Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 2:08 AM
Subject: Re: [nrd-525-535] SWs Future

Jim,
        And I have also heard that the Icom R-75 may be discontinued. When two of the few major hobby radios are discontinued it is not a good sign. What really concerns me is that no replacements have been announced. The reality is technology and the Net are hitting the radio hobby that I grew up with hard. International broadcasters are abandoning traditional short-wave broadcast in favor of alternative technologies and  not many young people are getting into the hobby and casual listeners are just not there. I suspect the market just isn't there. I suspect my considerable investment in some the best and near best radios of the last 50 years isn't going to turn out to be a particularly good investment. My heirs will probably not get rich on them but I have had a heck of a good time collecting and listening to them. My Icom R-8500 arrived today and it rests just undereneath the Icom R-75 which intern rests a top the NRD 535D.

                                                          Bill Krause

jim franey wrote:

Hello. I have a general question for the group. I have recently observed the demise of Sonys SW77 in the USA (still available in Europe) as well as just yesterday receiving an e mail that Drake is discontinuing there R8B receiver.

I am just wondering what you feel about the future of SW radio in the world?

Does it have a future?     Jim

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links