Re: [IRCA] thoughts on qsl's

In my opinion it's personal on how you want to count it. Some DXers want to
see a statement that the report is verified along with date and time and
others will accept something like "thanks for listening to our station."

I would count what you have because he said he would send you the QSL and
the report was excellent. This implies that it was correct but is short of
an actual QSL card. Somewhat in the grey area and you need to make the call
for yourself.

Either way, it's a neat piece of paper and the DoE signed it.

My WCFL QSL card is from 1972 with Phil Harper DoE and Jack McKay CE, 6
cents metered postage on the card.

Martin Foltz
Mission Viejo CA

> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 21:54:14 -0500
> From: "texas4421"
> Subject: [IRCA] thoughts on qsl's
> To: "IRCA" <IRCA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "AMFMTVDX"
> <AMFMTVDX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <am@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Just a thought about the past.
>
> WHAT COUNTS AS A QSL?
>
> Tonight, as I was digging thought old QSL's I have receive from the past,
from broadcast band stations, I ran across a letter from WCFL-1000 in
Chicago. The envelope was post mark -- 15 Jan 1968, with a 6 cents stamp.
The outside of the cover has written on it, "WCFL, the voice of labor." At
that time WCFL was run by labor unions of Chicago.

> The letter is in a form of a memo, and is signed by Phil Harper, Director
of Engineering.  This memo said,

> "We will gladly send you our QSL card, thanks for the excellent reception
report.
> However, I must ask you to denda stamped self-addressed envelope (6 cents)
to:"
> The memo goes on to give an address to send a 6 cent stamp to.
>
> This character wasted time and postage to tell me that I needed to send
him postage so he could send me a QSL. The envelope is a large cover with
this small piece of paper in it.

> So a few questions arise here.
> 1. Is this letter good enough to count as a QSL, since the sender does
acknowledge I did send him a  'excellent' report? By using
> the word 'excellent' would indicate it was correct. I had never noticed
this until this moment. I had, over all these years, just assumed it was a
conformation.  I never sent him the postage and never received a printed
QSL. And it's obvious it's a little late to do so at this time, since WCFL
is no longer.

> 2. Was/is this typical of the way a union works and treats it's
employee's? Wasting time and money to gig someone over 6 cents.