[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs December 10, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs December 10, 2008

** ALGERIA [non]. 5865, weak with Qur`an at 0652 Dec 10; relay via FRANCE. DX Mix News asserted that these relays of RTA via France are no longer the Qur`an program, but we sure hear a lot of it anyway. Can Arabic-speakers please identify which Algerian program is really being relayed, or does it vary? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GUAM [non]. 11675, Dec 10 at 1500 AWR Voice of Hope ID in English and introducing program in Nepalese; started with nice music but soon overshadowed by bilingual Venezuela via Cuba on 11680. Whence? Wertachtal, GERMANY, per EiBi (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDIA. Dec 10 may have been a poor morning for Indonesia, but it was a good morning for AIR GOS, 9690, SE Asian service, with ID at 1336 amid news mostly about Indo/Pak situation; still fairly well heard at 1424 check with comments on Mrs. Clinton as Secretary of State. Hmm, we don`t hear her maiden name Rodham much any more; why? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. VOI inaudible on 9526, Dec 10 at 1330 check during English hour, but apparently just poor propagation as it had become audible poorly during Malay hour at 1422 on 9525.9 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KUWAIT. 15110 with good but fluttery Qur`an, Dec 10 at 1505, joined by chorus at 1508. This is R. Kuwait in Arabic to S Asia, per EiBi (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MONGOLIA [non]. 12025, Dec 10 at 1350 with IS I first thought was one of the gospel huxters, but a rather odd time for it, followed by ID in Russian which I first thought was saying ``Radiostantsiya Golos Angoliy`` --- but there is no Russian from Angola! Then I realized it is ``Radiostantsiya Golos Mongoliy``, the relay via Golos Rossii, which has been reported on 13600 at 1334-1359 by Rumen Pankov in DXLD 8-125. Could not hear it there, but I previously noted the two were //. Fair signal with flutter (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PHILIPPINES. Another check of 6105 at 1359 Dec 10 to see whether IBB Tinang has managed to avoid relaying one minute of Radio Netherlands in English: almost; at 1359:55 heard a fragment of RN`s instantly recognizable carillon IS, but then into VOA Chinese. Meanwhile the constant het which is believed to be Yucatán on the low side, and also co-channel, probably Chinese jamming other than Firedrake (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SLOVAKIA [and non]. No luck so far here with reactivated Solomon Islands on 9541.5v; Dec 10 at 1420 all I could hear was Russian on 9540, which is RSI, and worse, QRDRM from DW 9540-9545-9550 via Woofferton UK. Doesn`t Slovakia kind of ruin the DRM reception around Europe? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U K [non]. Not only Dec 8 and 9, but still Dec 10, 9625 carrying BBCWS in English instead of expected Channel Africa, at 1423 check mixing with CBC Northern, and // a reverb away from BBCWS via Thailand 5975. I check the SENTECH schedule and see that yes, 9625 is still supposed to be Channel Africa:
http://www.sentech.co.za/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=101&bid=25&btitle=Frequencies&meid=116

Kathy Otto replies with monitoring clips from Harare on Dec 8 and 9 during that hour proving that Channel Africa was indeed the programming on 9625. So there must be some other explanation. Rampisham is scheduled from 1500 in BBCWS Russian, so possibly VTC has added an hour of English before that from one site or another. Also Sackville could have a double feed, except that on Dec 8 there was a 3 Hz SAH indicating separate transmitters if not separate sites. And if Channel Africa is still there as usual, I am not hearing a third station in the mix now, tho I have heard it previously colliding with CBC (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. RTI in Spanish via WYFR, 5950, Dec 10 at 0654 was splattering or spurring plus and minus 10 kHz, not usually the case (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. 11805, Dec 10 at 1428 in what seemed like Arabic music, 1430:15 cut to non-Arabic talk about George Bush. What does PWBR `2009` say? VOA via Biblis, GERMANY in Russian! This was no Russian, but EiBi agrees it is Biblis, with VOA Kurdish instead. Some CCI, but nothing else known to be on frequency at this time. Surely not R. Globo, Brasil, back where it belongs (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: