[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 27, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 27, 2008

** ALBANIA. R. Tirana, Nov 27 at 2105 in English, just barely audible on 9345, and undermodulated too; // 7510 better but also undermodulated. BTW, big news the day before was that Albania has been accepted for NATO membership (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ANTARCTICA. R. Nacional Arcángel San Gabriel, 15476, Nov 27 at 2025 definite carrier, bits of music; 2052 was peaking better, music and YL talk, fading S6 to S9+10, average S9; 2057 definite ID as LRA36, and later ``la emisora más austral del mundo`` in sign-off message, 2058 to open carrier. Fade rate here was much slower than the other LRA, 15345; see ARGENTINA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ARGENTINA. RAE, 15345v, Nov 27 at 2051, heavy flutter, much faster fading rate compared to LRA36, 15476, Antarctica [q.v.], as whenever I get that I compare the signal to Buenos Aires, really not that close but nothing else besides Chile 15410 to compare with in the Southern Cone. 2056 IS and ID routine. Was not hearing any QRMorocco (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** EQUATORIAL GUINEA. R. Africa, 15190, Nov 27 at 1819 with preacher, somewhat undermodulated and distorted but no QRM at all so good reception, unlike 2058 when badly squeezed by 15185 VOA-Greenville Hausa about to close and 15195 YFR Ascension (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PORTUGAL. RDP Internacional, 12040, Nov 27 at 2021, VG signal with Portuguese announcer going wild over a silly ballgame. Meant to check whether he was still going after 2230, when it would be colliding with HCJB in German (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOUTH CAROLINA [non]. Pres. Obama is already getting a raw deal from the wacko gospel huxters --- as I tuned by WWRB 9385, Nov 27 at 2037, Brother Scare was repeatedly calling him ``Baruch Obama`` --- is that supposed to be an insult implying he is a Jew?? Or another manifestation of the sheer ignorance of R.G.? And a few minutes earlier on WEWN 11520, Patrick Madrid was excoriating Obama as ``an evil man`` for not being anti-abortion, like a good Catholic. At least we can expect VOA to treat him fairly (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

**  U S A. VOA Greenville, 11975, Nov 27 at 1822 with news, VG signal until 1829* as African News Tonight. This is another of those needlessly fragmented transmissions, 1800-1830 only, then hitting same target areas from the other side, Thailand, 1830-1900, inaudible here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WBCQ, off-frequency again, about 15420.1 and colliding with BBCWS via South Africa, 15420.0, making a low het and audio also mixing, tho WBCQ on top with Fence Lake NM anapestic preacher, Nov 27 at 1816 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. The KVOH triplets make another appearance, Nov 27 at 2047, besides fundamental 17775 with music, S9+18 or so, the matching distorted spurs sounded almost as strong, S9+12, around 17629 and 17921 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ZANZIBAR. RTZ, 11735, Nov 27 at 1821, phone ringing and discussion in Swahili(?); with lo het which might be from the off-frequency Brazilian; RNA 11780 also audible but only fair at this hour. Was going to see if Spice FM news in English would appear again this Thursday at 2000, but not at 2008 recheck, already in music, with the same lo het and beginning to wonder if we have another unstable carrier; sounds like a ripple on it with BFO on, not as bad as Bulgaria was, yet (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Sorry about my penultimate report appearing thrice in the same message; did my finger slip when pasting?

Order your WRTH 2008: