[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs December 7-9, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs December 7-9, 2008

** ALBANIA. R. Tirana, 13720, English to NAm, Dec 8 at 1530 with usual full schedule in English to open each broadcast; fair modulation. This being a Monday and/or a holiday, no news, but immediately into feature about a Moslem holiday and how well the Orthodox, Catholix and Moslems get along in Albania, their customs, etc. What about Protestants and Atheists? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. CHU, 7335, Dec 9 around 1430, operations normal, but I expect them to start announcing the frequency change to 7850 will go into effect January 1, and there will also be a leap second at the end of 2008y (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. R. Canada Internal, 9610, Monday Dec 8 at 1547, surprised to hear them in Portuguese, with program for crianças, then into chanson in French; 1549 RCI ID in English, and back to Portuguese which is actually an English lesson for immigrant children. Now I`m totally confused, since the schedules at http://www.rciviva.ca/rci/PDF/2008Fall/H08_SW_24h_SIMP.pdf
and http://www.rciviva.ca/rci/PDF/2008Fall/RCI-TECH-B08-ENG.pdf
claim at 1535-1604 on 9610, RCI is in Russian on weekdays, Ukrainian on weekends! Have they decided just to throw out all the individual language segments and mix them all up? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA [non]. 11835 with heavy jamming, Dec 8 at 2327 but could not hear any Radio República. May have been replaced by WRMI direct on 9955 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NETHERLANDS [non]. 11520, under WEWN Spanish heard station in English giving frequencies at 1358 Dec 9. That`s RNW opening hour via Madagascar at 50 degrees, so they assume there will be no collision in S Asian target area. Still, knowing a bit about SW propagation, I would not pick a frequency also used by a superpower station on the other worldside.

The anomaly of RNW opening English on 6105 at 1359 via Tinang, Philippines, was not repeated Dec 7 as the transmitter did not come on until after 1400 when VOA Chinese was underway (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ROMANIA. RRI on new 11970 ex-17745 for the 1300 English broadcast to Europe (and NAm beyond); Dec 9 just tuned in 11970 in time to hear the IS at 1356 but quite poor signal compared to Romanian on 11940 which continued another hour; how could that be?

17745 was 300 kW, 307 degrees from Tiganesti, so 11970 should be too, while 11940 is 300 kW, 285 degrees from Galbeni. 17745 used to come in well on good days, but that leaves // 15105 which should remain reliable. Anyhow, 11970 collides with WYFR until 1345 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U K [non]. 9625, two stations in English mixing with 3 Hz SAH at about equal level, one surely CBC NQ, but at 1428 Dec 8 the other IDed as BBC World Service --- what? Same Dec 9 at 1423 check, quickly confirmed as BBCWS by // 5975 via Thailand, interviewing Jamaican PM. Not scheduled on this frequency; supposed to be Channel Africa in English at 14-16. Meyerton putting the wrong feed on the air? SENTECH has been notified (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WRMI, 9955, Tue Dec 9 at 0610 in Viva Miami, Jeff & Thaïs White in Spanish about Cusco, Peruvian Xmas music. Good with no jamming but deep fades. S Florida was dominating 31m at this time, also WYFR but not much else. 0619 WRMI into DX Partyline but not the latest edition, dated Nov 29. Did not have these on my DX program schedule, as not on WRMI`s program schedule, just 06-07 M-F miscellaneous repeats of DX and other programs. Viva Miami is sometimes only 7 minutes long now to fill out odd purchased times. Also AWR Wavescan after 0630 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. 9385, Dec 8 at 1541, usual huge signal from WWRB in Brother Scare service, but now some other preacher in progress, obviously influenced by B.S., accusing the Jesuits of ``dirty work``. More interesting was the undercurrent of co-channel interference in Korean. EiBi and Aoki say it`s R Free Asia via Sri Lanka, while HFCC says Saipan.

What does PWBR `2009` say? Saipan, but language is only ``other`` and jammed. Hey, what about WWRB! NO listing of WWRB on 9385 at all, despite having used that frequency as early as the A-06 season per FCC. WWRB also does not make the cut on page 326 about US stations. If you think PWBR info is comprehensive, you are seriously mistaken; for that you need the World Radio TV Handbook (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. 13700 with talk in S Asian language, Dec 8 at 1512 past 1530; at 1523 paused for a different announcer to mention something about kiloHertz. I`m not going to specify their presumed genders but you have a 50-50 chance of guessing right. Fair signal and would have been OK if not for much stronger WYFR in Spanish on 13695 splattering. What does PWBR `2009` say, stored right next to the radio, and the computer in another room not yet upfired? NOTHING.

Believe me, I don`t have to go looking for PWBR`s shortcomings. They just keep appearing frequently when I try to look up an unID! B-08 online listings, of course, have the answer. YFR in Hindi at 14-16 via Germany, tho which site is contradictory, Nauen or Wertachtal. Family Radio vs Family Radio! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WINB is quite flexible about when it switches frequencies. 13570v missing Monday Dec 8 at 1540, so I check 9265v --- yes, still going there, non-Brother Stair preacher. On Saturdays for sure they extend 9265 much later to accommodate the B.S. Sabbath service (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)  ###

Order your WRTH 2008: