[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 23-25, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 23-25, 2008

** ASCENSION. Just when we are enjoying reliable reception of Star Radio & Cotton Tree News, 0700-0800 on 9525, they step up a band to iffier 25m, where on 11875 I could only detect some music and flutter at 0700 Nov 23. That`s the NF reported by Kouji Yamada, Japan Premium. Next night, Nov 24 at 0700, nothing audible on 11875 but WEWN Spanish squealer quite audible on 11870 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** BULGARIA. R. Bulgaria`s warbling transmitter was back on 15700, Nov 23 at 1433 check. Gone again Nov 24 at 1400. Alternate day operation? May I suggest that they take it off and keep it off until repaired. Also 7400 warbling at 2209 Nov 24 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA [and non]. CNR-1 echo jammer on 7525, Nov 24 at 1420, // 6040. 7525 is scheduled 14-15 only with VOA Chinese via Thailand (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PORTUGAL. Found extremely distorted talk on about 15858, Tue Nov 25 at 1524, maybe in Russian? Intonation seemed like that, but no, 1526 RDP Internacional ID in Portuguese! Therefore this must be a spur of 15690 which had a loud and clear signal, and likely accompanied by another spur 168 kHz lower --- and yes, there it is around 15522, tho not as strong as the upper one.

1530 into Caixa Postal DX program, continuing an interview with Miguel Andrade. The last I knew, this was scheduled Mondays at 1418. According to the daily online program schedules at
http://tv1.rtp.pt/EPG/radio/epg-dia.php?canal=5&ac=d&sem=e
1530 Tue has replaced 1418 Mon, at least this week, but the other broadcast remains UT Tue 0030 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ROMANIA. Besides the usual good signal in Romanian on 11940, RRI also heard on 11905, Nov 25 at 1445 with Russian ID as ``Inter-radio Rumania``, then sport; 1454 closing with Russian transmission schedule, and IDs again as above. Never heard the word ``mezhdunarodnaya`` mentioned, the usual rendering of ``International``, but ``Inter`` is certainly a lot less of a mouthful, and the Romanians do have that Romance influence. This service is via Tiganesti, 52 degrees at 1430-1500 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOUTH CAROLINA [non]. Brother Scare is supposedly scheduled 15-17 UT on WBCQ 9330, but Sunday Nov 23 he was already ranting as I tuned by at 1425 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also USA: WWRB; UNIDENTIFIED 13810

** U K [non]. 11915, BBCWS with good signal I had not noticed before, Tue Nov 25 at 1443 amid Digital Planet, item on tantalum. This is yet another example of the fragmentation of international broadcasting on the part of some major players, i.e. instead of establishing one frequency and running it for several hours, it`s on the air for only one hour, in this case plus one more from a different transmitter site. 14-15 it`s Singapore, 100 kW at 315 degrees, then 15-16 Oman, 250 kW at 63 degrees, both for S Asia.

BBC English lessons on 11895, Nov 25 at 1448, heavy interference at about equal level from echoing CNR-1 jammer. The Chicom won`t even let the English teach English to the Chinese! This transmission runs 1300-1530 via Singapore, 100 kW at 13 degrees (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Dave Frantz notified us that WWRB has a new frequency at 02-05 for Brother Stair, 3145. He also claims that their next newest frequency, 3215 at 22-02 proves once and for all that WWRB`s signal is better than WWCR`s, which is on the same frequency after 02. So I was monitoring the changeover Nov 24: WWRB 3215 went off at 0156* after Dave instructed listeners to retune to 3.145, which he must have mentioned 10 times. Signal was S9+20. WWCR came up on 3215 at 0159, S9+25. Sorry, Dave, you lose. And WWRB 3145 from *0159 was quite a bit weaker than 3185 and 3215, not only signal but considerably undermodulated, and still the case when next checked at 0455. We`ll see if some military/utility user of 3145 objects to WWRB, as someone must have to 3270 which was only briefly in use.

WWCR, 13845, PMS with big crackle on modulation, splattering at least 10 kHz either side, Nov 24 at 1507, but then cleared up at least for the moment. I can imagine that someone was jockeying the dish to lock in on the best satellite signal (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 6074, 8GAL CW marker started late Nov 23 at 1401:30 as I had about given up waiting for it after Russia 6075 1400*. I also noticed the timesignal from that was almost 10 seconds slow. Copy of very weak 8GAL was virtually at the imagination level, but I did make out one or two matching letters (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 13810, Nov 24 at 1505 audio cutting out, sounded like AWR theme music, then into African harmony. Trouble is, this is scheduled as Brother Scare via Nauen, but unlike his programming; feed mixup or change? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: