Re: [IRCA] Current UltraLight Distance Records

Re: [IRCA] Current UltraLight Distance Records

Paul,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I've been involved in administering the 2008 "Cabin Fever" Ultralight DX Sprint that occurred about ten days ago. It was a 4 hour DX event that participants could spread over a four day weekend as they wished. Sorry that you missed it.... It was so much fun that I'm sure that we'll do another one, possibly as soon as mid-summer and certainly in October. Anyway, I just completed my part of the admin chores this moprning and could find time to answer e-mail.

Was really happy to hear from you! We are having so much fun over here that I just can't imagine some of the UK folks not getting involved. Hopefullly, you are the first of at least a hardcore handful of DXers from The Old Country who will become active in this craziness.

The motherlode of information on Ultralighting and the normal repository for the Ultralight Firsts and Records is the Ultralight Files area of the very nice Canadian website, dxer.ca. The url for the files area is http://www.dxer.ca/component/option,com_docman/task,cat_view/gid,87/Itemid,77/ There are about two dozen files there.... and at least half of them should be interesting to you.

So far, there is no special set of records for European and African DXers, though if things get going, I'll be happy to help someone start such. However, about half of what I've been keeping on this side o the Pond are World-wide Firsts and Distance Records.... open to any ultralighter, anywhere. The other half of the distance records are for DXers living in the Americas.

Having your first Ultralight DX reception be a new World-wide First (it is the first Ultralight DX reception of Taiwan by anyone anywhere!) is an absolute GREAT way to start, Paul!!!! You are also the first non-North American to establish any Ultralight First or Distance Record. BRAVO!!! If you go forward with this (and we really hope that you will), be sure and keep good notes so that your receptions can be recorded in a section for European/African DXers, should such be established.

So far, you and Barry Davies are the only UK-based DXers who have inquired further after the articles in MWC. We really hope that you two can encourage others to get started. As you are finding out, this Ultralight craziness is so much fun that it ought to be illegal! Its even got me to start DXing North American domestics for the first time since February,1960!

You might consider joining the irca mailing list, at least for a while. It is where Ultralighting got started and is still a center of discussion about various aspects of the movement. You can find that webpage easily with google.

I'll be updating the Firsts and Records on dxer.ca after next weekend and I'll send you a copy of the new one, too. By the way, was your reception with the SRF-59 "barefoot" or did you have it inductively coupled to your antenas??? We keep two sets of records, one for "Barefoot Class" Receivers and one for "Unlimited" Class.

Thanks again for your note, Paul! Do let me know of any other potential Firsts or Records! I'll send you the current listing in a separate e-mail.

John B.
Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, NRD-535(kiwa-mods), Lotsa Ultralights
Antennas: 700' NE/SW mini-Bev, Wellbrook Phased Array (pre-production version)