[HCDX] Canada: Is Radio Shalom about to close it doors?

[HCDX] Canada: Is Radio Shalom about to close it doors?

Is Radio Shalom about to close it doors?

http://www.thesuburban.com/blogs/cohen_confidential_with_mike_cohen/is-radio-shalom-about-to-close-it-doors/article_51b85760-af61-11e5-87f1-b7ba652cd67d.html

What is the future forÂRadio Shalom,Âthe only all Jewish radio station in North America that broadcasts from the 1650 AM frequency in Montreal? The fact it has survived for 10 years without any support from the organized Jewish community is in itself a miracle. Now founder Robert Levy has begun to wave the white flag. In a statement issued today, he said the time has come to end his commitment towards the radio station.CJRS, branded as Radio Shalom Montreal, is a 24-hour non-profit radio station based in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. It is Canadaâs first and only trilingual Jewish radio station. Radio Shalom is also the only all Jewish radio station in North America. It broadcasts in French, English and Hebrew. The station broadcasts at 1650 AM. Its current president is Robert Levy.Radio Shalom broadcasts in several different languages, notably English, French, Hebrew and Yiddish. It has a number of interesting talk shows, particularly those hosted by Howie Silbiger and Stanley Asher. ÂWhat I always appreciated about the station is not only can you listen to it live online, but they always maintained a nice archive of past shows.Levy really gave it his best shot, but I must say the proper push was never really made to get the organized Jewish community completely on side. Yes, I know attempts were made, but think of the value ofÂFederation CJA,Âthe YM-YWHAÂand ÂMontreal's plethora of Jewish organizations assuming a piece of the Radio Shalom pie? Each has large constituencies and radio is so direct.Levy's announcement does not necessarily mean Radio Shalom will close. He Âis first and foremost proposing that a new president and board of directors be appointed. Is there such a group out there?Levy spent years working towards gettingÂthe Canadian-radio Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)Âto grant ÂRadio Shalom a license. We know that is no easy task. According to a survey in July 2015 conducted by Charles Shahar, Federation CJA statistician, 84.6 percent of respondents said they were aware of the existence of Radio Shalom. As the report notes, âAll in all, the awareness quotient of the community with regard to Radio Shalom is a very positive finding.â
_