Re: [IRCA] way OT: Truthfulness and the seafarer (was WABV explodes)

Re: [IRCA] way OT: Truthfulness and the seafarer (was WABV explodes)

Steve wrote-

> I see so many former US Navy folks on the list, so feel compelled to add
> the OT fun by stating I also did 7 years in the Navy, 1966-1973, as a
> surface Sonarman, reaching E-6 rank for several years.
> I too have never known any Navy person to ever stretch the truth, let
alone
> tell any "sea stories" that weren't totally factual, even after a long
night
> of very-moderate imbibing of refreshments.
So, with so many verifing that naval personell never lie, I wonder where the
idea came from that they do???

>(Mixed drinks were 10 cents each at my various overseas liberty ports, so
many years ago.)
You were in the rich ports. We only got prts that were for the poor man.
Most I paid in the Azoes was 7 cents a bottle. Believe me, it was only worth
7 cents!! Never cared for green beer, except on St. Patties day. Think this
stuff had some type of bugs swimming in it, and their excrection turned the
beer green and foamy. A little meat in the beer is always good, if only for
a change.

>>........ I went up to the bridge where there was an inclinometer to watch
how far the >>ship rolled. ..... ship took a 55 degree roll.
I am surprised you did not capsize. Most we ever took was a 35 degree rolls
to port and then ro starborad. It was in hurricane Inez in October 1966, and
we were east of the Bahamas.

>I could hear things that weren't tied down crashing to the deck all over
the ship.
Steve, what kind of ship?

> I've also been through hurricanes, and even went through
> the eye of the hurricane once, where it was all perfectly calm for about a
> 1/2 mile radius, with 100 foot waves outside of that. That didn't last
very
> long until the storm overtook us and we were back in the thick of it once
> again.
In Inez it was just like watching "Victory at sea" moves except in real
life. I was up on the bridge, on the 03 level, and I remember being under
water.

On one cruise the ship hit a submerged, waterlogged timber that
> apparently had gotten loose from a barge we'd passed towing
chained-together
> logs. That sheared some blades off the screws. We spent a month in the
> drydock in the Philippines from that incident.
> Ah, lots of good memories, and I got to see a lot of the world, courtesy
of
> the Navy. We spent an average of 9 months out of the year at sea out of my
5
> years on that ship. I did three Med cruises, two Western Pacific/Vietnam
> cruises and one around-the-world cruise.
> Steve AA7U
Yes, it was the best time of 8 years of my life, at a time, unlike today,
when only half the world hated us.

Willis, K4APE
Old Fort, TN