[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 26, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 26, 2008

** AUSTRALIA. It`s been a while since RA was making it here at night on 15 MHz in English, but Nov 26 at 0655, 15515 was inbooming, stronger than // 15240, 15160; after 0700, 15515 was off. That matches the hard-to-find RA B-08 schedule as in Aoki (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** BRAZIL. RNA, 11780, very strong Nov 26 at 0716 UT, when the Brasilians, if not the Amazonians pretend it is already wake-up time past 5 am, so how about those spurs? Yes, there they are, weak but detectable, a bit further from the primary than previously, distorted modulation spikes centered approximately 11715 and 11845, plus and minus 65 kHz (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** BULGARIA. R. Bulgaria, 7400, still warbling at 0715 check Nov 26. At 1332 found nothing on 15700, but 1439 recheck it was on and OK, no warble! 1454 good with classical music. Then I get word from Ivo Ivanov, frequency manager, that the problem had been fixed as of 1100 UT Nov 26 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. Almost daily check of VOI, Nov 26 at 1317 did not find it on 9526, but recheck at 1400, it was in well outroing English hour, which the YL announcer still claims is ``daily at 0200, 0800 and 2000 hours UTC``. After all these months, she still doesn`t know she is on the air at 1300 when we can conveniently hear her in North America! Then into Bahasa Malaysia (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. RASA Mérida, 6105, Nov 26 at 1308 somewhat distorted Spanish programming including 1311 PSA for something the Gobierno Federal does; some CubaRM from 6100 residual jamming pulses against R. República which is only on the air for one hour at 1100 weekdays! XEQM has deep fades, which seems odd for a station so close. I again compared the frequency to RRI 15105 on the FRG-7 and seemed very close to 6105.0, not 6104.9 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NIGERIA. When AUSTRALIA [q.v.] was inbooming on 19m, I tuned around to see if anything else was making it, Nov 26 at 0657; all I found was weak and fadey English on 15120, and 0700 into French. No ID heard despite my efforts, but this has to be VON, as scheduled, per Aoki, not HFCC. I wonder if it was long-path (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. KEOR, 1120, Sperry, still doing the same thing as when first heard 3+ weeks ago: same old oldies, but many of our sing-along favorites, with long pauses; and legal ID at 1430 UT Nov 26 as ``AM 1120, KEOR, Catoosa``. Radio-info.com thread on this indicates it`s just on the air to keep from losing its license, and/or until someone buys this daytimer. Programming comes from a box at the transmitter site. When first tuned in, was dominating over KMOX SAH of some 15 Hz, but KMOX soon overtook it by 1435, reluctant to give up its skywave even tho the Sun was inching higher in the pre-winter sky. Around this time of year would not be surprised if some signal from KMOX holds up thru high noon (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ROMANIA. RRI in Romanian usually collides head-on with REE Costa Rica on 15170, but Nov 26 at 1337 I could hear only REE, even during pauses. RRI was audible as usual on // 11940, and also in English on 15105, not as strong as usual, talking about Gypsies [sic]. At 1442 recheck RRI collision on 15170 had resumed (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA. 6115, Nov 26 at 1445 Russian choral music, 1447 announcement in Chinese. That`s VOR via Khabarovsk, per Aoki and EiBi; don`t you believe PWBR `2009` that it`s WYFR in English via Irkutsk (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SAO TOME. 11985 with African chants, Hausa announcements, Nov 26 at 0712, good signal. This is VOA at 0700-0730 aimed due north (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN. REE Basque news segment, Nov 26 at 1350-1355 on 17595, was totally in Castilian, even the axualities, except for brief open and close. Preceded as usual by Catalan at 1340, Galician at 1345 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SUDAN [non]. It looks like IRRS is not going to do anything about the collision with Greece at 1500-1550 on 15650 for the Miraya FM service; already at 1455 Nov 26 the Slovakia open carrier was on, producing a SAH on Greek music (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SWEDEN. Whilst checking out VOI 9526, I noticed R. Sweden theme music on 9530, Nov 26 at 1400, opening Russian. Poor, 350 kW at 55 degrees from Hörby (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. 9990, Nov 26 at 1320, bits of music mixed with declamatory talk, Farsi? This was before WWCR 9980 faded up to full blasting and desensitizing strength. Only thing listed in PWBR `2009` is RFE/RL via Kuwait in unID language, but EiBi and Aoki say it`s really R. Free Afghanistan, via Sri Lanka, in Pashto this hour until 1330 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. 13820, Nov 26 at 1327 with hymn in unID S Asian language, lite jamming from Cuba prior to full bore against Martí from 1400; 1329 ``Know Redeemer Liveth`` theme, heard YL mention Bible Voice, I thought, but Eibi says this is YFR via Nauen, Germany, language missing, and Aoki says it`s Family Radio in Bengali. I wonder if any of the radio war in the Western Hemisphere bleeds over into Bengal as this service overlaps DCJC/Martí until 1500 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 15180, Nov 26 at 1334, BBCWS loop announcement with musical theme every 29 seconds, that there is ``no programming on this channel at present. Details of all our services are at bbcworldservice.com``; some splatter from big Costa Rican signal on 15170. BBC gone by 1355 recheck. It was very nice of BBCWS to go to the trouble and expense to tell me that there was nothing to be heard on 15180, but not really needed. Why pick this channel, instead of countless others to fire up a transmitter and tell us they have nothing to say?? No clues in online listings about where this could be coming from; earlier in day, 15180 used by BBC from Oman, Cyprus. I know better than to waste my time searching for info about 15180 at bbcworldservice.com  At least this loop said nothing about satellite, which would be even more irrelevant (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) @@@** AUSTRALIA. It`s been a while since RA was making it here at night on 15 MHz in
[...]

###

Order your WRTH 2008: