Re: [IRCA] Yes, SAH!

Qalarmann quipped querespetically, (I just made that up),

>Another important element was that when he heard something that might
have been a new station, he reported >specifically what he heard and the
evidence he offered to support his belief. I recall how hard he chased
after >"Radio Mendéz, the 10 kw. Bolivian on 680 that was available to
me in Houston and Larry Godwin in Boulder >during a 20-minute break on
Monday morning after KNBC signed off and before WAPA signed on. In
Colorado >and Texas, we had no QRM from the Boston station (WNAC back
then -- 1966, because of its directional >pattern, and Mendéz was in the
clear. I had moved to Watertown, just a few blocks west of Nelson's
apartment >at 19 Irma Avenue, and early in 1967, he found a Monday
morning when WNAC was silent, made a tape of the >unmistakable Aymará
music sound, and I was able to confirm absolutely what he had heard. By
the way, I >should give credit to Larry Godwin ... he was the first to
discover the Bolivian ... he beat me to it by one week ... >but we both
got good, detailed letter veries before the deluge to the station came
on.

GPN was an absolute pit bull when it came to some new opportunity.
Remember when he got WBZ to read poetry at 0530 on Sunday
mornings, so China-1040 could be hrd w/o WBZ splash.

Oh yes, Mendez will for me be one of those that "got away". I have a
recollection
of being able to listen one morning and hearing what I think was their
distinctive mx coming through some interference, but I haver had any
kind of definite log. I think back then was when I was starting out at
WCBS and there was a conflict with the times that Messr. Paley and
Stanton thought I should be turning knobs on an audio mixer board,
not a receiver.

Back then, the way we learned of these new catches was by waiting
for printed bulletins to arrive, if we didn't telephone each other. The
news could be a couple of weeks old.

>Godwin was good, too. He rediscovered summer Southern Hemisphere DX in
1958, back when most of us >were turning off our radios because of
summer static. I think he and I were the first DX'ers to hear JBC-700
>when it came on the air in 1958, among others, but Larry was able to
spend more time at the dials than I, so he >was first on a lot of
stations.

Yes, LBG discovered the mid-summer (in NAm) effect that let CB76
Santiago, Chile (on 760) for one, be heard in California at sunrise,
with
WJR etc long into daylight. This was way before KFMB etc of course.

The reverse condition today would let Easter Island be heard on the
East Coast at local June sunset. The one missing ingredient is a 50 kW
MW station on Easter island. That may not happen any time soon...

First DXer to win the Powerball has to promise to build one there for
us...

>Not to mention Bob Foxworth, who has never, in the nearly 50 years I've
known him, has written a thing with >which I would disagree.

Thank you John, Say, just how "OLD" are we nowadays, anyway ???

>And there's Ben Dangerfield in Pennsylvania who is Mr. Steady, Mr.
Reliable, when it comes to TA openings. >He and Connelly keep us alert
today.

Two of the masters. Far ahead of anything I ever accomplished,
though my 49 states (48 veried from NJ or NC) and 85-odd countries
( many just hrd) have been a great satisfaction for me.

>John Callarman, Krum, Texas

I treasure these reminisces, John. Take care, and safe journey,

- Bob