[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, January 28-February 3, 2019

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT!

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna
only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside
randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75
with E-W longwire.

These logs are excerpts from my daily
all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes,
utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without
much delay, such as

And compiled weekly along with
extensive news from many other individuals and publications
in DX LISTENING DIGEST:
All my MW DX reports starting August
2011 are archived in this forum with open access:Â
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page74
[over 336,000 views! as of February 3, 2019]

** U S A [and non]. MW Bandscan on caradio from somewhat quiet parking
lot in western Enid, Jan 30 from 2015 UT:

670, WSCR in well already with sports talk atop KLTT Denver groundwave

Other low-end channels with mostly JBA understations, presumed
660, Metroplex over Omaha,
620, Metroplex over Sioux City; or Jackson MS?
590, Omaha over Austin
580, Topeka over Lubbock
570, Metroplex over Yankton (as always)
560, two very weak: Springfield & Denver?
550, Salina over Midland
540, Metroplex over Fort Dodge (as always)

710, Amarillo & Kansas City (as always), also het! Chihuahua?
720, WGN also in sports talk, skywave already
840, fast SAH, West Point & Louisville?

860, at 2017 UT, KKOW Pittsburg KS is off! Recheck 2039 back on with
``860 AM KKOW`` ID twice

1050, at 2018 UT, ``All New Heart & Soul, ##.1 and 1050``, which makes
it KGTO Tulsa with 99.1 translator K256CR, while the *other* OK on
1050 is also ``Heart & Soul``, but its FM is 93.7 K239DG, i.e. KXCA
Lawton, which barely makes a SAH on the ND caradio antenna. KXCA is
250 watts direxional away from Tulsa, while KGTO is 1 kW ND, and about
20 miles closer. Despite identical slogans, NRC AM Log shows different
formats: KGTO UC:AC/OLD, and KXCA merely UC:AC

1130, at 2019 UT, NO signal from unreliable KLEY Wellington KS, unlike
neighbors in OK on 1120, 1140, KS on 1150. However, local noise peak
around here [KLEY not heard following few days]

1210, at 2041 UT, KGYN Guymon OK, JBA talk, much weaker on groundwave
than normal, so maybe on night pattern direxional west, just like
sometimes at night obviously on ND day pattern

1520, at 2022 UT, KOKC has constant JBA ~1 kHz het, from 1521? Saudi?
Hard to believe as previously discussed, but 2 megawatts! At home on
R75 by 2225, unheard. Supposedly closes circa 2230. Or some domestic
consistently off-frequency? Or a local-area spur like 1640 around 595?

1540, at 2025 UT, English talkshow echoing from two different
stations: KXEL IA has Dave Ramsey, and so does the nearest, KNGL
McPherson KS. No Spanish ESPND yet from KZMP Metroplex as expected;
after a break, echoing resumes at 2035

1650, circa 2030 UT cannot detect KFSW Sallisaw OK, despite further X
-banders audible now, 1660 KWOD KC and 1700 KKLF Metroplex. All
supposed to be 10 kW ND --- except KKLF is really only 5 kW even with
better signal. 1650 does have splash from local KZLS, but even at home
on R75 with USB tuning I do not hear KFSW, day; or night when KZLS ACI
is not a problem. Why must OK`s only X-band stations be on adjacent
frequencies? (Some DXers like to believe 1650 is in Arkansas, Fort
Smith.) Iowa`s wound up 20 kHz apart.

Sometime I did hear a bit of praise music on 1650, which could be KFSW
in REL:CHR format (unless it was Denver in Spanish), but I cannot
believe KFSW is anywhere near nominal 10/1 kW U1 as licensed. You may
recall that in its previous incarnation KWHN/KYHN, it was hard not to
get here at night, suspected 10 kW then (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST) More about KFSW below

** U S A. 770, Jan 29 from 1414 UT weak signal in English, as I am
standing by for KKOB Albuquerque NM to pop onto 50 kW ND day pattern
--- which it does at 1415.5, mid-word discussion about recycling
plastic bags --- not a word of greeting to all their new listeners to
the east now getting an initially VG signal. In Feb its daytime span
will be 1400-0045 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880-USB + carrier, Feb 1 at 0333 UT I am trying to hear KHAC
Tse Bonito NM; having realized I have not been running across it
lately as it was easy during a long span of 10 kW ND day power at
night rather than 430 watts ND.

On the R75 with E-W longwire, 880 is still dominated by DSB KRVN from
the north, altho it has an ad mentioning MST --- but about a third of
Nebraska is on MST, one boundary on I-80 being about halfway between
North Platte and Ogallala, certainly in KRVN`s coverage area from
Lexington further east.

I try again at 0635 UT Feb 1, this time on the DX-398 which is what it
takes to null KRVN as much possible and hear another station on USB
but no LSB, which must be KHAC, praise music in English, not Navajo.
It`s VP with a 7 Hz SAH. KLRG AR I think has been reactivated and
could also be in mix with religion, but it`s DSB.

At 0650 amid praise music, ID sounds like ``right here on KJCC and
KWIN 104.9``. But I know they must really be saying KHAC and KWIM!
Because there is a KWIM 104.9 in adjacent Window Rock AZ --- not KWIN,
but meaning Western Indian Ministries, i.e. attempting to deprive
Dineh of original religion and turn them into Protestants, a kind of
cultural genocide; as per WTFDA FM Database:

KWIM 104.9 WINDOW ROCK AZ USA 30.0 kW ERP H&V, 91.0 m HAAT H&V, at 35
-39-19 N, 109-01-59 W, CONTEMPORARY CHRISTIAN, MUSIC WITH A MESSAGE.

But the DB makes no connexion with KHAC 880, despite a blank field for
// source of programming! Likewise, the NRC AM Log entry for 880 KHAC
makes no mention of any FM (nor the very significant fact that 880
suppresses LSB).

Is the FM really in AZ or NM? Strange as it may seem, the AZ/NM
straight N-S borderline is not exactly at the 109-00-00 W meridian,
but a mile or two west of there per Rand McNally atlas. Was this the
result of a surveying error back in the day when the territory was
being divided in twain? Likewise Utah/Colorado above the Four Corners.

To hear KHAC while legally on 10 kW ND daypower, note that February
official SR/SS times are 1400/0100 UT; best chances for getting out
just after 1400 or before 0100.

660 KTNN, 50 kW secular Navajo station is in a similar situation, not
heard lately, best when not protecting NYC (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1140, re my report about KCXL, Liberty MO, Raymie Humbert,
AZ, replies Jan 27 on the WTFDA Forum: ``Worth noting that IHR and
Relevant Radio merged in 2017 to create a much larger Relevant Radio,
though Immaculate Heart survived as the licensee`` (Glenn Hauser, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1170, Jan 31 at 2010 UT on caradio, KFAQ Tulsa IBOC noise
seems off; can`t hear any on 1160 or 1180, but nothing else to be
heard either. At night it really messes up KSL (which I suppose is
also still IBOC too, serving them right). Certainly no conclusions yet
about KFAQ IBOC (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1157 & 1183 peaks, Feb 1 at 0347 UT, IBOC noise from 1170
KFAQ Tulsa is certainly on now, tho not heard earlier in the daytime.
Forget about clearhearing KSL 1160 unless USB-tuned and KFAQ be nulled
as much as possible.

I seldom listen deliberately to KFAQ but per NRC AM Log it has no FM!
How can a mere 50/50 kW MW station get by without at least a 250-watt
translator now? like rival talker KRMG is now a bigger FM station with
an AM 740 legacy appendage (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1450, Jan 31 at 1959 UT on caradio, one station in CCI
also vs spur het from 1390 KCRC, partial ID as 100.9 FM, into network
news. NRC AM Log shows of the three Okies on 1450, the one with 100.9,
K265FE, is KGFF Shawnee (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1470, Jan 29 around 1400 UT, a bit of Spanish in the mix vs
TX and KS stations. Still trying to get a definite ID for ``La Nueva
1470`` from KWSL Sioux City IA, 2.3 kW ND (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1470, Jan 31 at 1359 UT, Spanish fades in slightly above the
CCI, can`t catch ID if any, but YL DJ is giving 800 number(s); 1402
song ``El DÃa del Marmota``, which means groundhog as well as marmot
altho my Langenscheidt dixionary does not know that; getting a jump on
him. L dix also says the word is feminine, but what about male
marmots? I think the song sang del rather than de la. Again presumed
KWSL Sioux City IA, for which NNE DF fits, and there are no SS Texans
in the opposite SSW direxion. BTW, when I was monitoring the webstream
the other day, the legal IDer pronounced KWSL in English, then
attempted to pronounce the X in Sioux not realizing that it is plenty
silent. Must not be a local (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1470, re my report about KWSL, Sioux City IA, Raymie Humbert,
AZ, replies Jan 27 on the WTFDA Forum: ``Alex "El Genio" Lucas is a
national syndicated show`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1520, Jan 31 at 2012 UT again I have that JBA ~1 kHz het
vs KOKC on caradio in western Enid; 1521 Saudi or something. Much
closer hi-end skywave certainly in play (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1550, Feb 3 at 1458 UT, ``Cape Radio 100.3`` with event
calendar info about somethings in Cottonwood, Cape Girardeau. 1459 UT
ToH legal ID goes ``Cape Radio 100.3 and 1550 KAPE, Cape Girardeau``,
Missouri. Guess what, top-billed 100.3 has its own callsign, K262AX,
but announcing that would give away that it`s but a puny translator.
1550 a dominant signal still a sesquihour after sunrise here. Is on 5
kW daypower, direxional, circle pattern tangent westward. Has no
problem overcoming 1550 KRZD Springfield MO, 5 kW ND, more than
halfway between us, if it`s really on the air (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1650, Feb 1 at 0311 UT, making a concerted effort to hear
KFSW Sallisaw: now there is some gospel music and ID mentioning ``98-
7``, which fits for ``Life 98.7``, K254AM, which I suspect is really
across the frontier in Fort Smith AR. 1650 sig is poor, not comparable
to other X-banders, and heavy SAH of 152/minute = 2.53 Hz, probably
with KCNZ IA, but plenty of CCI also from CO & TX. This is on the E-W
longwire which favors KFSW, and no problem at night from local
adjacent 1640. Since I don`t hear KFSW at all in daytime or twilight,
strongly suspect they are running only 1 kW day and night rather than
10 kW day --- and this AM station still exists only to feed the much
more important mere FM translator in the city of license (Glenn
Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---