Re: [IRCA] Upcoming DX Tests (New KAVT Fresno Test!)

At 02:38 PM 12/23/2005, you wrote:
>Since it wasn't obvious, I checked to see what was unique about the
>KAVT test and quickly saw it was running day power at night.
>
>That made sense as a good DX test, but something else I came across
>did not.  KAVT is listed on Radio-Locator as:
>     * Antenna Mode     Non-Directional - 2 Patterns *
>
>Right away I had to ask, how can a non-directional antenna have two
>patterns.  So I went to the FCC database and  found there was only a
>single tower, further adding to my confusion, but got a slightly
>different listing:
>     * ND2 - Non-directional Antenna: Different constants day and night *
>
>Since I have no idea what that means, it is easier to accept.  It
>would be nice, though, to actually understand it.
>
>Would anyone care to take on the task of trying to explain this to me?

It's my understanding that the way the CDBS database is now set up,
it pretty much has to have separate records for day and night
operation for each AM station - and if anything at all is different
between day and night (in this case, 10 kW day vs. 1 kW night), it
absolutely will have two records.

There are still a lot of "ND1" records in the database, because it's
not automatically updated to reflect the new standards unless a
station applies for a change of some sort. Look, for instance, at
KOZI 1230 in Chelan WA - it was in the database as "ND1," but has
filed a minor application to correct its coordinates. There's no
actual change in the station's operation, but when the application is
processed, KOZI will become "ND2" in the database.