Re: [IRCA] KAZ versus Pennant/Flag

I agree - good discussion! Especially for antenna newbies like myself. I hope you veterans never get tired of going over well-traveled territory in open discussion groups like the IRCA list.

What's great about hobbies like this is that you can go in as deep as you want, and no matter what depth you are at, you can find enjoyment!

Quick question on the DKAZ: Has anyone ever had one "up in the air"? That is, same dimension as usual, but with the bottom wire 6 feet above the ground instead of the usual 2 feet? (Which means the top supports would be higher as well, to maintain the overall shape.) I have room for another DKAZ, but the bottom wire would cross over a footpath. If I could raise it 4 or 5 feet higher, then people could cross under it. (By "people" I mean just myself, and my brother, since the footpath goes through the treeline between our houses.)

Mark Pettifor
Goshen, IN

On 2018-10-23 2:02 pm, R. Colin Newell wrote:
My Flags are generally 27' H By 45-55' Rectangles with the remotely
variable termination attached to the centre of the vertical span facing the
direction I wish to reject -
and the FLG100 head amp is located in the Centre of the vertical span
facing the DX.

I am assuming that this is the traditional configuration of a Flag or
"Pennant" antenna - If I'm wrong I stand corrected.

My FLG100 might not be exactly in the centre part of the DX Facing vertical span NOR is the termination always dead centre -- AND it does seem to work well with the variable remote termination (VACTROL) closer to one corner -
making it a SUPER LOOP is guess or a CORNER FED.

Either way - works well in a decent sized sub-urban back yard.

Good learned discussion on the merits of each - I am very glad I asked! :-)

Is it correct that your flag is really a corner fed loop of 27H x 45W?

--
Colin Newell - Editor and creator *of *Coffeecrew.com
<http://www.Coffeecrew.com> and DXer.ca <http://www.DXer.ca> -
original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of
the IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers