From: Nick Hall-Patch <nhp@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Mark Connelly <markwa1ion@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, Jan 29, 2019 8:00 pm
Subject: Re: [IRCA] a tale of two conditions?

Haven't seen any IRCA replies on this Mark, but
N7DF recently walked back his comments a bit
after seeing quite a few of the other 160m
contestants saying how poor conditions had been.

My own comments that you quoted were from Sunday
morning, traditionally a time when contests on
160m are winding down, and people throw in the
towel if it doesn't look like they'll add any
more contacts to what they've already
made. Saturday morning here was a bit better
than Sunday, but still not anywhere up to what
one might expect from geomagnetic conditions.

Nick

At 05:23 2019-01-29, Mark Connelly via IRCA wrote:

>I wasn't active but I'm very curious as to what
>everyone else noted over the weekend based on the reports below.
>
>Mark Connelly, WA1ION
>South Yarmouth, MA
>
>Exhibit A
><<
>Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 16:03:56 +0000 (UTC)
>From: N7DF <n7df@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: TopBand List <topband@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Topband: really good conditions
>
>Unbelievable signals in CQ160 this weekend..many
>stations 40 over on my FT1000 and several TX and
>AZ signals pegged the meter at 60 over
>PJ2T was 35 over most of the time
>lost my receiving antennas to storms in December and had to use cage only
>still have right wrist in cast so have to hunt and pounce only QLF but had fun
>73 Larry
> >>

>Exhibit B
><<
>From: Nick Hall-Patch <nhp@xxxxxxxx>
>Ã Ã ÃÂ <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [IRCA] TPÃÂ 27 Jan Victoria version.
>
>This morning might take the title for the season's worst...
>
>pretty darn good audio (all of it understandable
>by a native speaker, at least briefly):
>
>not by any means
>
>Reasonable audio atÃÂ times during the period
>(much of it understandable by a native speaker,
>though often battling with splash or noise):
>
>the above passing through
>

>not so reasonable audio, occasional words or
>phrases in splash or noise could be understood by a native speaker:
>
>not in the slightest

>Opinions expressed in messages on this mailing
>list are those of the original contributors and
>do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the

Nick Hall-Patch
Victoria, BC
Canada

--- End Message ---