Re: [IRCA] [CapeDX] Mobile DX Recording Question

--- Begin Message ---
I wasn't looking at email when this discussion started but am now going over all the posts.

One thing that has not been mentions is RF interference FROM the digital recording device.  A laptop is more likely to introduce noise / spurious signals than small hand-held recorders.

Old-school cassette recorders even had some degree of trouble with bias harmonics (much like old-school TV sweep harmonics on ~15.7 kHz multiples).  In tough situations, however, cassette recorders may still be worth considering.  Maybe it's not too much of a stretch to think about keeping a battery-operated portable one in any serious DXpedition kit.  Run its output into the Total Recorder, Audacity etc. equipped laptop later on.

Those who use Ultralights will seldom be using a PC-based recording set-up because of the RFI issue.

>From Gary DeBock's numerous DXpedition posts, I have gleaned that, at various times, Edirol R09 and Sony ICDSX68 have been mentioned.  Many of the reports don't say much about how audio was recorded.  Not sure what mp3's were via patch cable or via speaker-to-mike.

If you look on Amazon you'll see that Sony makes quite a few recorders with the "ICD" prefix.  There are also several worthwhile models by Olympus, Archos, Tascam, Marantz, and others.

Edirol is a more professional brand (aimed at musicians), with a price to match.  Its R-09 and R-05 clock in around $200 to $300 so probably overkill for most applications.

As Bruce mentioned, the CC Witness and Pogo LX are completely usable for DX recording.  I have both.

This 2006 recording of Saudi Arabia 1521 made at Granite Pier (Rockport, MA) was with the Pogo LX and is among the first direct-to-digital (i.e. no cassette intermediary) DX recordings made in the car.  Receiver was the Drake R8A.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w913oj2m1m3qpas/dx_saudi_arabia-1521_20060503_2300z.mp3

The next year I got my first SDR (RFSpace SDR-IQ) followed by the Perseus in '09 so the Pogo sort of went into mothballs.

The audio does sound slightly "artifacty" (for lack of a better term) but hey, we're talking DX here, not the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

For me there are still some niche uses for portable digital recorders.

One of these is recording speech, music, and wildlife sounds from built-in microphone(s).  One model that I used successfully is the Zoom H2.  It did quite well when set up outside here on a humid late summer night when the tree frogs, cicadas, crickets, and birds were making a ruckus.

The Zoom H2 can also be used for DX recording.  This is still a necessary use when conventional radios are employed.  The radio could be an Ultralight, some other portable, or a traditional desktop model.  Even when an SDR is expected to be the DX work horse, you should have a back-up plan in case the SDR or laptop goes down.  I like to have my Sony ICF-2010 or Palstar R30 with extra batteries in my DXpedition kit just in case.  That bit of redundancy planning would also include a portable digital recorder and maybe the old cassette recorder as well.

Unlike some units, the Zoom H2/H2N gives a choice between automatic audio levelling (compression) and full (uncompressed) dynamic range where you adjust the setting (on its "meter" display) for peaks thereby getting a truer reproduction of the original source.

https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H2N-H2n-Handy-Recorder/dp/B005CQ2ZY6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472916567&sr=8-1&keywords=h2n+zoom

Ability to record uncompressed is certainly important for musicians and those making field recordings of nature's sounds.  Maybe not quite as important for DX.

Bruce mentioned the CC Witness.  I used mine successfully in 2013 on a quick-sneak-away-for-DX during a family trip to South Carolina.

As the following WBZ from SC recording shows, the unit does the job:
http://chowdanet.com/markc/dx_audio/wbz-1030_heard_in_sc_20131226_2315z.mp3

Receiver was the Kaito KA1103 connected via patch cord.  Using a nearby PC to record probably would have drowned the signal in RFI.

But going back to the subject of PC-based recording, there are numerous outboard audio-to-USB solutions.  Manhattan and Honestech are two brands I know about.  Some of the devices even include their own audio recording and editing software.  They're also handy for taking AV video from a camcorder, VCR, cable box, etc. to create video files on your PC.  As use of such devices by devotees of YouTube are popular, there are quite a few out there from which to choose.

On the lower tech side there's just the simple expedient of a radio-to-PC patch cable with a resistive divider in the middle to convert the computer's mike input to the gain equivalent of a line level input.  Not exactly rocket science.

I have reconnected several messages on this thread for continuity since not everything went to both the IRCA and CapeDX list.

There will likely be other thoughts from the West Coast crowd.  After all, that hotbed-of-DXing area gave us the "High Tech DXpeditioning" article way back in 2003.

http://www.dswci.org/specials/tech/hitechdx/hitechdx.html

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

... I would recommend the C.Crane Witness mp3 player/recorder.  I have its predecessor, the Pogo LX mp3 player/recorder, now some 15 years (?) old and still in use here for converting analog to digital (and for music during long training runs).  I've been able to plug it into the headphone output of various devices that don't have line-level out, and no problems with overload.

--
Bruce Conti
B.A.Conti Photography www.baconti.com