracked from 9700 down to 9500. Ionospheric sounders normally sweep by at a much faster rate, so what is this? I also noticed the same a few days ago on another band but did not log. The carrier is quite dirty (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 6074, Nov 11 at 1400: nothing audible from 8GAL this time, as RR 6075 closed. Presumed Russian military, 8GAL audible again Nov 12 at 1400 on 6074: Radio Rossii 6075 carrier cut off after only one timesignal pip, and CQ CQ CQ DE 8GAL 8GAL 8GAL K did not start transmitting until almost a semiminute later as I was about to give up; fortunately, I had the BFO on. Very weak, but audible (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Someone has started running DRM on 11700-11705-11710 interfering with Radio Japan! Tune-in Nov 12 at 1358 to find DRM dominating, NHK Yamata barely audible underneath concluding Indonesian. From 1400 much stronger NHK Sackville atop, but DRM noise still audible underneath; 1429 Sackville off, uncovering another minute of NHK direct from Yamata where it is allowed to complete its sign-off routine, and DRM still there. Prime suspect is HCJB, which is scheduled with DRM in Portuguese but only at 1500-1700! Why turn it on early messing up R. Japan? It`s only 4 kW at 110 degrees from Pifo, but plenty of signal back up here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: