[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs December 3, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs December 3, 2008

** BRAZIL [and non]. 11855, Dec 3 at 2207, WYFR Spanish with co-channel QRM which I could make out was in Portuguese, and close enough to the same frequency to make a SAH, unlike most Brazilians. Must be Rádio Aparecida, Catholix vs Protestants! Aparecida is listed as only 1 kW, and Aoki says azimuth is 30 degrees, i.e. up the coast from São Paulo. I often hear QRM to WYFR here, so it speaks well for how well Aparecida gets out; if only they had a clear frequency.

The big guns just ignore it, as besides WYFR there are transmissions at various times on 11855 from VOA/Thailand, BBC/Ascension, CRI/Albania, and BSKSA/Saudi Arabia. This WYFR transmission in question is at 222 degrees for CIRAF 11, Central America and Caribbean, so they can pretend it`s not going into South America, or North America, but it still dominates the frequency here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NIGERIA. 6089.9, no sign of Anguilla at 2247 Dec 3, but instead a strong and very distorted signal with singing/chanting, unseems Arabic, probably Hausa. Also unseems Qur`an, but 2256 followed by brief no-nonsense talk in Arabic, probably sermon. 2257 cut to another announcer, 2259 anthem and off. Already had open carrier 6085 on side from WYFR, and at 2257 QRM from its IS. Also heard DRM noise on 6090, but nothing scheduled co or adjacently, per DRMDX, closest being 6080-6085-6090 10 kW from Ismaning, but closing at 2200. Anyhow, this must have been Radio Nigeria, Kaduna, which WRTH says is 50 kW, Aoki says is 250 kW, PWBR says is 50 kW. I guess we should go with the mode instead of the mean. When Anguilla is on during overlap times, Kaduna furnishes the annoying het (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN. Surprised to hear news about Spain in Castilian, good signal on 9690, Dec 3 at 2303, but the audio cut off for several seconds at a time, came back, off and on again. Finally cut carrier off abruptly at 2306* REE not scheduled here at this time. Per http://telefonica.net/web2/radioescuchadx/reeb08.pdf
the URL of which somehow carries with it the Netscape logo, it`s only for the Sephardic broadcast to NAm UT Tuesdays 0415-0445. Tho 9690 is also used for CRI relays in Chinese and English at 0200-0400.

As soon as I heard 9690 I also checked 9640, 9630 and 9620, but no sign of REE there, nor during the following few minutes. According to same schedule, REE is supposed to switch from 9640 to 9620 at 2300, also switching antenna from N to S America. So I suspect that 9690 was punched up by mistake instead of 9640. Did find REE on scheduled 9535 at 2310 but much weaker than 9690 had been, and still nothing on 9620 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. Sometimes the first airing of WORLD OF RADIO on WRMI, 9955 is UT Wednesday at 0630, but that depends on getting it ready and downloaded in time. Not so for #1437 Dec 3, but the new edition did appear at the next opportunity 1230, as checked in progress at 1240; at first no DentroCuban jamming audible, but then could hear it building up. Excuse me if I am a bit peeved at my fellow DX program colleague Arnaldo Coro Antich who gets no such treatment from the USA; in fact a DXLD contributor has even been recording his shows and availablizing them so anyone can listen at their convenience (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 9600, weak Dec 3 at 2312 had a tone, which I figured would be Vatican about to open its Vietnamese service, instead of running 2.5 minutes of English as they used to do --- but no, the tone kept on going past 2315, 2321, and no VR IS was heard altho there was a weaker signal underneath, despite nothing else on schedules. Another idea: could it be a revival of XEYU, which was always offset around 9599.2 or 9599.3? Hard to tell on my FRG-7, but I think the tone was on both sides of the carrier, rather than a het from one side. No RHC yet, nominally from 0000, but has been known to open an hour earlier. Needs more checking (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Looking for the Observatório Nacional, Rio de Janeiro timesignals on 9999 --- Dec 3 at 2155 WWVH was dominating 10000, tho not very strong; it did seem there was a third signal producing additional tones, but could not pull any voice, which of course coincides with the WWV announcements just before minute-top. Great coordination! Not to mention QRMing WWV and WWVH, a much bigger problem in S America, when a further offset frequency could have been chosen deliberately, such as 10004.

15000 had Spanish SSB 2-way at 1445 Dec 2; no timesignals audible at all (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: