[HCDX] Log Report for Al Muick - 27 DEC 2010

[HCDX] Log Report for Al Muick - 27 DEC 2010

QTH:    Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan
RX:     WinRadio G303e
ANT:    100m longwire

5025  27 DEC, 0131 UTC, CUBA, Radio Rebelde with latin music and echo
announcements. verified by streaming audio.  Very weak at the time I
caught it.  I will try to get up earlier tomorrow and see if the signal
is stronger.  Two positive Rebelde IDs.

Radio Habana also coming in on 5040 which is supposedly beamed towards
North America.  Much better signal on this frequency.

5045  27 DEC, 0156 UTC, BRAZIL, Radio Cultura do Para, heard in
Portuguese with some Brazilian pops into a full ID by a male announcer
at 0159, several commercial announcements and then news read by a woman
(or a very light-voiced man).  Fair signal level with some UTE QRM and a
slow fade

Haji sent his love and Season's Greetings on Xmas night and last night.
 One of the rockets hit a contractor compound and killed a person on
Xmas night.  The rocket last night was very close as it rocked our
container buildings.  Nothing quite like DXing in the combat zone.

Very nice openings to the Caribbean and South America the last couple of
nights.  I hope it lasts for a bit yet.  I never thought I'd actually
*want* to hear Cuba over here, but it'll be nice if they QSL!

73s
Al

Order your WRTH 2009: