Re: [IRCA] TP this AM

> Hmm, got to crawl out of bed earlier on Saturday.  After seeing reports
> from Colin Newell (not reported here?) and Pete Taylor about good low band
> TP conditions, and having heard "near nothing" at 1450 UT fading to
> "nothing" by sunrise itself this morning,  I checked the propagation
> monitor for this morning.  Sure enough, big peak on 594 at 1427UT after
> fair signals for much of the night, followed by near complete
> collapse.

Sorry - I started at 1350UTC (5:50AM on the West Coast)
and started my usual run on  the LW dial looking for
Eastern Russian broadcast stations. Seeing not much
of anything, I moved on to 530 +- 1khz looking for
highlevel reception through Alaska (529khz) and
DU or TP on 531khz. I immediately noticed S2 to S4
carriers on 558, 567, 576 and 585khz. Dropping
onto 594khz, I noticed some very distorted audio
and an S9 signal. Looking at my AGC (on the R8), I
realized that it was switched off and the RF Gain
was wide open! Backing off on the RF Gain revealed
some of the best Japanese audio I have ever received
from JOAK Japan (Sony MD now running). Moving up
the dial, I spotted a good carrier but no audio
on 612khz, snippets of audio on 639khz (assume China),
nothing on 675 (Vietnam), carrier on 693khz, 702khz, growl
on 720 (kind of an Asian graveyard with off-frequency power-houses),
738khz, slightly underwhelming audio from Japan on 747khz, carriers
on 756, 765khz and huge armchair levels from 774khz Japan. More
of the same up past 828khz Japan and things seemed to drop off.
There were the odd assortment of carriers noted up past 1143khz
but nothing major. I stayed at the dial past 1510UTC but there
was no major sunrise burst. It just gently drifted into nothingness.

Colin Newell
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Drake R8 - DX440 - Kenwood R2000
Wellbrook ALA100 + assorted loops (indoor and outdoor)

PS: Russian on 279khz appeared at about 1415UTC w/ good levels.