[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs December 25, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs December 25, 2008

** ALASKA. KNLS, 6150, with an interesting extended feature report on the Navajo rug market in Crownpoint NM, Dec 25 around 1410, part of a series about stuff near I-40 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ALBANIA. After hearing CFRX at 1905 [see CANADA], I scanned 49m for anything from Europe at that early time, only a semi-hour after low noon here at 1832 UT Dec 25. And I found a weak signal on 5970 talking in French. This fits the CRI relay via Albania, and the only other transmission on 5970 at that time is the Ukrainian domestic relay.

Cërrik has the advantage of being aimed 310 degrees toward France, and incidentally North America far beyond. That azimuth, also used by nearby Shijak for R. Tirana North American broadcasts, crosses near Paris, Montréal, Indianapolis and Texarkana, only 4 degrees away from Enid at 314 from Albania.

R. Tirana`s new frequency in Albanian to Eu and NAm at 2130-2300, 7435 ex-9345 at 310 degrees, had a fair signal with deep fades at 2230 Dec 25; no co- or adjacent-channel interference (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. I can now confirm that CFRX, 6070 Toronto, makes it this far all day, as just a semi-hour after low noon, Dec 25 at 1905, it was audible, and somewhat readable altho lower into the noise level than at less bright times. The only other significant 49mb signal was 24-hour WBOH, NC on 5920, but CFRX was better. At 2230 CFRX was atop a lot of QRM from Romania, which uses 6070 only at 22-23 in Spanish for SAm (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. CBCNQ, 9625, in whack when checked Dec 25 at 1505 with Xmas music special, and also around 1915 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHAD [and non]. Altho RNT was on 4905 the morning before, on UT Dec 25 at 0645 nothing heard there, and instead heavy QRM on 6165 with Croatia. At 0647 I was getting African music mixing with talk. At 0655 Croatian talk was on top and at 0657 a song sung by a mezzo(?) soprano, perhaps the Croatian national anthem? The two signals were making a het on the boundary between audible and subaudible, maybe 20-25 Hz? Rechecked at 2230, nothing on 6165 or 4905; may have just missed the sign-off (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CROATIA. See CHAD [and non]

** CZECHIA [non]. See USA: WRMI

** ERITREA [non]. See ETHIOPIA

** ETHIOPIA. 9556v making a big het on VOA Korean, 9555.0, Dec 25 at 1458 just before VOA closing at 1500, when I immediately heard ``Addis Ababa, Ethiopia`` mentioned. 1501 Arabic ID ``Huna, Sawt ---`` something, and seemingly in other languages including the word ``Demokrasi``. The signal now good and clear with nothing on 9555 to het it; with BFO I could tell it was varying slightly, sometimes below 9556 such as at 1502, but mostly on the hi side, such as at 1504. Also found the other off-frequency Ethiopian transmitter on 9704.2 or so.

This closely matches Brian Alexander`s log on Dec 21, when R. Ethiopia was varying 9556.04 to 9556.32, but at quite a different time, 0703-0711. This is obviously the same transmitter at Gedja, which had previously been varying much closer to nominal 9560.

But it`s not R. Ethiopia programming at 1500. Aoki says it`s Voice of Democratic Alliance at 1500-1600, which in the first half hour is in Arabic on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday; Tigrinya on Tuesday, Thursday [such as Dec 25] and Saturday. There must be a mistake there with both languages shown for day 3 = Tuesday.

WRTH 2009 page 492 clarifies that this is clandestine for Eritrea, with Arabic on M/W/F/Sun, Tigrinya on Tue/Thu/Sat. Confusion probably arises from WRTH starting the week on Monday, Aoki and HFCC starting the week with day 1 = Sunday. The second half of the hour is in Kunama M/W/F, Afar Tue/Thu/Sat, and on Sundays Tigrinya; // thruout is 7165, both 100 kW non-direxional (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GREECE. See TURKEY [and non]

** SYRIA. See USA: WBCQ

** U S A. WRMI, 9955, Thu Dec 25 at 1508 with Frecuencia al Día over jamming, unscheduled time, instead of R. Prague. Jeff White tells me their new computer playout system skipped a program, but they hope to have everything straightened out shortly (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY [and non]. 7205, best signal on 41m, Dec 25 at 1911 was playing ME music. This must have been VOT`s German service at 1830, 310 degrees from Emirler, so carrying on directly to N America. Was also hearing Greek music on 7450 which is the Makedonias service at 323 degrees from Avlis; nothing yet from VOG itself on 7475, not opening until 2000 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WBCQ, 9330-CUSB, Dec 25 at 1913 with `Sound Body` program from Christian Media Network in southern Oregon, YL pushing colloidal silver. What became of the financial show during this hour? Modulation distorted probably because of Syrian carrier on slightly different frequency. It was hard to tell, but I think WBCQ was now very slightly above 9330. Helped to turn on the BFO for proper demodulation of The Planet (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Unlike the previous day when it was around 10975, OTH radar pulsing found Dec 26 at 1417 on 11470-11490 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: