Re: [IRCA] Listeners outside of the core market was Re: KPOJ 620Portland is now IBOC

Re: [IRCA] Listeners outside of the core market was Re: KPOJ 620Portland is now IBOC

> I see an inconsistency with the notion that stations don't care
> about listeners outside of their core market.  WBZ STILL advertises
> that they broadcast to 38 states AND they receive calls from
> listeners all up and down the Atlantic Seaboard.  It sounds like to
> me that there are some people who are (and I don't mean to be
> offensive) are ignorant about skip and the fact that there are a
> significant number of listeners outside of the core market for
> stations like WBZ.

There is an inconsistency, but it's between the local station and corporate
management.  The local guys do care, and promote that distant listenership
aspect.  Corporate management and ownership doesn't care and sets the
overall mission to fit the localism mindset.  David Gleason pointed that
out, and what we see does seem to verify it.  I'm not seeing the local guys
buying into this "vision".  To them, IBOC and localism more often than not
are a nuisance fobbed off on them from afar.  They want to cover the world,
if they could, and this simply gets in the way.  But, jobs are tough to find
these days, and it never helps to torque off the boss.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI