[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs December 11-12, 2015

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs December 11-12, 2015

** CUBA. 4765, Dec 12 at 0119, R. Progreso open carrier is already on prior to nominal *0130 start (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NORTH AMERICA. 6950.0-AM, Dec 12 at 0126, JBA carrier, and still at 0150, while I am mainly listening to AWWW on WBCQ, and find a much stronger pirate on 6975, X-FM. Logs here
http://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,25037.0.html
say 6950 was Radio True North, moving to 4070 around 0312 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NORTH AMERICA. 6975.0-AM, Dec 12 at 0150, rock music at S7, which wasn`t there at earlier check 0125; 0155 DJ announcement goes on for 3 minutes, talking over music, it seems. Now down to S5-S6 and can`t really copy any of it, let alone ID. But numerous logs here
http://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,25041.0.html
say it was X-FM between 0051 and 0337, some with a very strong signal (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 780-, Dec 11 at 1836 UT, ABC news ending at odd time from KSPI Stillwater, 250-watt semi-local. Bandscanning in SSB on NRD-545 10-kHz steps, it`s painfully obvious which stations are off-frequency, and this one is, roughly 779.98. Even worse cases are 1070 KFTI Wichita KS and 1320 KCLI Clinton OK (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [non]. 94.3, Dec 11 at 1900 UT, USA Radio News, full-quieting local quality signal, then news from ``the state capitol, Topeka``, so it`s still no local Okie, but KVCW, Kingman KS, overriding the microwatts (if really on now) from Enid`s KLGB-LP. FM from Kansas may be getting a slight tropo boost this warm midday. Kingman is 141 km = 87 miles away (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 105.7, Dec 11 at 1858 UT, series of ESPN promos, dead air during ID hole at 1859:50 UT to 1900:00 UT, on to `Sports Center`; obviously from KRDR Alva which now blox KROU Spencer, when it`s on. When first on the air a few months ago, KRDR was relaying parent station in Joplin MO, including local ads from there, instead of ESPN direct. They still don`t have their act together at the most basic level (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 106.9, Dec 11 at 1950 UT on caradio in central Enid, I`m trying again to ID a weak station here next to local 107.1 KNID --- lo-fi phoner talk, then ad for financial service, 832-1906 in Cordell --- so that makes it KTIJ, 100/100 kW, 299/299 m, Elk City, which is 20 miles WNW of Cordell, and ID as ``107 the ---`` algo, which per WTFDA FM Database is ``106.9 The Zone`` but not as in end-zone, since format is CHR, not SBG. Distance to E.C. is 176 km = only 109 miles (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. WORLD OF RADIO 1803 monitoring: confirmed the offset playbacks on WRMI, Friday Dec 11 from 2130 on 15770, from 2130.6 on 7570, which is now better; heard on my rooftop via the PL-880 while repairing a TV antenna lead-in. Next:
Sat 0730   HLR 7265-CUSB to SW
Sat 1530   HLR 7265-CUSB to SW
Sat 2030v  WA0RCR 1860-AM ND?
Sun 0415v  WA0RCR 1860-AM ND?
Sun 0900   WRMI 5850 to NW [NEW! But not last week]
Mon 0400v  WBCQ 5110v-CUSB Area 51 to WSW [but preÃmpted last week]
Mon 0430   WRMI 9955 to SSE
Tue 1200   WRMI 9955 to SSE
Wed 1415.5 WRMI 9955 to SSE
Wed 2200   WBCQ 7490v to WSW
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 7489.9-AM, UT Sat Dec 12 from 0116 tune-in, `Allan Weiner Worldwide` on WBCQ. Caller asks about driver tube in the 7490 transmitter. Says it`s at 4CX1500A, replacing the original 4CX1500B with a different socket. These are getting more expensive, and available only from a rebuilder in California. At 0123 someone asks about the delay on 5110 (really 5109.7-CUSB). Allan says programming on that frequency is routed thru a server at Larry Will`s place (in Maryland). At 0130, W5KUB calls from Memphis, about Project Diana, EME on ham radio. His show newly on WBCQ, `Amateur Radio Roundtable` is UT Weds at 0200. Allan says the equipment should be working OK from now on, implying that it was something other than bad propagation impeding reception this Tuesday night.

At 0137, Allan mentions that someone has bought two hours of airtime as a gift to her husband, to be used on New Year`s Eve; no further details. Neat idea! Plugging for more customers, Allan says that they don`t have to worry about music licensing fees since those don`t apply to *international* broadcasting stations from the USA to abroad; ``I know, I know ---``. O, maybe I should play music on WOR?? I was avoiding that issue. At 0140 Ramsey calls, who used to work in hydroelectric power plants, again pleased that I have publicized his old and new shows and again volunteers that ``I believe I understand Glenn Hauser``. Allan says gh is a good guy and ``I know he enjoys the diverse programming on WBCQ`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 700, Dec 11 at 1840 UT, very weak signal on E-W antenna, 1842 UT talk about baseball, mentions Cincinnati, so here`s WLW propagating by skywave just after local mean noon here. Not getting 720 WGN at this time, but very poor from it at 1856 UT check. Distance 1213 km = 754 miles city-to-city, or really a bit further since site is on east side of the Queen city, but definitely within Ohio. Also got WHAS: see 840 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 790, Dec 11 at 1835 UT, mentions Oklahoma Farm Bureau, but there is no 790 in OK; also mentions Rogers, so KURM in northwest AR is making it at midday; skywave boost? Maybe not. Best on E-W antenna, while on N-S antenna there is C&W music, so KXXX Colby KS (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 840, Dec 11 at 1833 UT, in low-noon bandscan right at local mean 12:01 pm, Honda ad; could be KTIC in NE, but no, best on the ALA330-S antenna aimed E-W, into the NRD-545 rather than caradio this time. 1834 UT mentions ``across Kentucky`` and to clinch it, WHAS ID. Skywave at midday, distance 1092 km = 678 miles city-to-city, but radio-locator shows site is a bit east of Louisville, so even further. At least it`s definitely in KY, unlike several TV stations over the river in IN. A slight SAH maybe from KTIC. Also got WLW; see 700 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2660, Dec 12 at 0111, JBA AM carrier. It`s a frequency I always check during 2 MHz bandscans along with the Canadian Coast Guards. I continue to think it`s still the second harmonic of KGLD, Tyler TX, 2 x 1330, and claim to be the only DXer who ever definitely IDed it, a couple of years ago, but now it`s never strong enough to pull anything more than traces of audio.

In case anyone else would like to try for it, I point out the official FCC sunset/sunrise times when, if they are following the rules (aside from suppressing harmonix more than this), the fundamental cut from 1000 watts day power to 77 watts night power should occur in December at 2315 UT, just before which one would expect a larger signal on the propagating harmonic (January: 2345 UT). Sunrise is 1315 UT in Dec, 1330 UT in Jan, but it also has a PSRA of 500 watts starting at 1200 UT. So far, when I hear it any time of night, it`s supposedly only a fraxion of 77 watts. Non-direxional at all times. Format is gospel music, and maybe some preaching.

So far, pickins is sparse for any other MW harmonix this winter on 2 or 3 MHz bands (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

This report dispatched at 0425 UT December 12
_