[HCDX] Logs for Al Muick

QTH:	Kabul, Afghanistan
RX:	WinRadio G303e
ANT:	200m Longwire/Randomwire
ACC:	Palstar MW-550P Mediumwave Preselector

3321	AFGHANISTAN, RTV Afghanistan heard at 1627 on 29 Dec with local talk
in vernacular and some music.  This is the 3rd harmonic of nominal 1107 kHz.
This just appeared so they may be mis-tuned.  VoA audio heard underneath the
main audio, so it would appear that the US govt. has their fingers in this
somehow.  Supposedly this is 400kW.  This was very strong, so there is a
very good chance those outside of Afghanistan may hear it.

4865	INDIA, AIR Unid. heard at 1610 on 29 Dec w/subcontinental mx, Hindi
talk and booming signals.  Lots of talk about Pakistan.  Several IDs as "Yeh
All India Radio Heh."  Audio stopped at 1622 in mid talk. Dead air carrier
clear through until 1742 s/off. Nothing listed in EiBi, AOKI, WRTH or AIR
website. Was this 4860 that was misprogrammed?

4925	INDONESIA, RRI Jambi heard at 1558 on 29 Dec w/Indonesian talk,
station ID, up until s/off at 1622.  First Indo regional heard by me here in
Kabul.  Weak, but may be the precursor to a good opening.

Well, the flu is just about gone, and I can at least walk up the stairs
without wheezing.

Our guesthouse generator died the other night, so there was no power and we
spent the night freezing and huddled around one of the famous Afghan stoves.
Thank you Johnnie Walker!  Kept me warm all night.

We now have a new generator and it is practically brand new.  The noise and
hash on the bands have been greatly reduced, (witness RRI Jambi) and there
are lots of new signals to be heard.  Mediumwave is especially clear now
(used to be a lot of spurious genset noise on there), and I am hoping to get
some good DXing in for the New year.

Best 73 de Al Muick

"There is a sacred realm of privacy for every man and woman where he
makes his choices and decisions-a realm of his own essential rights
and liberties into which the law, generally speaking, must not
intrude."
 - Geoffrey Fisher

Order your WRTH 2008: