Re: [IRCA] Noisy cable TV

Rick,

More good info it will take me a while to go through.  I can only answer
some of your questions.

There is no ground on the new utility pole that I noticed.  I'll look again
tomorrow.  The noise can be nulled and points to the pole -- and to the
cable coax from the pole -- but it's not possible to be more specific.  The
noise does not appear on power lines or phone lines in the house, just the
cable coax.

There is no such thing as cool weather, there is hot, and not so
hot...south Florida, don't you know. ;-)

It's tough to compare the pole installation to others because this pole has
a junction of a major -- 2+ inch thick -- TV cable, splitting and going off
in two different directions.  There is a large black block hanging on the
cable with two less thick cables and smaller leads coming out, I assume
this is a junction for the local drops and the split.  The only pole
mounted box is telephone.  There is no power transformer, the local drops
tap directly into the three power wires on the pole.  All of the power line
fixtures are new along with the pole.  The phone drop was replaced and
buried several months ago.

Now that you mention it, there are occasions especially during the day,
when digital TV signals lock-up or pixelate for several seconds, I've not
thought to relate that bad behavior to the other problems.  I assumed this
to be satellite signal reception problems at the cable company.  Otherwise
the TV quality is as good as it ever has been.  The system has undergone
recent upgrades -- that was the excuse for extended outages, a least -- but
does belong to Adelphia Cable which is bankrupt amongst other problems, and
being divied up between a couple larger scavengers, so who knows what's
going on.

No so long ago, tuning to unused channel 117 brought up a camera focused on
an oscilloscope face.  No doubt related to system performance but I have no
idea what the trace represented.  Unfortunately, when I check now my TV
screen goes black, indicating something is there not just noise, but not
the nifty scope display.

Grounding by the various services at the back of my house is best described
as inspired.  The house is nearly fifty years old and some of this stuff
has been there since day one, some of it is just a few months old, and the
rest lies somewhere in between.  There are the three utilities as well as
junction boxes for the pool pump fuses and the timer.  The cable TV
grounding block is actually connected to a conduit descending down from the
pool pump fuse box and seems to contain a ground wire, but is not itself
part of the ground.  This immediately caught my eye, but will need closer
examination to decide just what is grounded to what.

The most telling clue I think, is the strong noise that can be heard
placing an AM radio (I don't have a VHF radio to try, plus I have digital
service which I assume would act differently than analog) next to the Cable
TV coax at the front of the house, completely away from all the other
services at the back.  The noise is raucous there and can be tracked back
through the house right under where the cable coax crosses from front to
back along the roof.

Afraid I'm providing a whole bunch of disjointed information, but the
comments from the list have been great.  I am going to keep all the good
suggestion in mind and hope the cable guy can use some of them to track
down the problem.

Thanks.

Curt