[IRCA] IBOC again...

Sorry to be rare guys.  Not much time to listen or participate with the
honey-do list I was handed a few days ago.  Let me tell you, painting in
100+ degree heat- not fun.

Anyway, heard up that the sound quality on IBOC is based on a codec with a
sample rate of 32kbps.  Is this true?  That's a little better than
telephone-quality sound, IIRC.  Midrange emphasis at mono with this sample
rate...how do you get a STEREO signal with the information now split to
STEREO.  Has someone changed the laws of physics lately?  I musta missed
that.

Also, a company named iBiquity seems to be the sole maker of IBOC equipment-
that the government has pretty much given them a monopoly- it's their way or
no way, so the story went.

Sad that the FCC is allowing companies such power over the airwaves with
little input from radio people who have been in the job (and hobby) for
lifetimes.

Money talks, entertainment walks.

--
dgasque